Shelf life of PG and VG

Status
Not open for further replies.

mn shutterbug

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2010
Marshall, MN - USA
I'm not worried about long term storage of nicotine in glass bottles in the freezer since just about everywhere I read it states easily 10 years. However, attempting to find the same info for PG and VG is giving me mixed results. Any info I can find is years old and I've read that VG can be stored anywhere between 1 - 2 years and PG from 2 - 3 years. Anyone have more current info or actual experience? Time to stock up for the long haul although I realize I'll eventually have to get the PG and VG elsewhere. I figure if I can stock up on nicotine and hardware for the next 12 years, I should be in pretty good shape. It's going to take a lot of coils though.

mn shutterbug

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2010
Marshall, MN - USA
Since the Nicotine is diluted for storage/shipping/use in either PG or VG, let that be your guide!

I don't quite understand your meaning. I've read that nic base, diluted with PG or VG, can last 10 years or more in a freezer but PG and VG alone has a much shorter shelf life.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    IMHO, no real need to stockpile so much PG and VG that you have to worry how many years it will last.

I've read that nic base, diluted with PG or VG, can last 10 years or more in a freezer but PG and VG alone has a much shorter shelf life.

How does adding nicotine to PG and VG add to the life of PG & VG?

Fact is, you won't find a solid answer to your question. Not even for nicotine.

That 10-year frozen shelf--life "fact" that you uncovered can be negated by other sources as being much shorter.

It's all a gamble.

Last year I bought 2 gallons each of VG and PG because I was afraid of scarcity and price hikes due to covid. I store that PG and VG in glass mason jars in the fridge. Only reason why I used mason jars over boston rounds is because it was the cheaper way for me to go. I'm confident it will stay just fine in the couple years it'll take me to use it up. But if it doesn't, well, it wasn't expensive.

mn shutterbug

ECF Veteran
    Jan 19, 2010
    Marshall, MN - USA
    How does adding nicotine to PG and VG add to the life of PG & VG?

I'm not saying it would. But when buying the nic base, my choice is with PG/VG. I'd never add it to PG or VG for storage. That wouldn't make sense. I'm just wondering about the shelf life of the PG and VG, and yes, i found it is quite inexpensive and available elsewhere but just thought I'd order ahead but don't want to end up mixing up some that has gone bad if I have too much.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I'm not saying it would. But when buying the nic base, my choice is with PG/VG. I'd never add it to PG or VG for storage.

I don't follow. All nicotine base we vapers buy is mostly PG and/or VG in it unless your buying pure, 100%, 1,000mg nicotine. 100mg nic base (most popular with vapers) is only 10% nicotine - the rest is PG, VG or a mix of both (however you buy it).

Anyway, I just don't see much of a reason to buy that much plain VG or PG. But if kept in glass in a fridge or even in a cool, dark place, it should be ok for a few years. But if you want hard data, you'll have to seek that from industrial/commercial users and laboratories.

I tried looking for answers to these same questios in 2019 and came to the conclusion that no vaper actually knows the answers. vaping isn't old enough. Asnwers run all over the place.

• Agree
    Reactions: Superuser187

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    OK, simplifying it....

You buy your nic in either PG or VG, and you believe it has a shelf life of up to 10 years, frozen.
    You buy either PG or VG and you believe it only has a shelf life of up to 2 years frozen??

PG or VG can be frozen and last as long as your nic.

mn shutterbug

ECF Veteran
    Jan 19, 2010
    Marshall, MN - USA
    I don't follow. All nicotine base we vapers buy is mostly PG and/or VG in it unless your buying pure, 100%, 1,000mg nicotine. 100mg nic base (most popular with vapers) is only 10% nicotine - the rest is PG, VG or a mix of both (however you buy it).

Yes, I realize all that except I didn't realize the nic base was only 10% nicotine.

mn shutterbug

ECF Veteran
    Jan 19, 2010
    Marshall, MN - USA
    OK, simplifying it....

You buy your nic in either PG or VG, and you believe it has a shelf life of up to 10 years, frozen.
    You buy either PG or VG and you believe it only has a shelf life of up to 2 years frozen??

PG or VG can be frozen and last as long as your nic.

From everything I've read, PG nor VG will freeze. Which also means the nicotine won't freeze solidly either. I think UncleJunkie makes sense in that it doesn't pay to overstock on PG or VG.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Yes, I realize all that except I didn't realize the nic base was only 10% nicotine.

Well it depends. Some people buy stronger nic base and weaker nic base. But 100mg seems to be the norm for 90% of vapers so I assumed that's what you bought as well. However, the point is unless you are buying 1,000mg nic, your nic base is mostly PG/VG mixed with some nic.

From everything I've read, PG nor VG will freeze.

Well they do, but not at temps that any home freezer will ever reach. Freezing points for PG and VG are roughly -70F and -30F respectively (that's what google says)

Last edited:

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    According to the chem companies PG/VG has a normal shelf life of 2-3+ years, if stored in a cool, dry, dark area it is even longer. Both PG/VG are hygroscopic and should be stored in well-closed containers. I store my gallon PG/VG in the containers they come in, in the shipping box they came in, in the back of a cool dry dark closet. Never had any go bad on me.

mn shutterbug

ECF Veteran
    Jan 19, 2010
    Marshall, MN - USA
    Well they do, but not at temps that any home freezer will ever reach. Freezing points for PG and VG are roughly -70F and -30F respectively (that's what google says)

That's what I'd come across too.

According to the chem companies PG/VG has a normal shelf life of 2-3+ years, if stored in a cool, dry, dark area it is even longer. Both PG/VG are hygroscopic and should be stored in well-closed containers. I store my gallon PG/VG in the containers they come in, in the shipping box they came in, in the back of a cool dry dark closet. Never had any go bad on me.

Good to know. Thanks.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
    .......PG or VG can be frozen and last as long as your nic.

Absolutely. Back in 2014 I had a partial container of two year old PG go bad so I'm not a big fan of long term room temperature storage. I normally buy when on-sale and usually purchase in bulk so long term storage of PG/VG was a concern. Fortunately, I had the space to store mine in the freezer alongside my stockpile of liquid nic and have been doing so for many years. Works like a charm.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    ... However, attempting to find the same info for PG and VG is giving me mixed results. Any info I can find is years old and I've read that VG can be stored anywhere between 1 - 2 years and PG from 2 - 3 years. ...

I also have seen Shelf Lives similar to those when I have researched PG and VG kept in a Cool Dark Place.

I know my VG has No Problem going a Year in a Glass Bottle in the back of a Closet. And I Imagine 2 ~ 3 Years if kept in the Frig would probably Not be unheard of.

Reactions: Superuser187

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    I have VG/PG in their original gallon containers, from Bulk Apothecary, stored in my cool dry basement. They are nearly 3 years old and are perfectly fine.

FWIW, Bulk Apothecary is a major supplier of high quality USP grade PG/VG in the US. You can purchase each in as little as 16oz or by the gallon. The ultimate prepper might want the 483lb drums or 45,000lb tanker truck. ;)

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    It is hard to find solid data from manufacturers of VG and PG on shelf life. I think they do that to cover their butts in case some variable is off, like the storage container, temperature, or whatever else anyone might modify that could invalidate the numbers.

FWIW, over the years I have bought both VG and PG with a 'manufactured on' date and a 'best before' date noted (which is not a 'throw out at' date, but a 'at least good until' date) of 4 years for PG and 2 for VG. I assume those dates were at room temperature (I think that is between 68 to 77 °F) and since they were in known plastic containers they should have considered that. I have taken both to their best before dates and they looked, smelled and vaped just fine.

NCC

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2010
    Fla Panhandle, USA
    I've been stocking up on 100mg nic, mods, coils but not vg and pg. Is it effected by the vape mail ban? If so to late for me now.
    Can I just buy it from non vape site as needed? Sure hope so, mow I'm nevous
    VG and PG are readily available from non-vape sources, EVEN WalMart:
    VG PG
    Make sure what you buy is food grade USP.

• Agree
    Reactions: zoiDman
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread