ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Mine didn't come with batteries, but it can use button top or flat top. I'm using the same AW 18650 lmr batteries I use in my Provari. Being able to just grab a battery and drop it into either is a plus for me. I agree with yzer on the Nitecore chargers. The I4 isn't much more than the I2 and gives you the option to charge more than 2 batts. It also does Li-ion, Li-Mg, NiMH, and NiCad in mixed mode.

MotoMudder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2013
Sumner, WA
Sweet thanks guys. I figured I'd be better off just getting the good batteries and charger from the get go. Efest 2k and the i4 charger are, I believe, what I picked out the other day.
It's really too bad desertvape has the body on order instead of in stock, they do have a very good price. I still have a couple days, but if they don't get in stock I'll be forced to go elsewhere and pay a little more.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
You are better off just buying the unit because any "kit" you find will probabky come with a garbage charger and garbage batteries. I have the V5 and use Efest 18650's, 18490's and 18350's flat tops.

I agree. Look for a body only deal. Little difference between V3 and V5 except V5 has cell phone charging on the menu. There are some deals with V5 NOT including the 510 charger. So in reality you end up with a V3. I have had excellent luck with mine. Far more reliable and easier to use the the SVD.

MotoMudder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2013
Sumner, WA
Gonna get a V5, 2 18650 Efest 2k, and the i4 charger. the last two were already in my Amazon cart from the other day. I had a feeling I was gonna go this route.
Now to see if Desertvape has the V5 in stock by Saturday. If not then I'll have to use ebay.

Thanks guys, I aint rich, so I like to make sure I dont throw a decent amount on something that Im just gonna replace.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Gonna get a V5, 2 18650 Efest 2k, and the i4 charger. the last two were already in my Amazon cart from the other day. I had a feeling I was gonna go this route.
Now to see if Desertvape has the V5 in stock by Saturday. If not then I'll have to use ebay.

Thanks guys, I aint rich, so I like to make sure I dont throw a decent amount on something that Im just gonna replace.

I think you'll like the V3 or the V5 and the Nitecore charger. I have the V3. The V5 comes with updated firmware and the USB charger port from what I understand. My V3 doesn't have the USB adapter and I'm fine with that.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States

As of today in the v5 model Stainless round top is the only one in stock at Desert Vapes. Stainless V3s are in stock both round and flat tops.

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
rounding third and heading home...
the v5 is agreat mod- it has the removable top cap (unlike the v3) which makes it easier to clean. it has the new firmware and the display screen shows the battery level which is a nice upgrade. i have both(along with some dna20 mods) and i use the v5 more than any other mod i own. it feels great and has never let me down.

as far as charger, i have a 4 bay xtar and it has proven to be the best charger of the many i have owned- as a plus it charges not only the lithium batteries i use for e-cigs but also charges nimh batteries and i have a ton of those for use around my house. you can mix and charge independently in any bay which makes it versatile.

while i have imr batteries, with the v5 and other regulated mods i have no problem using any good battery. the v5 has all the protection built-in with the circuitry on board. go for higher mah ratings to have a longer vape between changes. the panasonics with 3100 or 3400 mah last a really long time....
all-in-all the v5 is a nicely priced , rugged, and good looking mod that will last, and what else do you really need? over time you may WANT other devices but you won't NEED anything else.....:2c:

MotoMudder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2013
Sumner, WA
I don't like the 18650,s in mine It just don't look good telescoped
I run 18350,s they only last about 3 to 4 hours but fits real nice in my hand and looks good :)
I use a pro tank 1 on mine the pro tank 2 has a really restricted draw on the Zmax V5

Yea I might have to grab some 18350's if I dont like the looks or feel.
Sucks about the PT2, I just got one. But if it seems restricted I'll just snag a aero base and try that out.

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
rounding third and heading home...
I run 18350,s they only last about 3 to 4 hours but fits real nice in my hand and looks good :)
I use a pro tank 1 on mine the pro tank 2 has a really restricted draw on the Zmax V5

try a kayfun lite + or russian 91% and you'll never mess with the protanks again... if you don't want to rebuild try an aspire nautilus with adjustable air flow. looks great on a v5 and puts makes any other clearo pale by comparison.....
looks are subjective, but with an 18500 the v5 is just alittle longer than the 18350 mode and you get much longer vape times. the slight telescoping also makes it easier to hold then the completely flush look of the 18350.....again, just my 2cents........

MotoMudder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2013
Sumner, WA
So got my zmax and my batteries. Was really shocked how big this thing is, I like it. Figured I'd post a pic for anyone who might be considering one and notices this thread.
Innokin I taste v3 w/mini PT2 vs Sigelei zmax v5 18650 batt w/PT2
yqe2uze5.jpg

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

I have a screw in extender adapter that I think came with my Evod. Evod comes with an eGo thread and an adapter to convert to male 510 threads. I use the adapter on the Sigelei Zmax V3 to raise the Protank just a millimeter or so and the light draw returns. Check with your vendor.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
And I want to add that the zmax is a great piece, only complaint is the features of showing stuff on screen is pointless. Only works when firing. How are you supposed to see screen when taking a puff?

It stays on the screen barely long enough to view it after you release the fire button, but you have to look quickly. I usually press and look and then vape.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread