Seven atomizers in 12 hours. /sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XDoctor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2009
Casper, WY
I also posted this in the Thag Built forums, but am getting no responses over there, hoping maybe some of you guys might have some bright ideas.

Hey guys, got my Chuck a few weeks back, its my first mod, but I've been vaping for a couple years. The Chuck has been blowing atomizers a LOT faster than my ego was. Until today I considered it an acceptable rate, but I got to work at 9am, using a 510 atomizer from Totally Wicked that was new three days ago. It stopped working at 9:05. I plugged in another one that I've been using for a few days and it stopped at 9:30. I was at 7.2V.

I switched to a brand new low resistance Cisco 306 and an 18650, dripped in five drops, let it sit for ten minutes, got four drags off it and it stopped.

I switched to another brand new LR Cisco 306. It worked until about noon and then blew.

I then went to a Cisco LR510, it lasted until 5:00 and died when I left work.

Out of low resistance atomizers, I plugged in a brand new standard resistance atty from TW, stayed at 3.7V and it lasted a half hour.

Just burned out #7, my last working atomizer.

I've been really careful to never hold the button down more than a second and a half, especially since about #3 died today. I've been very sure to keep the atomizers properly wet with juice... I just don't get it.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm back on my ego with the mega atomizers now because I've literally burned out every single atomizer that fits my Chuck in the last twelve hours. I tested everything with a multimeter and the voltages are all where they're supposed to be. I just don't get it. Does it just cost about $60 a day to use a Chuck?

Buzzy

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2010
Chicago
I don't have a chuck, and have not tried 7.4v. But from what I have read, you must use hv atties with 6 or 7.4v. Anything else will just blow out. 7.4 is really HV, and requires 3.5ohm or higher atties. As for your problem at 3.7v, hm. I'm not sure. The LRs I can understand since any dryness of the atty will result in failure - and it is really easy to get them a bit too dry. But the Cisco atties have a very good reputation. And to have it happen on the std resistance atty too?? Egad!
I wonder if the 18650 batt at full charge is producing a bit of overvoltage? A fully charged batt will do that. But even so, that's a lot of atties to blow. Sorry I can't give you any clear answers. But...what kind of eliquid are you using? pg or vg or a mix? Even tho' I don't have a Chuck, I have three other 3.7v mods, and have never had this kind of a problem. Good luck with a solution.

mdocod

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2010
Colorado
Definitely need 4.5Ohm atty's for the 7.4V config. For the 3.7V config, keep in mind that even a standard resistance 510 based atty will be over-driven, since 510 based batteries operate closer to 3.2V. Fresh from the charger, an 18650 can deliver over 4V unto the load of an atty. Use either standard 306/510s or LR 801/808/901 type atty's IMO.

Are you getting proper wicking? Things tasting OK? In my experience an atty will produce horrendous flavors before it burns out. Are you keeping it wet?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Last edited:

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
For any PV that is over 5V, use HV atty's. They even make 5v HV atty's as well. If you don't, certain death will occur quickly. I found it out much like yourself. Do not use LR's. LR's are only "supposed" to be used for proprietary 3.7v batteries like the eGo/Riva's to simulate 5v vaping.

If you find your voltage too high, ie burnt tasting, but 3.7v too low for your liking, notcigs.com has something called the terminator. It makes your fixed voltage adjustable. Costs $40 plus shipping but well worth the money. I have 2 and love them. If I had to stay fixed on that high of a voltage, I would sell the PV's. I don't prefer any voltage about 4.7v...my juices looses flavor and tastes burnt. Just my 2 cents.

thefinder808

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2010
Nashville
I think some of you guys need to reread the original post...he never used the LR at 7.4 he used it at 3.7v on an 18650 which he said he tested with a multimeter and found it to be at acceptable voltage. If you can't use LR attys on an 18650 battery that's not overcharged there is a problem...especially when they blow out so damn quickly. And even the standard resistance 510? I seriously doubt it's user error here guys...unless he's just running these completely dry and loves the taste of burning nichrome. If I were you I would contact the manufacturer for sure and tell him what's going on. E-mail him. I use LR306s, LR510s, and standard 510s at 3.7v with an 18650 on my SB all the time and they last for a good 3-5 weeks. As for 6v I use cartos because I wasn't having much luck with HV or standard attys at that voltage. I've never vaped at 7.4v but you definitely need a high voltage atty at that high a voltage. Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread