Sherlock Ohms looking for Dr. Wattson (Batitude will do)

Status
Not open for further replies.

papabogart

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Satis, Faction
Thanks to all the advice and links from Batitude I've gotten into rebuildables (rda). I've found that duals help the flavor of some of the eliquids I'm using but I've run into a problem. Total ohms of the duals is 1.6. In order to get the coils to fire up (glow red-within a reasonable time-like under 2 seconds) I need to set my wattage at no less than 10.4 watts (now I understand why people recommend Provari, etc. over the evic). The explaination will probably be over my head, but what, if anything, can I do to create a dual coil that will operate at lower wattage? If anyone could refer me to something that explains the science (amps and volts) needed for parallel resistors, that'd be great.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
if the measured resistance is 1.6 then each coil is actually 3.2 (they should be wrapped as close to identical as possible) while 10.4 watts seems like a lot you have to remember this is only 5.2 watts going to each coil, only two things can be done in this situation. either wrap a lower resistance for both coils bringing the total down as well or go to a single coil so one coil gets all of the power.

papabogart

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Satis, Faction
Follow up question: How does one calculate the effect of the amount of wire used? (e.g. a 1.2 ohm coil made of 30 guage is going to have much more mass than one made of 34 guage) Ohms law doesn't seem to be involved. Is it just a matter of more time needed to reach the desired temperature? Is there a formula for calculating that? Thanks.
BTW, am I correct that not only is the wattage and voltage being split between the two coils with a regulated mod, but the amperage also?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Follow up question: How does one calculate the effect of the amount of wire used? (e.g. a 1.2 ohm coil made of 30 guage is going to have much more mass than one made of 34 guage) Ohms law doesn't seem to be involved. Is it just a matter of more time needed to reach the desired temperature? Is there a formula for calculating that? Thanks.
BTW, am I correct that not only is the wattage and voltage being split between the two coils with a regulated mod, but the amperage also?

yup everything will be split down the middle between two equal coils. which is why even in the best situation the response time for dual coils on something like an evic will always be slow. if all you can get is 10 watts total, thats only going to be 5 watts per coil.

theres no real formula for what wire for what purpose.
just a general rule of thumb. you dont usually try for high resistance with thicker wire and your never going to get low resistance with thinner gauges
there are some exceptions like nano coils and whatnot. but in general you usually use the wire that gives the best response time for the power you are using.. a good example on my mechanical i use 28g for around .7-.8 ohms that same atty on my provari will be 2 ohms with 32g for almost the same results.

Last edited:

DrillRX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2013
California, USA
Thanks to all the advice and links from Batitude I've gotten into rebuildables (RDA). I've found that duals help the flavor of some of the eliquids I'm using but I've run into a problem. Total ohms of the duals is 1.6. In order to get the coils to fire up (glow red-within a reasonable time-like under 2 seconds) I need to set my wattage at no less than 10.4 watts (now I understand why people recommend Provari, etc. over the evic). The explaination will probably be over my head, but what, if anything, can I do to create a dual coil that will operate at lower wattage? If anyone could refer me to something that explains the science (amps and volts) needed for parallel resistors, that'd be great.

If your coils work better at higher wattage, why not just set it higher? Maybe I missed something in your question.

papabogart

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Satis, Faction
Thanks Thrasher--I'm slowly learning.

If your coils work better at higher wattage, why not just set it higher? Maybe I missed something in your question.

Well... that's what I'm working on here. I'm learning that on a regulated mod (mechanicals have their own issues) you hit a wall due to regulated voltage, wattage, or amperage. Plus as Thrasher and Batitude explained, with a dual coil, everything gets split in half. For example if I like to vape a single coil at 8 watts, in order to vape a dual coil at 8 watss, my APV needs to put out 16w--my eVic only puts out 11w. Even if my APV would do 16w, I might hit a wall with limited amperage (Evic is limited to 2.5 amps that's 1.25 amps per coil on a dual. Check out the ohms calculator and you'll see what I mean. http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms_law_calculator.php)

NM Dr., You didn't miss anything. I didn't know enough to phrase an intelligent question. Still, on an eVic max Wattage is 11 and amps is 2.5-- so no way.

Last edited:

papabogart

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Satis, Faction
The Dr. brings another question to mind. Many regulated MODS are rated at 6v, 15w and 4 or 5 amps (like the Vamo, Zmax and SID etc.) so they all should be able to fire a 1.5 ohm atty at 6v. However when PBusardo (or others) scopes them in a review, the results show the MODS outputting less than 5v on a 1.5 ohm coil resistance, but 6v on a 3 ohm. ( EDIT -forgot the most important part of my question: and stacked batteries will output the full 6v) Anyone know the reason this occurs--PBusardo has postulated it's the MODS amp limiter , but that doesn't make sense for MODS rated at 4 and 5 amps. It makes more sense if it is the limit of 15w, but then how do stacked batteries get around that?

Last edited:

DrillRX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2013
California, USA
I believe it's the fact that you have twin 3.7 rated batteries instead of one. It's ability to hold the rated output is greater.

Just like a diesel pickup. They all use twin batteries in series. Not any bigger or more voltage than a regular battery, but because of the amp demand to turn the larger torque motor it requires the extra "staying" power of dual 12 volt batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Stacking batteries (like in a mech) without protection is risky.

The voltage is doubled when stacked. More "oomph". But also more likely to get imbalanced and vent OR if a short happens, vent. Due to doubled voltage pushing harder.

Anyway, look for a DNA20 mod. 20 watts max. That's 10 per coil. And it's regulated. And protected. IDK bout the lower ohm limit.

Or go single-battery mech with good batteries.

BTW...the reason you're getting more flavor is lower power on the coils. It's a catch-22...lower power = more flavor but too low and it doesn't vape well. Too high...vapes like a train but kills all the flavor.

You should be able to balance it out (Ohms and capabilities). The 11 watt limit is a bit low though. :(

Everything is split using DC's except voltage. So watts, amps are split. Ohms are twice what you think per coil (the ohms split the other way...they net out to be 1/2 the coil's ohms assuming the coils are balanced....eg two 3.0 ohm coils net to a 1.5 ohm DC)

Many batteries have a voltage sag as amp drain increases. That's why we like good quality (and safer) high-drain batteries.

here_miah

Nov 15, 2013
Vancouver
when you make a dual coil setup, EVERYTHING is split both ways- Amps, Volts, Watts- between the coils, that is why they MUST be as close to even as possible. I would try going with an iTaste VV V3 and a single coil at abour 1 - 1.2 ohm if you really want the quick heat and reliable low-resistance. The V3 can go down as low as .8 ohm and, for what you pay for one of these- they are quite nicely feature packed, plus they will vape 11 watts for HOURS

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Yeah, except volts don't split.

Does voltage split in a parallel circuit? - Yahoo Answers

Another thing to note:

When stacking batteries (And I don't recommend you do) the amp limits of the batteries don't stack. So voltage is doubled, but the amp limit is the amp limit of ONE SINGLE battery for the whole stack.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Yeah, except volts don't split.

Does voltage split in a parallel circuit? - Yahoo Answers

Another thing to note:

When stacking batteries (And I don't recommend you do) the amp limits of the batteries don't stack. So voltage is doubled, but the amp limit is the amp limit of ONE SINGLE battery for the whole stack.

Being nit picky here, I know, but it's the amp limit of the WEAKEST battery in the chain!

As for the diesel trucks, they put those batteries in parallel, not series! The voltage is still 12v, but it doubles up the amperage to provide more cranking power to start the high compression engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread