Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
YES. But only if you already like magmas.

Turning it into a squonker does not remove the issues that make some people hate magmas. It’s still a double coil rda with only two posts. The post holes are still narrow, and they will still cut your wire if you’re not careful. It still whistles like a steam engine, and it still has a non adjustable air flow.
That said, turning the thing into a squonker does make it better, and if you like RDL and like the Magma airflow, making it a squonker does makes it better.

So I ordered one of those squonking retrofit kits from fat daddy vapes, and tried it on a few old RDAs I like. My derringer is missing a screw, and I can’t remove the positive pin screw on it until I find a way to hold the center post solid without crushing it, so that one is on hold.

The magma I managed to get going though.

It took a single part from the kit. Namely the long brass hollow screw. The rod that fits inside the screw was also a bit handy, but I didn’t use it up.

The only complication is there is a white Delrin block that is used as a brace to keep the negative and positive posts from shorting together.

Simply remove the positive pin screw at which point the atty falls into three pieces. Put the long brass hollow screw in in place of the origional, but not all the way. Just until it barely catches on the positive pin. Then insert the brace and screw it in a bit more to keep the brace more or less where it needs to be.

Turn the atty upside down and use the narrow rod to push the delrin block up against the stops.

Then with the thing still upside down, finish screwing in the squonk pin. This holds the delrin block up a few mil from the squonk pin opening.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
YES. But only if you already like magmas.

Now that's a name from the distant past, the Paradigm Magma rda's. 2014/2015? I have one that was BF'd when brand new by CAM. I wasn't much of a fan of it though so it's been out of sight/out of mind somewhere for a very long time (if it's even still around here someplace). Probably for at least 4+ years.

I liked the two Manta V1/V2 Hybrids a little better(but also retired them forever ago). In the end they were not worth their $225 cost to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Now that's a name from the distant past, the Paradigm Magma RDA's. 2014/2015? I have one that was BF'd when brand new by CAM. I wasn't much of a fan of it though so it's been out of sight/out of mind somewhere for a very long time (if it's even still around here someplace). Probably for at least 4+ years.

I liked the two Manta V1/V2 Hybrids a little better(but also retired them forever ago). In the end they were not worth their $225 cost to me.
It’s got a great chamber format and a whole lot of metal to act as a heat sink. Warm dense “subohmish” vape without the giant cloud size or complicated bmonster coils. Got to like the draw and be able to deal with the noise and the primitive posts though. Also it gets hot. “Magma” was an appropriate name.

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
personally I think everything should be squonkable :p
I’m kind of agreeing with that. I’ve got some old old Attys though. After I do the derringer I got a couple of old velocities I’d like to do as well. That just leaves my dark horse for old RDAs, which is kind of pointless since I have velocities.

Reactions: Shadav

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Ladies are squeezable... you need a hug?
;)
upload_2019-3-23_15-54-30.jpg

teedee29

Mar 8, 2019
Gosport, UK
I’m kind of agreeing with that. I’ve got some old old Attys though. After I do the derringer I got a couple of old velocities I’d like to do as well. That just leaves my dark horse for old RDAs, which is kind of pointless since I have velocities.

Did you get round to converting the derringer? I have an authentic I’d love to convert, I’ve seen a YouTube video from modmaker on the process but I don’t have all the tools. It just seems silly for me to be buying clones, all I can afford at the moment, when I’ve got this sitting in a drawer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread