Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
I read about a member, Treehead, who is looking for ideas of what to do with some extra very pure silver wire he had left over from a project of his (he has made his own Sterling Silver PV). He might be a good person to ask as he has first hand knowledge of working with silver. Here's his thread: So I have some pure silver :D.

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK
No. It's about the worst idea you could have.

The whole point of the coil is to have a high resistance. When we talk about a low resistance coil, we are talking in relation to normal resistance, which might be one ohm. Even a 0.1 ohm coil is still high resistance relative to what you would get with copper wire or, god forbid, silver. If you made a copper coil like we make Kanthal ones, it would come out to about 0.01 ohms instead of 1 ohm. With silver it would be about 0.009 ohms.

If you took that and put it on a mech mod, you'd be looking at 1,369 watts. One and a third kilowatts. You'd be drawing 370 amps, so the chances are that the wire would vaporise before the battery did. If you were lucky, you'd only be inhaling gaseous copper and seriously injuring your lungs.

You could make the wire thin enough to have the same resistance as Kanthal. If my mental arithmetic is right, it would be about 0.02mm diameter, or about 50awg. It would be murder to work with and it would have such a small surface area that it would vape horribly.

Last edited:

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
download (35).jpg

This guy likes silver wire :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread