Shortness of Breath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckbrats

Dec 18, 2016
Some what new to vaping. Picked it up 2 years ago to stop the smoking habit. Went 37 days with out a cigarette and then had a set back. I have been trying to get back on the vaping for about the last two weeks. I am struggling to find the correct nicotine level and pg/vg ratio. I suffer from anxiety, but have been somewhat controlled with meds. I seem to really be having a lot of shortness of breath after a short vape session, that I never experienced when I got started 2 years ago. Any ideas or help that anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I had shortness of breath when I vaped for a period of time after/during quitting smoking.
As strange as it sounds, Vaping is a sure-fire tolerance type of thing.
I got used to Vaping by about 3 months 'in' and was happy not have have messed around too much with the standard recommendations of more VG/lower nic, because that wasn't my problem. My problem was getting used to the vapor itself, despite being a smoker.
It also took me a year to get to 9 watts. Now I can vape anything give or take. I have vaped at 100w. No shortness of breathing either. Win, win. :)
I hope that makes sense.

Beckbrats

Dec 18, 2016
I had shortness of breath when I vaped for a period of time after/during quitting smoking.
As strange as it sounds, Vaping is a sure-fire tolerance type of thing.
I got used to Vaping by about 3 months 'in' and was happy not have have messed around too much with the standard recommendations of more VG/lower nic, because that wasn't my problem. My problem was getting used to the vapor itself, despite being a smoker.
It also took me a year to get to 9 watts. Now I can vape anything give or take. I have vaped at 100w. No shortness of breathing either. Win, win. :)
I hope that makes sense.

It does make sense. Would you suggest just sticking with the 30pg/70vg ratio then? I just can't figure out why 2 years ago I vaped a 12mg nicotine on a 60/40 blend and seemed fine but, now on a lower nic level I'm shallow breathing and even wheezing at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: djsvapour

Beckbrats

Dec 18, 2016
A lot of it could just be the affects from quitting the analogs. There are numerous different side affects and shortness of breath can be one of them. Can take quite a while for your body and lungs to get used to vaping.

Thank you! I was hoping someone would say, "this is normal." I guess I was just fortunate to not have experienced it the first time around, 2 years ago. Could I be vaping too often and that is causing some irritation to the lungs? I feel like I am constantly reaching for my device.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I've been pretty fortunate in not having any big problems with my vape or juice since I started. There are a couple of things I might point to from your posts. First, if you're reaching for your vape all the time it's probably 1, the simple transition from smoking to vaping and/or 2, maybe you need a higher concentration of nic. Not sure how much you smoked, but coming from a pack and a half a day I used 24 mg for a long time (granted low watt mtl type vaping). After ?7-8 months I found 12 mg was good. Now I'm pretty much on 6 mg, but also have moved on to subohm, higher power type vaping.

Some folks do have a problem with too much PG (irritation, too much throat hit in combo with the nic) or too much VG (folks describe it as a "heaviness" on their lungs, not sure if they mean shortness of breath too but you get the idea). I agree not chasing things too much is your best course. Make several changes at once, and you don't know which change made it better or worse. But if you are having nic withdrawal type feelings with chain vaping, consider upping your nic a bit. When you have that down, you can compare a high VG and a high PG juice and see which feels most comfortable for you to vape.

Beckbrats

Dec 18, 2016
I've been pretty fortunate in not having any big problems with my vape or juice since I started. There are a couple of things I might point to from your posts. First, if you're reaching for your vape all the time it's probably 1, the simple transition from smoking to vaping and/or 2, maybe you need a higher concentration of nic. Not sure how much you smoked, but coming from a pack and a half a day I used 24 mg for a long time (granted low watt mtl type vaping). After ?7-8 months I found 12 mg was good. Now I'm pretty much on 6 mg, but also have moved on to subohm, higher power type vaping.

Some folks do have a problem with too much PG (irritation, too much throat hit in combo with the nic) or too much VG (folks describe it as a "heaviness" on their lungs, not sure if they mean shortness of breath too but you get the idea). I agree not chasing things too much is your best course. Make several changes at once, and you don't know which change made it better or worse. But if you are having nic withdrawal type feelings with chain vaping, consider upping your nic a bit. When you have that down, you can compare a high VG and a high PG juice and see which feels most comfortable for you to vape.

Thank you! I believe you are correct. I smoked a pack of lights/day. Probably is a low nic issue causing the chain vaping. I will get some 12, as I have used it back in the summer, off and on. I tried the 18 and knew it was too strong. The VG ratio sounds like that could be my problem. Heaviness in the chest is my chief complaint, but not sure if some of that might also be the anxiety, as well. I just don't want to continue to be discouraged. I have ordered the iTazte VV device that I started on 2 years ago and am going to try and start the process over from the beginning. I've been using a higher watt device that I thought could also be the issue. I will go back to the voltage device and see if I can't find the "sweet spot" again and go from there. I'm even going to go back to the original juice I started on which is from a vape shop 65 miles from where I live. They have a 60pg/40vg juice that I started on. I have been vaping the Boosted line of juices that have 40pg/60vg blend. I love the line just wondering if that ratio is an issue. Anyway, I will see if I notice a difference with the same device and juice I originally started on and go from there.

Thank you all for responding!

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
.... I just don't want to continue to be discouraged. I have ordered the iTazte VV device that I started on 2 years ago and am going to try and start the process over from the beginning. I've been using a higher watt device that I thought could also be the issue. I will go back to the voltage device and see if I can't find the "sweet spot" again and go from there. I'm even going to go back to the original juice I started on which is from a vape shop 65 miles from where I live.

Wow. Good logical thinking, but is it too late to cancel the iTaste VV though? That's just the battery.... you can do whatever power you used to vape at on a modern VV/VW mod.
Seems a strange choice..those batteries are not cheap and you should/could invest the money in a different choice of liquids or tanks.
Up to you, of course, but the battery is not the problem unless the new one doesn't allow variable power (watts).
:)

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Hi @Beckbrats

I suffered an injury and have had terrible anxiety ever since.
I suffered terrible shortness of breath to the point that I would fall asleep because it was making me so tired.

Being so anxious I overanalysed the whole thing but it turned out to be....

I am not/wasn't working (because of the injury) and I just stayed in the house all of the time. I wouldn't have it when people told me to excersize (stupid I know).
But when I made myself get on the treadmill the shortness of breath went away.

I am in no way saying that this is your case and you may have ratio allergies but just saying what helped me.
:thumb:

Reactions: Beckbrats

medleypat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2016
Frankfort Indiana
I think your headed in the right direction get everything set and don't change anything for about a week then the next week try the different ratio if it works go back to the other ratio and see if it returns or is just getting use to vaping then you know for sure. Remember to be sure have to have repeatable results.

Reactions: Beckbrats

Beckbrats

Dec 18, 2016
Wow. Good logical thinking, but is it too late to cancel the iTaste VV though? That's just the battery.... you can do whatever power you used to vape at on a modern VV/VW mod.
Seems a strange choice..those batteries are not cheap and you should/could invest the money in a different choice of liquids or tanks.
Up to you, of course, but the battery is not the problem unless the new one doesn't allow variable power (watts).
:)

The new one is variable wattage only, starting at 8 watts & seems just a bit too strong. I'm sure I will eventually work my way back to it.

Beckbrats

Dec 18, 2016
Hi @Beckbrats

I suffered an injury and have had terrible anxiety ever since.
I suffered terrible shortness of breath to the point that I would fall asleep because it was making me so tired.

Being so anxious I overanalysed the whole thing but it turned out to be....

I am not/wasn't working (because of the injury) and I just stayed in the house all of the time. I wouldn't have it when people told me to excersize (stupid I know).
But when I made myself get on the treadmill the shortness of breath went away.

I am in no way saying that this is your case and you may have ratio allergies but just saying what helped me.
:thumb:

I exercise daily. I'm a very OCD driven individual and make sure I walk at least 12k steps a day 5 days a week...(5 miles) Most people it's 10k steps, but when you're only 5 ft. Nothin'...you have a shorter stride. [emoji12] Thanks for any and all ideas though! I appreciate anyone who takes the time to comment what has helped them!!

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
I exercise daily. I'm a very OCD driven individual and make sure I walk at least 12k steps a day 5 days a week...(5 miles) Most people it's 10k steps, but when you're only 5 ft. Nothin'...you have a shorter stride. [emoji12] Thanks for any and all ideas though! I appreciate anyone who takes the time to comment what has helped them!!

Oh....
Fair enough. Your a lot fitter than me then...
But at least I'm taller :p

Good luck

Beckbrats

Dec 18, 2016
Oh....
Fair enough. Your a lot fitter than me then...
But at least I'm taller :p

Good luck

Haha. Nowhere near fit. About 30#'s overweight. And yes...you and just about everyone else in the world is taller than me. Hope your anxiety is getting resolved! I have suffered with it for about 3 years and some days are good and some are not! Hang in there!

Reactions: Eskie

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Haha. Nowhere near fit. About 30#'s overweight. And yes...you and just about everyone else in the world is taller than me. Hope your anxiety is getting resolved! I have suffered with it for about 3 years and some days are good and some are not! Hang in there!

Ha. Not everyone. I was chatting to my uncle the other day
(Yes I said uncle not aunt), dudes barely 5. I'm dubious about it but I don't ask.

Yeah il be coming up 3 years of it soon. I hope it just goes like magic.
For us both

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread