Silver contact question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classic vaper

Jan 12, 2019
I have been vaping with copper contacts in my mechs for six years. I won a silver comp lyfe contact from platinum vapes but I'm not familiar with these. Are they safer because they conduct faster? Or do they put more stress on the battery? I would just like to know the do"s and dont's of solid silver contacts before I put it in one of my comp lyfe mods.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thanks. So I guess that means that silver is not harder on the battery right? I just practice extreme safety.
upload_2019-1-12_18-10-43.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: Classic vaper

FΛDED

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2017
Austin, Texas
But.. that doesn't mean copper contacts are much of a difference. A clean copper contact vs clean silver you can't really tell. Dirty; night and day. That's why mech users love good batteries and a clean mech. I don't know, my silver contact mechs do ramp up the fastest.

Classic vaper

Jan 12, 2019
Get the .... outa her
But.. that doesn't mean copper contacts are much of a difference. A clean copper contact vs clean silver you can't really tell. Dirty; night and day. That's why mech users love good batteries and a clean mech. I don't know, my silver contact mechs do ramp up the fastest.
agreed . That's why I've been polishing my non-coated mods once a week for the past 6 years.

FΛDED

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2017
Austin, Texas
Get the .... outa her

agreed . That's why I've been polishing my non-coated mods once a week for the past 6 years.

Yup. And I like silver > copper contacts; less cleaning; dirtiness, carbon residue, tarnish. With fast instant ramp up. But I'll still buy and use my mech tubes that are pure copper as well. I don't mind the weekly cleaning and maintenance either. I enjoy a nice rich deep tarnish on the tube but not on my contacts.

You'll thoroughly enjoy your mech after installing those pure silver ones. I have no doubt.

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I would imagine the contact is silver plated rather than solid silver. Yes silver is marginally more conductive, but my understanding of why this is done is that silver is far more corrosion resistant than copper meaning the contacts need to be cleaned less.

To answer OPs question - strictly speaking yes the (very slightly) lower resistance may draw a tiny bit more amperage and therefore put a minuscule amount more strain on the battery. But at levels so small as to be irrelevant.
Worry yourself not.

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA

No silver here, too poor:( Use a pencil eraser to clean all my contacts...

Off topic, but anyone over fifty who has never seen it should go to Youtube and search for "clean copper clappers".

Reactions: FΛDED

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Yes silver is marginally more conductive, but my understanding of why this is done is that silver is far more corrosion resistant than copper meaning the contacts need to be cleaned less.
Silver does tarnish readily, but for whatever reason, that doesn't seem to degrade the contacts much.

• Useful
Reactions: Opinionated

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
It is more than just the materials used but also how they are applied. And in the grand scheme of things, how much does it actually influence the vape. @Mooch performed some tests and discovered there is not much difference between the metals.

View attachment 791847
Yep, the body of the mod is not going to make much difference. The make/break contacts, and the other points of contact such as the threads, are where you'll find the losses.

FΛDED

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2017
Austin, Texas
Use a pencil eraser to clean all my contacts...

Me too. I use an art eraser I got at hobby lobby (the rectangle block kind) or you can even use a micro fibre cloth and just rub the contact back and forth on that. You don't really need a polish or solution. Ketchup will also work but you'll smell like a McDonalds.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Silver does tarnish readily, but for whatever reason, that doesn't seem to degrade the contacts much.
Silver oxide is a semiconductor, copper oxide is not. Thin layers of both are easily dislodged in the context of a mod switch, but I suppose if you let your contacts get really mucky then there would be a significant difference. Clean your mech regularly and the choice between these two metals becomes irrelevant.
Silver contacts sound better from a marketing perspective.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Clean your mech regularly and the choice between these two metals becomes irrelevant.
Silver contacts sound better from a marketing perspective.
My personal experience is that silver can go a lot longer between cleanings while maintaining decent performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread