Not open for further replies.

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
Wait, what? No critters allowed in the regular shiny thread? I have to follow two threads now to find out what’s up with Ricky’s exploding bunny population? What was wrong with critters over there?
I know!

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
I’ve always done that, research, decide which qualities I would like, or would like to avoid. A couple times I actually ended up with the breed I’d decided on, other times I’d be swept off my feet by the first pair of big brown puppy eyes.

Good luck with your decision, Charlie.
I, unfortunately, did not do that. After empty nesting for a couple of years I wanted a dog. It had been 10 years since I had to put my Pomeranian to sleep (old age). I wanted a big fluffy dog.
I got my guy from the local shelter before I was volunteering there and did not really know the folks. He was at a high kill shelter (space killing) and needed someone. I went to meet him and he was calm and nice and sat with me. I loved his look. (Yes, just like with both husbands I went for "the look" cooper shelter1.jpg
I went back the next day and got him. I named him Cooper. Took him straight for a groom. The next day he started throwing up. day after that ......... Took him to the vet. Yes Cooper had Parvo.
My vet felt he could save him if I had him hospitalized. I did that. I paid his $1,500 bill and took him home. He started coughing. Back to the vet, hospitalized again for kennel cough. I paid the bill and home we went. He was feeling better. Much better. Chased the cats. Jumped the fence. Went under the fence. I was 24/7 dealing with Cooper. The reason he was calm when I met him was because he was sick. I had to accept that Cooper was not the dog for me. The cats were begging me to accept that. I turned to a friend that had a Rescue. She would take him into her rescue if I would foster him.
my guy Cooper adoptions.jpg
Cooper came home with me 2 times after adoption day and had to be in a kennel. I bought a huge one so he would be comfortable. He got adopted on the 3rd adoption day by a soldier that came home from Afganistan and wanted a high energy dog to take hiking. He sent me this picture of he and Cooper and I was thrilled to know Cooper was still wearing his leather collar with silver buffalo nickels I had made him.
Cooper rehomed.jpg
I then went in search of my next dog and found Daphne. The couch potato and cat fosterer.
clem and daphne.jpg
It is important to choose the right dog for yourself. Cooper was my very expensive lesson in that.

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
Rescue is great but here pound and rescue shelters are very different things. Pound dogs don't have nearly as good odds getting a new home.:(
Luckily for us that have worked hard at NO KILL, all our local rescue's pull from our pounds. They then do all the vetting and care until someone adopts the pound dog from them. I think it is like that in most places. The Rescues pull from the pound. Just depends on whether or not you want to do the vetting or get one where that has been done.

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
Here’s Zelda. Those who frequent the shiny thread have read many tales and adventures of Zelda (pun to the video game). She was a rescue, and picked up not long after Robin Williams passed away – so in homage to the great man, I decided to name Zelda after his daughter - who to my understanding was named after the video game character "Princess Zelda" .

Don’t let the vogue pose and princess reference fool you. Zelda is an evil genius with plans of world domination. The process is a bit slow given her lack of opposable thumbs.

View attachment 857727
exquisite pic of the queen

beckah54

Dog Lover!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
Ohio

beckah54

Dog Lover!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
Ohio
He is a handsome boxer, goofy as hell.

Personally, I tend to like the goofy dogs that march to a different beat. Life is never dull with them.

My little minpin came from a dog shelter. I got up at 4 a.m. to be the first in line to adopt him after I saw his picture on Facebook. I lost my last dog in May but after 6 months, I was ready to adopt again. My heart has been broken when each of the 4 other dogs that came before died but the love they give us is worth the price we pay when they are leave us. They may be gone but never forgotten.

I usually like animals a lot better than most people I meet.:)

This is a picture my daughter had painted for me for Christmas last year of my pets that has passed. Means a lot to me.
B54C95A4-A16A-4CB9-AD5F-A6753E17FE28.jpeg

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I, unfortunately, did not do that. After empty nesting for a couple of years I wanted a dog. It had been 10 years since I had to put my Pomeranian to sleep (old age). I wanted a big fluffy dog.
I got my guy from the local shelter before I was volunteering there and did not really know the folks. He was at a high kill shelter (space killing) and needed someone. I went to meet him and he was calm and nice and sat with me. I loved his look. (Yes, just like with both husbands I went for "the look" View attachment 857737
I went back the next day and got him. I named him Cooper. Took him straight for a groom. The next day he started throwing up. day after that ......... Took him to the vet. Yes Cooper had Parvo.
My vet felt he could save him if I had him hospitalized. I did that. I paid his $1,500 bill and took him home. He started coughing. Back to the vet, hospitalized again for kennel cough. I paid the bill and home we went. He was feeling better. Much better. Chased the cats. Jumped the fence. Went under the fence. I was 24/7 dealing with Cooper. The reason he was calm when I met him was because he was sick. I had to accept that Cooper was not the dog for me. The cats were begging me to accept that. I turned to a friend that had a Rescue. She would take him into her rescue if I would foster him.
View attachment 857739
Cooper came home with me 2 times after adoption day and had to be in a kennel. I bought a huge one so he would be comfortable. He got adopted on the 3rd adoption day by a soldier that came home from Afganistan and wanted a high energy dog to take hiking. He sent me this picture of he and Cooper and I was thrilled to know Cooper was still wearing his leather collar with silver buffalo nickels I had made him.
View attachment 857741
I then went in search of my next dog and found Daphne. The couch potato and cat fosterer.
View attachment 857743
It is important to choose the right dog for yourself. Cooper was my very expensive lesson in that.

That's a touching story - wonderful that Cooper found a great home and wouldn't have if not for your actions, and further wonderful that you then found the right dog for you :wub:

Lol
I always like critters better than humans.
Yeah. Me too. Got no business working in hospitality, do I? :w00t:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@chanelvaps – agree with Sloth, very touching story. Cooper looks to be happy and healthy. And Daphne is just adorable!!

My last cat Skeeter, was also a from a shelter. Was told he was a feral rescue. Unknown to me and the shelter he contracted FIV prior to his rescue. Found out after through my personal vet. The shelter did offer to take him back, but he would have been euthanized. Was not gonna let that happen! Unfortunately Skeeter did not live long and succumb to his illness after about a year. For much of that year he was healthy, playful and so loving.

I am of belief Skeeter knew his time was limited, and a day did not go by where he did not show his appreciation. Miss him dearly.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
I'm really loving this new thread, great picture of Zelda.
Zelda displaying her frustration with evolution trying to get into a Tupperware full of tasty morsels of dehydrated mostly chicken treats. Damn you lack of opposable thumbs…damn you!!!

View attachment 857811

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Here’s Zelda. Those who frequent the shiny thread have read many tales and adventures of Zelda (pun to the video game). She was a rescue, and picked up not long after Robin Williams passed away – so in homage to the great man, I decided to name Zelda after his daughter - who to my understanding was named after the video game character "Princess Zelda" .

Don’t let the vogue pose and princess reference fool you. Zelda is an evil genius with plans of world domination. The process is a bit slow given her lack of opposable thumbs.

View attachment 857727

What a stunning picture !

I love her !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread