Silver coated copper contacts? Silver plated? Copper? Brass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
Kaua'i - Nevada
Whats the deal here. What is the one to look for? Silver plated? Silver plated copper? Copper? Brass?

Looking for my next mechanical and Im seeing so many different contacts, looking for the best conductivity.

BTW this is not for authentic, this is for clones. Im looking at stuff like

Launcher v2 - copper contacts

Stingray - Silver plated copper

Astro - Brass

Magneto - Brass

Whats better and why?

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Copper has much better conductivity than brass (like 4X better). Copper tarnishes quickly, and isn't as hard (depending on the alloy, think of it as a little harder than aluminum). So people plate the copper with silver, which also has excellent conductivity. But silver is soft too, and tarnishes fairly easily.

All of this is about voltage drop, really. How much of your 4.2 Volts is getting to your coil. Any of these materials will do nicely for conducting electrical current. What you maybe really want to see is how the whole system is set up. Say, for example, a silver plated copper contact won't do you much if it's passing the current on to a chintzy little spring.

Beryllium Copper is nice .. . . . I don't think it tarnishes as readily as pure copper. Also, I believe it's harder.

Brass is mucho plenty good enough.

I'm getting about .3V dropped with a .4Ω coil on a mod that's a mix of brass, aluminum and beryllium copper for carrying the current.
(what does that mean? . .. That means, when I say I'm vaping at 37 Watts, I really am vaping at 37 Watts)

Last edited:

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
los angeles, california, USA
So What would I specifically want per say like Brass tubes? copper? Stainless? The launcher is SS and other than that a brass nemmy which would also add to my collection. Maybe a magneto?

Brass contacts on a brass magneto?

Silverplated Brass nemesis?

Launcher SS with Copper contacts?
Ok, so you want the most conductive with the least upkeep/maintenance. That's definitely going to be silver plated copper contacts since silver is the most conductive metal with copper being second most conductive. That's in terms of contacts, but the material of your mods body is going to be very important too, so try to find a copper mod or at the very least a high quality lead free brass ie 464 naval brass. Another thing to keep in mind is, so many people put all the focus on the mod, but what atomizer you put on top coupled with the build you put in it is just as important if not more important to your Vape quality.in fact, I'd have to say it's more important.

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
los angeles, california, USA
Ok, so you want the most conductive with the least upkeep/maintenance. That's definitely going to be silver plated copper contacts since silver is the most conductive metal with copper being second most conductive. That's in terms of contacts, but the material of your mods body is going to be very important too, so try to find a copper mod or at the very least a high quality lead free brass ie 464 naval brass. Another thing to keep in mind is, so many people put all the focus on the mod, but what atomizer you put on top coupled with the build you put in it is just as important if not more important to your Vape quality.in fact, I'd have to say it's more important.
out of those options the brass nemesis would be best, but there are much better options out there. Like most copper mods will perform significantly better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread