dolphins35

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2012
Spanaway, Wa
Pwyll
IMHO I think,

Should I make a new and separate contest thread each month...or...should I re-purpose this thread for discussion and make a "pictures only" thread where the contest start and end is marked by specific posts?

Separate thread for the contests and leave this for our chatting :)

Would it be better to have specific prizes (a bottle of juice, a sampler pack, &c.) or a "generic prize" like a gift certificate?

Specific.

If it were a generic prize, would you rather get a gift certificate for $XX or, say, a 25% off coupon?

Gift Cert.

Would it be better to just be generic, as this one was, or to have a different "theme" each month?

Different Theme every month :)

Would you still participate knowing that Pop has been barred from randomly adding prizes to the pool?

Yes, but Pop shouldn't be banned from adding :D

I have fun seeing and meeting everyone!!

Last edited:

trevor148

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2011
Thomasville, GA

trevor................you just won a Vmax!!!!

I will send Mom "Scubac00da" a pm to let her know to contact you for your shipping info.

Thanks Lauralie your awesome, and thanks to pwyll and mom and pop vapor shop for the most fun contest I've ever entered. When I first read that I yelled out and my stepdad leaned over and asked what I won :)

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
Frank's ford, in the Caintuck
P0P should be able to randomly add prizes as he sees fit. That is just P0P being P0P.

Yes, well, that was one of the conditions Scuba gave. I have no problem saying he can't add prizes to the contest because that will save his shoulder a bit of trauma from the extra arm-blocks and I know he'll just end up throwing extra stuff at people whose pictures he particularly likes anyway.

That, too, is P0P being P0P :laugh:

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011

Would you still participate knowing that Pop has been barred from randomly adding prizes to the pool?

Yes, but Pop shouldn't be banned from adding :D

I have fun seeing and meeting everyone!!

It is my understanding that Pop is not exactly banned from adding prizes, just that Scuba will have to approve any additional prizes. It has been made quite clear by both of them that Pop does not care to mind the business aspects of the company--in fact he has mentioned that they've had entire product lines not make it on the website because he ended up giving all the stock away before it was officially added to the inventory :)

When you order from Mom and Pop's, you never know what you're going to get--late last year Pop went on some kind of tear and a whole bunch of people got crazy socks added in. In fact, both my wife and daughter's favourite socks came as surprises in packages from Mom and Pop. When the regulars around here say "you never know what extras you're going to get" they really mean it. I've got packages that had exactly what I ordered and nothing else, and I've gotten packages that had an extra tank or Ego...or eight pairs of crazy socks...

:laugh:

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
@ "pwyll" - I am a little apprehensive to say anything or make any suggestions given what may or may not occure once I am done . . . But I do honestly agree with what a lot of people have already said . . . AND Personally, I appreciate the fact that you are reaching out to other for suggestions . . . :thumbs: More importantly, I truely feel "You" have a handle on how to run these things . . . That is just one of the things I really "like" about "You" Sir - You are direct , honest, striaght forward, and without a doubt fair . . . "Scuba" & "Pop' could not have gotten anyone better to help them out . . . :D
However, WHATEVER "YOU" and "Mom (aka "Scuba")-Pop" decide is fine with "Me" - as long as no one interferres with the process again . . . I am going to be quite frank and even more honest with you in the open thread, a number of people I sent to join in the "FUN" that you had set-up with this "Game" that turn into a "Contest that wasn't a Contest" were extreamly disappointed to say the least, especially with the controversary that was started by one person and they refused to enter or even participate given what transpired . . . AND - I could not blame them, nor change their minds at all - No matter how hard I tried . . . So the only thing I am going to suggest to "You" is that once you open and set-up the :rules: for the specific "Game"/"Contest" they reallly should be and stay YOUR :rules: . . . Just sayin' . . . I hope you understand why I mentioned what I did in the thread . . . Also - I hope "We" are GOOD ! ! ! :D

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
@ "pwyll" - I am a little apprehensive to say anything or make any suggestions given what may or may not occure once I am done . . . But I do honestly agree with what a lot of people have already said . . . AND Personally, I appreciate the fact that you are reaching out to other for suggestions . . . :thumbs: More importantly, I truely feel "You" have a handle on how to run these things . . . That is just one of the things I really "like" about "You" Sir - You are direct , honest, striaght forward, and without a doubt fair . . . "Scuba" & "Pop' could not have gotten anyone better to help them out . . . :D
However, WHATEVER "YOU" and "Mom (aka "Scuba")-Pop" decide is fine with "Me" - as long as no one interferres with the process again . . . I am going to be quite frank and even more honest with you in the open thread, a number of people I sent to join in the "FUN" that you had set-up with this "Game" that turn into a "Contest that wasn't a Contest" were extreamly disappointed to say the least, especially with the controversary that was started by one person and they refused to enter or even participate given what transpired . . . AND - I could not blame them, nor change their minds at all - No matter how hard I tried . . . So the only thing I am going to suggest to "You" is that once you open and set-up the :rules: for the specific "Game"/"Contest" they reallly should be and stay YOUR :rules: . . . Just sayin' . . . I hope you understand why I mentioned what I did in the thread . . . Also - I hope "We" are GOOD ! ! ! :D

Yes, well, this will specifically be set up as a 'contest' rather than an after-thought to help boost short-term participation, so the rules will be planned and set in the first post. And I will be solely responsible for them--the questions I asked were because:

a) I have no preference and wondered about the general consensus,
b) I do have a preference but it is not strong and I wondered about the general consensus,
c) A week-long discussion now will minimize* attempts to debate the rules after the contest is underway.

As for your mysterious friends; I'm sorry they were disappointed with my idea but not every thread is suitable to every person, and I'm sorry they chose not to participate based on the rules or my handling of the misunderstanding or whatever, but I've been in the same situation and chosen not to participate in both normal threads and contests for the same (or similar) reasons. I, personally, would have loved to see them here, but not at the expense of their own comfort (or ethics, or whatever was compromised by the thread or the way it's been handled).

* Note that I said "minimize" and not eliminate. I am not that naive ;)

Last edited:

akatina

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2013
Greenville, SC
First of all: I appreciate the contest! I'm one of Uncles friends that came in and photobombed you, and I didn't feel unwelcomed one bit :)

Second of all: Chat in the contest thread is almost unavoidable. What about requiring everyone to include a key phrase ("I'm in to win like Flynn") so the entry posts are easier to find by search? Or, have people make an ECF blog post with their entry and post the link? I dunno, it just seems like 2 threads makes it harder to manage on your end...

Third of all: Can I request that Pop start giving out crazy socks again as prizes? Cause I love me some crazy socks :D

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
First of all: I appreciate the contest! I'm one of Uncles friends that came in and photobombed you, and I didn't feel unwelcomed one bit :)

Glad to hear it :)

To be fair, though, sometimes other factors go into feeling uncomfortable with a contest than just whether or not they feel welcomed. Some people are only comfortable with random.org because "that's the only way to be fair." Some people are only comfortable with counting the number of "likes" a post gets because they feel the winners should be chosen by popular consensus. Personally, I've chosen not to enter contests before because I disagreed with one or some of the rules, or because I was uncomfortable with the company hosting it, or because I was uncomfortable with the way past contests had gone.

And to be compleatly honest, whether or not you are comfortable with how this particular contest was "judged" depends entirely on whether or not you trust me since there is no form of "confirmation" in place and it's compleatly open to my just deciding how I want to distribute the prizes and saying whatever I want about the outcome. I would have been uncomfortable with the "fairness" of it myself if I'd stumbled upon the contest in a thread with which I was unfamiliar, being run by people whom I do not know. That issue, too, will be dealt with in the monthly contests :)

Second of all: Chat in the contest thread is almost unavoidable. What about requiring everyone to include a key phrase ("I'm in to win like Flynn") so the entry posts are easier to find by search? Or, have people make an ECF blog post with their entry and post the link? I dunno, it just seems like 2 threads makes it harder to manage on your end...

Yes it is, but it can be kept to a minimum. And if it gets out of hand, posts can be moved. The key phrase idea could be viable, but it would still be problematic for people coming in later just to look at the "history" of pictures and who are not interested in the chat. It's a good idea, though, so I'll be thinking about that...

The blog post thing would just be way too difficult for me, here on the backend. Instead of having to manage a thread or two I would be having to track dozens (or more) blogs--and there are quite a few of us here who do not use the blog feature and who have no interest in starting one :)

Third of all: Can I request that Pop start giving out crazy socks again as prizes? Cause I love me some crazy socks :D

Yes.

But you'll have to request that from P0P (or Scuba) as I have no influence over that sort of thing :)

thehangdude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
thehangdude-albums-bottles-picture191931-haze.jpg

Good to the last drop!

The trick is getting that last drop out.​

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
@ "Pwyll" - I really hope you do not think that I am coming down on "you" or complaining about the way in which you ran this "Game"/"Contest that wasn't a Contest" . . . As I mentioned before, of all people I think you are not only direct, honest, and striaght forward - But, without a doubt FAIR. . .:thumbs:

IMO - this was a FUN and quite enjoyable "Game" and I am very glad I participated . . . The Winners that were choosen couldn't have been any better choices (Well the exception is I wasn't picked - Now that would have been the best choice . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:) "Your" daugther should not only be congratulated, but rewarded for a Job - WELL DONE . . . :thumbs:

Now with that being said . . . To respond to your last post and clearify a couple of things:

Yes, well, this will specifically be set up as a 'contest' rather than an after-thought to help boost short-term participation, so the rules will be planned and set in the first post. And I will be solely responsible for them--

GREAT - I have no problem with that at all - nor would I . . . I just wish others felt the same way and left "You" alone to run the "game" as you saw fit . . . ;)

the questions I asked were because:

a) I have no preference and wondered about the general consensus,
b) I do have a preference but it is not strong and I wondered about the general consensus,
c) A week-long discussion now will minimize* attempts to debate the rules after the contest is underway.

As you may remember - I "Like" consensus and couldn't agree with you more, nor should there be any "DEBATE" . . . Your "Game"/"Contest" Your :rules: - DONE . . . AND - That should be the end of the conversation - No one should have interferred or tried to influence you to change those :rules: after the "game" was started, as far as I am concerned . . .:thumbs:

Also, I find it very interesting that some people are more than willing to partipate in any contest and accept prizes in "like" contest when they win, however get upset if someone else might look like they may win because of the number of "like's" they recieved - Just sayin' . . .;)

As for your mysterious friends; I'm sorry they were disappointed with my idea but not every thread is suitable to every person, and I'm sorry they chose not to participate based on the rules or my handling of the misunderstanding or whatever, but I've been in the same situation and chosen not to participate in both normal threads and contests for the same (or similar) reasons. I, personally, would have loved to see them here, but not at the expense of their own comfort (or ethics, or whatever was compromised by the thread or the way it's been handled).

* Note that I said "minimize" and not eliminate. I am not that naive ;)

Ah - But they ("My" Friends) are not a Mystery to "Me", nor are some of them any longer to "YOU" they have all intention of Joining in the FUN during the next "Game"/"Contest" (whatever you decide to call it) and They have also said to "Me" that they actually are going to be purchasing "Stuff" from "Mom-Pop" after seeing what is there . . . So in the long run - it was a postive thing to have happened . . . :thumbs:

More importantly, I think you should know they were not disappointed at all with your idea for this game . . . they were more than willing to participated and wanted to . .. Nor did it have anything to do with the :rules: you set-up for this "game" . . . It was the drama that was started by one person and then the rule change after people started entering - Nothing else.

:facepalm: SEE - A "Friend" of "Mine" . . . ;)

Now watch out she is a "Roller Derby" Woman and can "Check" Ya' if need be too . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that would be NICE - Really "Like" a Good Pair of "CRAZY SOCKS" . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;)

And some people come in and get things started and bicker back and forth instead of just letting the OP run the contest the way they see fit. That's when I usually back away...........just really needed to say that.

AND - Again I couldn't agree with anyone more . . . The OP should set the "Game"/"Contest" and the :rules: as they see fit and once the FUN has started no one should try to convince them them to change things up mid-way - nor start any confusion . . . which is what happen that scared some people away - thankfully not all . . . AND - Sorry, but that is the truth and "Pwyll" is asking for input now . . . So I am providing some information so he can get a full consensus . . .:)

Matter of fact, I really "like" "Mom-Pop", not only have I ordered from them when they first opened up "shop," I have been lurking in their thread and sub-forum for quite some time, especially when "pwyll" came on board . . . Not only do I find them to be one of the better Venders here they and "pwyll" have always been upfront and gone out of their way to help others, including here in the ECF Community . . . Just sayin' . . . ;)

Last edited:

thehangdude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
I love their tobacco haze and the ry4. Whats the buds blend like?

Bud's Blend is as if Haze and Praze had a child. There is a good review of Bud's Blend on Mom & Pop's website. It kinda describes what was done.

My taste buds are not perfect after 250,000+ cigarettes. I find Haze, Praze, and Bud's Blend very similar. If you put all three in front of me, I am not sure I could tell the difference. I can tell there is a difference, just not sure if I could pick which is which.

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
GREAT - I have no problem with that at all - nor would I . . . I just wish others felt the same way and left "You" alone to run the "game" as you saw fit . . . ;)

As you may remember - I "Like" consensus and couldn't agree with you more, nor should there be any "DEBATE" . . . Your "Game"/"Contest" Your :rules: - DONE . . . AND - That should be the end of the conversation - No one should have interferred or tried to influence you to change those :rules: after the "game" was started, as far as I am concerned . . .:thumbs:

I think the biggest problem that occurred was that I didn't really have the rules "set in stone." While they were written in the first post, the whole game to get people to start posting pictures was a spur-of-the-moment thing when I was opening the thread, and the wording was a bit vague in some areas. Also, in a later discussion I made a couple of comments that were misconstrued--that happens to me a lot :facepalm:

All in all, I think the whole thing went quite smoothly considering it expanded well beyond what I expected. I didn't even have to shut the whole thing down over controversy, and we've both seen that happen here at ECF :)

Ah - But they ("My" Friends) are not a Mystery to "Me", nor are some of them any longer to "YOU" they have all intention of Joining in the FUN during the next "Game"/"Contest" (whatever you decide to call it) and They have also said to "Me" that they actually are going to be purchasing "Stuff" from "Mom-Pop" after seeing what is there . . . So in the long run - it was a postive thing to have happened . . . :thumbs:

More importantly, I think you should know they were not disappointed at all with your idea for this game . . . they were more than willing to participated and wanted to . .. Nor did it have anything to do with the :rules: you set-up for this "game" . . . It was the drama that was started by one person and then the rule change after people started entering - Nothing else.

I would suspect you know at least most of them ;)

There have been a fair few people state flatly "Uncle sent me" or "I'm here because of Uncle." They don't count within my term "your mysterious friends" as there is no mystery.
I suspect there is a larger contingent of people here at your invitation that have not noted that but have posted. They don't count for purposes of my reply since I was only referring to those who
... refused to enter or even participate ...

I did not mean it to sound derogatory in any way, I was merely noting that they made a decision that precluded their opinion from being known. I can't have a poor opinion of that sort of thing as I do it myself all the time :2cool:

Also, I am happy to hear that it was not the game itself that turned them away, but I am curious about the "rule change." The only thing I can think of that it could be was that I took "likes" off the table as a criteria for judging, but this
Since I'm paying for the gift certificate, I get to pick the winner. Stuff like this is always difficult, so I will be guided by the number of likes each picture receives. If the votes are close (not necessarily a tie) I will pick who gets the gift certificate, but if one picture has a clear margin over all the others, it will win.
was in the first post from the very beginning. "Likes" were never the sole criteria for the game, I merely removed their influence. It's debatable whether that's actually a rule change or not--I didn't think so but I can easily see why others might have. If I had considered it a rule change, I would have shut down the thread and opened a new one with clarified, and clearly delineated, rules. (Like the monthly contests will have ;))

Of course if that's not what you were talking about then I'm even more clueless than usual :)

:facepalm: SEE - A "Friend" of "Mine" . . . ;)

Now watch out she is a "Roller Derby" Woman and can "Check" Ya' if need be too . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that would be NICE - Really "Like" a Good Pair of "CRAZY SOCKS" . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;)

We likes the Derby here, at least in my house. My wife's piercer skates for one of the Cincinnati teams, and I'm old enough/young enough that when I was growing up you couldn't find professional wrestling on TV but you couldn't miss the Roller Derby :D

AND - Again I couldn't agree with anyone more . . . The OP should set the "Game"/"Contest" and the :rules: as they see fit and once the FUN has started no one should try to convince them them to change things up mid-way - nor start any confusion . . . which is what happen that scared some people away - thankfully not all . . . AND - Sorry, but that is the truth and "Pwyll" is asking for input now . . . So I am providing some information so he can get a full consensus . . .:)

Someone made an honest mistake. It managed to escalate very quickly before I got to it. It got blown out of proportion, at least in part because of a couple of poor word choices on my part whilst trying to contain it. It was smoothed over and everything back to normal in about 15 hours. I'm sorry that scared some people away, but again I can understand why.

Matter of fact, I really "like" "Mom-Pop", not only have I ordered from them when they first opened up "shop," I have been lurking in their thread and sub-forum for quite some time, especially when "pwyll" came on board . . . Not only do I find them to be one of the better Venders here they and "pwyll" have always been upfront and gone out of their way to help others, including here in the ECF Community . . . Just sayin' . . . ;)

Aw, dude--you don't have to butter nobody up. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread