Status
Not open for further replies.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I hope you all will post your opinions on these old mixes. Most didn't sound good to me but I might try a few.

First of all, I am not trying them all. Don't care much for fruity vapes, or alcoholic beverages.
But I do intend to review a few of the ones I actually like. Expect those to be sweets and/or bakery recipes. I use a lot of Vanilla flavors, so that means two weeks steep time.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Hmmmm....I just started my DYI process. Kinda fun! I tried to open the files but was unable to. (I am on an Ipad). Any suggestions? You had me at Gambit!
On your iPad click on the file name "ClonedEjuice.pdf" (see screenshot).
Screen shot 2022-01-05 at 9.06.51 AM.png

Your iPad will present you with a new screen showing the file type (pdf), name of the file (ClonedEjuice.pdf) and the file size (data 229 KB).

Below that you will see some dialog. First one is "Open in Books". Click on that and your iPad will automatically save the file on the iPad and open the file in the Books app.

That's all you need to do in order to use any PDF file on your iPad.

I'm thinking you are familiar with using the Books app as it's part of the default iOS installation.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I hope you all will post your opinions on these old mixes. Most didn't sound good to me but I might try a few.
Even with posting reviews for any of those mixes our tastes are all pretty different. Frankly, I'm not so sure how helpful that would be to anyone. I haven't made any of those mixes in years. The ones I did try were decent.

I do agree with you in that I would not make many of them because of my personal tastes. However I do think the PDF's will be helpful, and good reference material, for those just getting going with DIY and perhaps for folks looking for some cloned juice(s). In either case there is enough material to help anyone with DIY.

Personally, I like browsing through them to see how folks used different combinations of flavors. Sometimes I'll see a combination of flavors I've not thought of and run with it in creating my own mix. That's the same way I use ELR, ATF, etc. etc..

Also, bear in mind that the three PDF's were published in 2015. There have been hundreds of new flavors released since then as well as offerings from new flavor houses that were not around back then.

The Charlie Noble recipes Matt has released are IMO good. When I made those I cut the %'s in half. His notes alone are a valuable resource. :)

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Hmmmm....I just started my DYI process. Kinda fun! I tried to open the files but was unable to. (I am on an Ipad). Any suggestions? You had me at Gambit!

OK, I hope this doesn't come off as lecturing, insulting or self-promotion....
But you did say that you've just started DIY. There are several important "Stickies" concerning the care and cautions associated with DIY. I use 100mg nicotine in a VG solution. I wash my hands after each mix. If I am mixing several bottles and flavors, I wash up after each mix. I don't believe I am hurting myself, but I wouldn't stick my hand into a jar of nicotine and then go sit down and watch a movie. Some cautions are advised.
I started a thread for DIY newcomers about five years ago. Just in case you haven't seen it ;

Recipes for Dummies

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Even with posting reviews for any of those mixes our tastes are all pretty different. Frankly, I'm not so sure how helpful that would be to anyone.

I am aware all tastes are subjective. Not everyone will like what I like.
Still, I don't mind sharing my opinions. In another thread in the "Liquid Extraction from Tobacco" sub-forum, I have shared dozens of reviews of tobacco flavors I have extracted. Others have also added their thoughts. Sometimes they agree, sometimes they form their own opinions.
But it's like I've posted (repeatedly) in the Milder Side of NET's thread, "Compliance is NOT a requirement".

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
I'm on a Mac Book, shouldn't be that different. Click of the tab @ShowMeTwice posted, and it should automatically "Download" the pdf file. Go to Downloads, and open the new file.
I mixed up my own little version of Gambit last night ; Apple (TFA) 7%, then 2% each of Caramel V2 (CAP), French Vanilla (TFA), Graham Cracker (CAP), and Whipped Cream (TFA).
It might work, if the flavors play well together. Or it might suck. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks.
Thank you @PapawBrett for your kind kindness! It worked! Keep us posted on your Gambit recipe. And thank you @ShowMeTwice for your posts. Helpful. Good day all!

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
OK, I hope this doesn't come off as lecturing, insulting or self-promotion....
But you did say that you've just started DIY. There are several important "Stickies" concerning the care and cautions associated with DIY. I use 100mg nicotine in a VG solution. I wash my hands after each mix. If I am mixing several bottles and flavors, I wash up after each mix. I don't believe I am hurting myself, but I wouldn't stick my hand into a jar of nicotine and then go sit down and watch a movie. Some cautions are advised.
I started a thread for DIY newcomers about five years ago. Just in case you haven't seen it ;

Recipes for Dummies
Yep, it doesn’t sound like you are lecturing one bit. I appreciate all the suggestions. I too use 100 mg nicotine with great care and caution. Chemicals are to be treated with respect. Thank you again!

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
@Robinowitz, in addition to @PapawBrett's last post on DIY, and in the same vein of trying to be helpful, as Brett mentioned there are like 10 useful Stickies in the DIY section. Many are dated but the general info is still applicable.

DIY E-Liquid

In addition, there is also Random DIY mixing and More

Like Brett's Recipes for Dummies thread the Random DIY thread is also another good place to post and ask DIY questions.

In addition, there are hundreds of good recipes in Zazie's Blog.
Zazie's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
Most are recipes created by ECF members.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I am aware all tastes are subjective. Not everyone will like what I like.
Still, I don't mind sharing my opinions. In another thread in the "Liquid Extraction from Tobacco" sub-forum, I have shared dozens of reviews of tobacco flavors I have extracted. Others have also added their thoughts. Sometimes they agree, sometimes they form their own opinions.
But it's like I've posted (repeatedly) in the Milder Side of NET's thread, "Compliance is NOT a requirement".
I totally hear ya! :thumb: I was just trying to say I wasn't sure how helpful reviews would be.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
@Robinowitz, in addition to @PapawBrett's last post on DIY, and in the same vein of trying to be helpful, as Brett mentioned there are like 10 useful Stickies in the DIY section. Many are dated but the general info is still applicable.
DIY E-Liquid
In addition, there is also Random DIY mixing and More
Like Brett's Recipes for Dummies thread the Random DIY thread is also another good place to post and ask DIY questions.
In addition, there are hundreds of good recipes in Zazie's Blog.
Zazie's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
Most are recipes created by ECF members.

Everyone mentions Zazie's Blog, no one mentions mine :( but that's OK, I'll survive :D
PapawBrett's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Even with posting reviews for any of those mixes our tastes are all pretty different. Frankly, I'm not so sure how helpful that would be to anyone. I haven't made any of those mixes in years. The ones I did try were decent.

I do agree with you in that I would not make many of them because of my personal tastes. However I do think the PDF's will be helpful, and good reference material, for those just getting going with DIY and perhaps for folks looking for some cloned juice(s). In either case there is enough material to help anyone with DIY.

Personally, I like browsing through them to see how folks used different combinations of flavors. Sometimes I'll see a combination of flavors I've not thought of and run with it in creating my own mix. That's the same way I use ELR, ATF, etc. etc..

Also, bear in mind that the three PDF's were published in 2015. There have been hundreds of new flavors released since then as well as offerings from new flavor houses that were not around back then.

The Charlie Noble recipes Matt has released are IMO good. When I made those I cut the %'s in half. His notes alone are a valuable resource. :)
    I think it would be helpful in the same way as when folks give their opinion on their mixes on the DIY thread. I am not being negative about them and yes, they could be helpful. I like reading them and sometimes trying them to see how they turn out.

Just forget I made that comment, it is obviously not coming across with my intent.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    I think it would be helpful in the same way as when folks give their opinion on their mixes on the DIY thread. I am not being negative about them and yes, they could be helpful. I like reading them and sometimes trying them to see how they turn out.

Just forget I made that comment, it is obviously not coming across with my intent.
    I hear ya. You are coming across just fine. :thumbs:

I hope my post wasn't taken the wrong way. There was no ill intent or anything funky coming from me towards you or @PapawBrett. If it was taken that way, I sincerely apologize. I mean, I really don't post to try and upset people or anything like that. :)

Sometimes it's challenging on a forum as none of us are getting all the normal cues we'd get from each other in person. :) And I just had that conversation with @NolaMel last week. :D

It's all good! :wub:

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    Sorry!
    I just bookmarked yours. Popped it next to the bookmark for Zazie's Blog. Right along with all my other highly unorganized ECF bookmarks. :lol: :lol:

In the bottom right corner, in fine print, is "comments-1".
    Click on that for another 20 or so recipes posted on the "dummies" thread since I posted the Blog.

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    Moving at my own leisurely pace (retirement allows for such things) I managed to mix up my adjusted versions of ten 'clone' recipes. Now we wait.
    As I said on another thread, Vendors mix and mail, I mix and steep. I don't need to use as much flavoring as vendors usually do.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Last edited:

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran