The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Serpent smm and dry hits

Discussion in 'Tanks, clearomizers and drop-in coils' started by Amaksoud, Jan 10, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Amaksoud

Amaksoud New Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Hello,

I’ve been in trouble with my serpent smm tank since I bought it. It’s either leaking or giving light dry hits after a few consecutive buffs.

I was able to make a coil that does not leak but still getting this light dry hits usually appearing at the 3rd or 4th buff.

I have tried multiple wecks and builds with no luck so far and even went to several vape stores and friends who used it before but still the same.

I’m using a Vaperosso Revenger mod with a coil resistance of 0.39 ohm.

Any suggestions?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    What kind of coil build, and how and with what are you wicking it? What you’re describing is almost always a wicking issue.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Vapemesilly

Vapemesilly Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 21, 2017
    Nevada
    IMO every RTA has that sweet spot where you aren't leaking and aren't getting dry hits. Sometimes that sweet spot is hard to find. I use 2 RTA's, one being the SMM. Every now and then, I will get a couple of dry hits. It's the wicking. Try again!

I have an RTA that I finally gave up on. Could not find that sweet spot between leaks and dry hits. It sits in a box now.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Amaksoud

Amaksoud New Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I’m new to all this so I’m not sure if this is the correct answer to your questions or not

I’m using clapton wire and beacon cotton
    The cotton is most thick inside the coil but thinner at the 2 edges/sides (where you fluf the cotton)

• Like Like x 1
  5. lupinehorror

lupinehorror numpty wrangler Verified Member

Supporting member
    Jul 11, 2017
    alba
    cotton expands when it soaks up the juice...maybe try a little less in the coil

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. QcVaper

QcVaper Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 17, 2017
    Canada/Quebec
    what's your wattage ? Could be you're too high, that's what i did with mine went from like 50 watts to about 37, and i use a .2 0hm coil at 3mm diameter.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Second this. Too much in the coil itself and it will not wick as efficiently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    You might want to try rayon (although you are getting good advice above) rayon shrinks so it should be fairly tight in the coil, with the ends fairly well thinned and trimmed. It really solved all of my wicking issues, it seems to play to my strengths... overstuffing the coil, LOL. But try the above suggestions and see if it helps. It does seem counterintuitive at times to use less wick, but it can help with dry hits with cotton.

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted out. Wicking always seemed like such a chore getting it right (maybe because it's that last step, almost, too, and I always feel like it should be easy) so the added vaping life of a rayon wick is nice for this lazy vaper, (although I am no longer approaching coiling and wicking with as much trepidation as I was, now that I've figured out what works for me...)

Best of luck with it.

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  9. Publicvapor

Publicvapor Ultra Member Verified Member

Dec 17, 2017
    USA UNITED STATES
    Had same issues leaking dry hits etc... what I did was use a bigger coil 3.5mm or 4mm id.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.