should i stick with protank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

novio

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
new jersey
Iv been using a kanger protank with an ego-c twist, soon ill be getting a vamo as my main and will have the ego as my backup. iv only ever used the cartos that come with the ego-t and the protank, but iv seen many people using vivi novas, and other clearos and would rather not pay the money (even if only a few dollars) to try them out. so im just looking for opinions to try and decide to either buy another protank or get a vivi nova 2.5 or something alike. i understand a lot of the info on vaping is subjective and mostly based on user preference.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
IMO a ViVi Nova would be a HUGE step down from a Protank in terms of flavor, (especially with high vg juices) vapor production and worries about certain juices (mostly citrus and cinammon) either cracking your tank or causing it leech chemicals into your juice.

Do yourself a favor and get another Protank. The coil on the bottom (versus a top coil on a Nova) is a superior design and eliminates wicking issues and flavor loss like those reported in the Nova from many users. Pyrex is also inert meaning it wont impart a plastic flavor.Its like the difference btween drinking from a real glass or a dixie cup.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Hi Novio, I have a pro-tank which I like, also used mainly on a vamo - it looks good on there and gives a nice airy flavorful draw. I also love my vivi nova and my EVOD is pretty good too. It all depends what you are looking for. (I also like CE5's that a lot of people on these forums seem to not prefer)

If you like the cool airy draw on the pro-tank, you'll like the EVOD, it has a similar draw and the added bonus that any replacement heads that you buy for it, will also fit the pro-tank too. I've had no leaking issues, and it's easy to fill.
The vivi nova is a top coil device and personally I like the hotter vape it gives me for some juices (extreme ice is permanently in my metal mini nova and it packs a punch)

Like you said, it's subjective, but If I were you, I would try a different delivery system. People can describe how things taste and vape, but until you try them, you'll just not be able to make a decision which you prefer. You should be able to get a vivi nova and another bottom coil device like an EVOD or a T3 for about the same price as a pro-tank.

Finally, if you are going to buy a vivi nova, make sure you are buying the genuine version (my vapor store is where I get mine but there are other slightly cheaper place that I cannot vouch for as I've never used them) Some people have had leaking issues with the copies.

The other option would be to just spend the money you would have spent on all these new delivery devices and just buy 5 or 6 new heads for the pro-tank - they are usually 2 or 3 bucks each.

Aubie80

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
The protank is a bottom coil tank which provides a cool temperature vape. The vivi nova is a top coil tank and will provide a warmer temperature vape. Also imo I get a muted flavor from the vivi novas but a great draw. The protanks I get great flavor but airy draw, which I fix by covering the airholes until I get the desired draw.

If you want to try a vivi go ahead may suit you better, but if on a budget I would suggest stick with what you know.

Also both have replaceable heads that can be rebuilt with new coil and wick.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
IMO a ViVi Nova would be a HUGE step down from a Protank in terms of flavor, (especially with high vg juices) vapor production and worries about certain juices (mostly citrus and cinammon) either cracking your tank or causing it leech chemicals into your juice.

Sorry Zapped but I respectfully disagree. I have a vivi nova mini metal and it gives me more flavor than my pro-tank. Tighter draw, no leaking, no wicking issues, plenty of vapor and no worries about tank cracking juices.

novio

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
new jersey
sounds great, i much prefer the airy draw and all other features protank gives comparatively looking at the other tanks characteristics. so i think ill end up buying another protank to put on vamo. although i was reading in some threads about the vamo connector post getting dislodged and breaking connection with the protank, but looks as if an ego to 510 (or vise versa) adapter would fix that problem, if anyone knows of the problem im willing to hear any experiences with using an adapter as a solution. thanks for all the info everyone.

PONKAW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2011
Panama city
I rebuilt 15 Evod / Protank heads today in about an hour... (last me about 2-3 weeks). I love these things... simple cheap effective. Novas are good too, but mine have become bench warmers since I tried the BCCs. Get a couple of Evods (they fit on the Vamo without an adapter)
and some kanthal and silica wick (1.5mm) and be done with it. :toast:

Discord

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Portland, OR, USA
sounds great, i much prefer the airy draw and all other features protank gives comparatively looking at the other tanks characteristics. so i think ill end up buying another protank to put on vamo. although i was reading in some threads about the vamo connector post getting dislodged and breaking connection with the protank, but looks as if an ego to 510 (or vise versa) adapter would fix that problem, if anyone knows of the problem im willing to hear any experiences with using an adapter as a solution. thanks for all the info everyone.

If you do a google search for: Ego Thread Covers - Collar
I ordered mine from here: Ego Thread Covers
it works great both for protecting that center pin from over-tightening as well as tightening up the airflow on a ProTank a bit. You want to make sure you can see a picture of what you order and get one with that "T" shape to the top, not one of the tapered/curved ones. most of the tapered ones won't fit.

novio

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
new jersey
I rebuilt 15 Evod / Protank heads today in about an hour... (last me about 2-3 weeks). I love these things... simple cheap effective. Novas are good too, but mine have become bench warmers since I tried the BCCs. Get a couple of Evods (they fit on the Vamo without an adapter)
and some kanthal and silica wick (1.5mm) and be done with it. :toast:

im not familiar with "bbcs", i was thinking about converting a protank head with mesh and kanthal which seems like an easy enough task. but im not sure i want to dive into rebuilding past buying a new set of replacement heads just yet.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Sorry Zapped but I respectfully disagree. I have a vivi nova mini metal and it gives me more flavor than my pro-tank. Tighter draw, no leaking, no wicking issues, plenty of vapor and no worries about tank cracking juices.

Im assuming you vape liquids that are high in pg or have rebuilt the stock heads on the ViVi Nova? Most of the issues Ive seen reported with the Nova and flavor loss involve stock heads and higher VG juices which dont wick as well as thinner juices.

Last edited:

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas

BR_compare.jpg
The ring on the right is the beauty ring that comes with the pro-tank. One on the left is one I bought at my vapor store

BR_vamo.jpg
This shows the ring screwed loosely into the vamo threads

protank_with_beauty.jpg
Tighten the pro-tank down onto the ring and not the vamo threads.

Leithan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Fort Irwin
LOL sorry if your looking for a straight yes or no answer, your not going to get it:D I'm extremely biased towards the Protank but having said that; I would stick with what you know, tweak it, play with it, get familiar with it and how it performs on your Mods. If in the end your still not satisfied get something else. Searching for the best vape can be an endless and expensive endeavor. The money I spent on Attys, tanks, cartos, rbas, could of been spent on more juice, batterys or a back up mod. In the end I came right back to the Protank, with a little modding it produced exactly the vape I was looking for. So in answer to your question 'Should I stick with a protank or get something else" my answer is yes........Your only going to get folks personal opinions. Sorry if that doesn’t help you much, but there is no clear cut answer. You are probably the best judge of whether or not it's time for a change.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
last post reminded me, i use 70 vg 30 h20 and i like it most so far. not sure how much that effects tank choice.

Youre definitely better off with the Protank. I vape 10/90 pg/vg from Alien Visions called Hype (tastes like peach schnapps or peach rings candy). I bought a ViVi Nova because of the fanfare surrounding it and compared to my carto tanks it didnt even taste like the same juice at the exact same voltage and resistance. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the highest, the ViVi Nova was a 2 at best compared to an 8 on the carto tank in terms of flavor.

Protank runs a very close second to my Phiniac tank and is 30 dollars cheaper.

Last edited:

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Im assuming you vape liquids that are high in pg or have rebuilt the stock heads on the ViVi Nova? Most of the issues Ive seen reported with the Nova and flavor loss involve stock heads and higher VG juices which dont wick as well as thinner juices.

Yeah I can see a thicker juice might have issues with wicking. I usually use 65/35 but right now (checks bottle) I'm using 50 / 50 with no issues. Stock heads.
It's all good sir, just wanted to give a shout-out for my vivi nova, I personally love it and it works for the juices / vape I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread