Sigelei or Smoktek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnlgreggo

Mar 22, 2013
Florida
I think I have decided on a Vmax as my first "big" mod. I am running a Joye ego twist 1000 at the moment. Tired of breaking out my Fluke meter to check ohms, want to try variable wattage mode etc. Just haven't quite decided on the sigelei or smoktek. Anyone have or try both? Any advice or insight? They are pretty comparable in price so that's not an issue. Thankyou for any help! :2cool:

Last edited:

Renzuli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2011
North Las Vegas
Welcome , but skip the Vmax , and run , don't stop and get a Segelei Zmax instead . Has both VV , and VW . Lots of improvements over the Smok version . Don't tell anybody , but I think Smok and Segelei , are one and the same company , or at least , offshoots , there of . And by all means , get the Stainless steel version . Nice heft to it . And the Zmax's can use either two 18350's or one 18650 . The Vmax , can only use the 18350's .

Offday

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2013
Inland Empire
I agree with going with the sigelei over the smoktek Vmax it does a little more and I love the oled screen. Although I don't own one myself. Can you do the same thing with the zmax that the sigelei can do? Of course. Simply download an ohms law calculator to your phone and it will tell you exactly what your voltage setting should be for any wattage you want. Its more of a pain but its more accurate in fact because you can adjust you voltage for a wattage setting you like in finer than the 0.5 Watt increment. Because the voltage adjustment is 0.1 increments. So if you wanted to vape at say 7.57 Watts. Only problem is it wont automatically adjust when you change between the different resistance devices you attach. But that's dependent on your juice as well so even with a VW device you have to fine tune it to taste anyway.
The sigelei is a little larger in diameter than the smok. I do like the telescoping zmax just because of its versatility with batteries. Best bet is to simply, if you can, find a couple retailers in your area and "hold them" and then its whatever floats your boat.

Must admit....even though I have no reason to buy yet another mod. I'm looking at a zmax mini right now, smallest VV 18350 mod I've held in my hand to date. Lot's smaller than the provari mini.

Shreck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2009
Olivet, Michigan, United States
Vaping with a Smok Zmax V2 right now. It does have Variable wattage, and it does have the 8th menu item to change between RMS and MEAN modes of output. Vmax is variable voltage only. Either of the Zmax models has variable wattage. The screen is really the only difference. And I am really happy with my Smok branded Zmax.
Research and decide for yourself what is best for you. It seems that asking people to help you decide is leading to misinformation.

Shreck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2009
Welcome , but skip the Vmax , and run , don't stop and get a Segelei Zmax instead . Has both VV , and VW . Lots of improvements over the Smok version . Don't tell anybody , but I think Smok and Segelei , are one and the same company , or at least , offshoots , there of . And by all means , get the Stainless steel version . Nice heft to it . And the Zmax's can use either two 18350's or one 18650 . The Vmax , can only use the 18350's .

I am interested, what are the "improvements" of the segelei brand over the Smok brand besides the oled screen?

Shreck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2009
Kinda funny since the Provari mini is 88mm, and the Zmax mini is 94mm.... Zmax is lighter though.
Its lighter because zmax is 20 mm diameter and provari is 23 mm diameter.
1/8inch in diameter gives alot more heft than 1/4 inch in length I would guess.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
They improved the quality on the newest revisions of Zmax.
It's very heavy and solid.

The plug in area for the clearomizer has been upgraded and is rugged.
The electronics in the latest revisions, reportedly have been upgraded.

In other words the Smoktek, word in the street is they came out with one unit and are still producing that Unit.

The
ZZ Zmax is constantly innovating and improving. This is what I've gleaned on the Forum.

I just bought a ZZ Zmax and am happy, I let someone use it at a gathering and he screwed the Kanger t3 in so hard I had to use a pliers to get it out. No damage to the unit. This made me a believer.

At the same time I bought a Itaste MVP and thank gosh that wasn't the unit. It has a more delicate head.

KY0TE

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
UTAH
I like the smok better.. The segelei i had snapped at the carto threads ripping a wire out of it.. Smok is better , my friend has one and we're in construction. ive seen him drop his 20+ times on concrete from 5 feet scratches,broken led glass.. still burning.. My 2 cents and experience say go with SMOKTECH and get your money put of it..

tnlgreggo

Mar 22, 2013
Florida
Sorry for the typo I meant Zmax not Vmax. I definitely want to try the variable wattage and I like the look of them alot from pics on the net. We have 4 brick and morters locally and only one has the Smoke version so its hard to compare the two in person. I am a mechanic by trade but i doubt I will be taking it to work with me, just keep bringing the ego twist for that. I am kinda leaning to the Sigelei but was thinking since a local vendor sells the smok i might do better if I had any issues. Still contemplating.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
One big plus for the Sigelei is that is has full eGo threading. So it can be used with any 510 or eGo threaded toppers allowing more options in using and selecting cartos, clearos, etc. Sigeleis are also built out of heavier material.

I've had both and I got rid of my Smoktech Zmax after getting my Sigelei. I just got the newest Sigelei v3 Flat Head Telescoping mod this week. This one has the nicest finish and and best maching I've seen in a Chinese mod. It also feels well balanced and great in my hand.

image.jpg

I got mine here: ZMax OLED Telescope VV and VW - E Cig : Best Ejuice | Joye eGo & eGo-T | Boge Leo | Cartomizers | E-Liquid | Electronic Cigarettes

Offday

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2013
Inland Empire
Kinda funny since the Provari mini is 88mm, and the Zmax mini is 94mm.... Zmax is lighter though.

Yeah I know, don't get me wrong there is no way to go wrong with the Provari mini. But its the same diameter as its larger brother, and like all Provari's.....really hefty. I know its the build quality. The zmax mini is just a sleek little device. A lot more stealthy in my humble opinion. Only about the diameter of a penny as opposed to the "quarter " size diameter of the Provari mini. But that's just my tastes. Would like to hold a telescoping zmax, can't even find a pic online next to a zmax mini for a size comparison. Trying to find a local shop that has one I can hold. I just love telescoping mods, but most are overly long in their 18350 mode for some reason, if it was the same length as the mini zmax when in 18350 mode id buy one and not think twice about it. But it looks a bit longer to me and there's no real reason for it to be that way.

DanKnowsJack

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2013
Ephrata, PA
Yeah I know, don't get me wrong there is no way to go wrong with the Provari mini. But its the same diameter as its larger brother, and like all Provari's.....really hefty. I know its the build quality. The zmax mini is just a sleek little device. A lot more stealthy in my humble opinion. Only about the diameter of a penny as opposed to the "quarter " size diameter of the Provari mini. But that's just my tastes. Would like to hold a telescoping zmax, can't even find a pic online next to a zmax mini for a size comparison. Trying to find a local shop that has one I can hold. I just love telescoping mods, but most are overly long in their 18350 mode for some reason, if it was the same length as the mini zmax when in 18350 mode id buy one and not think twice about it. But it looks a bit longer to me and there's no real reason for it to be that way.

My stealth is a Chinese GG clone. With a small RDA it fits nicely in my palm. Hell even with a carto tank the thing is small. Easily fits in the palm of my hand. The GG clone, an RDA, and a small bottle of juice.... nothing stealthier IMO.

piruned

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
huntsville, al
Something to note, my Smok Zmax button broke after about 3 days use. The 18650 battery I was using pushed against the circuit board so hard, that it actually broke something inside it. The board dropped ever so slightly, causing the button to misfire about 50% of the time. Since the button only requires 3 clicks to get into the menu, many times I would be upping my voltage instead of applying power to get a vape.

It drove me nuts for about a week before I retired the thing for a Vamo. Check your spring when you do get it, and make sure your battery isn't smashing that board. If it is, you can apply a little heat to the spring and compress it some. You could also clip it a little at a time as well.

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana

I have the Sigelei ZMax, and I would recommend it. I have to agree with Renzuli.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Something to note, my Smok Zmax button broke after about 3 days use. The 18650 battery I was using pushed against the circuit board so hard, that it actually broke something inside it. The board dropped ever so slightly, causing the button to misfire about 50% of the time. Since the button only requires 3 clicks to get into the menu, many times I would be upping my voltage instead of applying power to get a vape.

It drove me nuts for about a week before I retired the thing for a Vamo. Check your spring when you do get it, and make sure your battery isn't smashing that board. If it is, you can apply a little heat to the spring and compress it some. You could also clip it a little at a time as well.

The Sigelei comes with two caps. The unprotected 18650 will fit with the smaller cap. The larger 18650 or two 18350 will fit with the extended cap.

With all due respect, sounds like user error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread