REVIEW: The MGTK 24 mm RDA by Cool Vapor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Up front disclaimer: Liumin Zhang sent me these to review at no charge. That's not gonna change my opinions.
20200816_173957 (Medium).jpg

In the box, you'll find the RDA with the standard positive pin and an 810 drip tip (and all my other tips seems to fit just fine) preinstalled, a couple spare grub screws, a couple fused clapton coils, spare o-rings, a squonk pin, and a couple allen keys (one for the squonk pin, and one for the deck). All in all, a fairly complete setup. Fairly? No cotton was included... a tiny issue as I rarely use included cotton.

As with any new atomizer, it's best to wash it off first, then lube the o-rings with a little juice. Out of the box, this looked clean, but the o-rings were quite dry, and that made adjusting things dificult.

The MGTK is a raised deck postless RDA. The deck is kinda reminiscent of the old Pi^2, but elevated just a couple mm. It's split down the middle with a chunky positive connector poking up in the center. The screws enter from the sides allowing builds to be installed without twisting leads, and the postholes are large enough to accommodate most chunky coils, yet tight enough to handle smaller, round wire coils (24 AWG, sure... 30 AWG, probably not... but this is not meant for that kind of vaping, so...). Along the rim of the base, there are two little pins to assist in aligning the barrel. The well under the deck is shallow... maybe 2 mm... The deck is stainless steel, and what appears to be PEEK

The cap and barrel is held on by one seriously chunky o-ring at the base, and alignment is assisted by the aforementioned pins poking up from the base. The cap does have a slightly domed top. Airflow comes in through two largish (sorry... can't find my calipers, and the batteries are likely dead anyways) slots in the side, and can be cut down or opened up by turning the cap, which is held on by another single o-ring. I'm currently running with the airflow cut in half, and there's still plenty of air for an ever so slightly restricted DL pull. The cap and barrel is aluminum allow.
20200816_174110 (Medium).jpg

I'm not a huge fan of the looks as there is an enormous Cool Vapor logo in white on either size of the barrel. The barrel and top cap are also done up in a swirly red (also available in blue) and black kind of design... not paint splatter... smoother, and not as in your face, but still, I prefer cleaner designs and engraved logos.

Building was quite simple. I used the provided coils (which had mostly complete, accurate specs provided... NI90 26x2/38 0.22 ohms, each... the specs did not mention the ID... 3 mm for those wanting to know... the pair did come out to 0.11 ohms). I trimmed the leads to just a hair over 5 mm, and dropped them in. I made sure the leads were not touching the deck, then I tightened everything, and straightened the coils. I pulsed/strummed/pinched 'em a couple times to ensure that there were no hot spots, and wicked with organic cotton. Simple!

Before the build, I did swap the standard pin for the squonk pin. The squonk pin runs all the way through the deck and comes out just beneath the coils. I'm running it on a Wismec Luxotic MF with the 100 watt board installed.

But, Shawn, how's it vape?

Vapes good. I mean, there's nothing to rave about, but nothing to complain about either. However, at about $18 from China, it's probably worth it. Would I buy it again? No, but only because I have way too much already on hand... IF I had nothing or was just starting out, yeah, I'd buy it... if I could get past the huge logo on the sides of the barrel.

Let's break it down into some pros and cons...

Cons:
Huge logo on both sides
Swirly paint job (subjective)
Shallow well
Squonk pin comes out under the coils*

Pros:
Easy to build
Lots of air
Protruding 510 pin
Fairly complete kit
Squonk pin comes out under the coils*

*this is both a blessing and a curse... on the one hand, the coils are instantly soaked, and that's good. There's little chance of flooding the deck or leaking (when kept upright), and that's good. On the other hand, it's possible to squonk right up out of the RDA, and it takes a bit to get the well filled, meaning more frequent squonks. Really, the pros and cons here kinda cancel each other out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread