Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Not the first time and won't be the last. I'm more careful about 'all, always, never, should' :)

It's weird because I know the different words and the proper use of them... but sometimes my fingers are like on auto-pilot or something -- my brain may know which word I mean, but sometimes my fingers have a mind of their own!!! :facepalm: It happens a great deal with all the various version of 'to'. :facepalm:

Andria

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Popped in thread to check out discussion on Diacetyl. Found people talking about everything but diacetyl.

I pads, eating habbits, blah blah blah. Just saying.

There's about 50 other threads on it. It's been discussed to death. The OP's link was just another media attempt to throw fuel on anti-ecigarette propaganda with any possible stretch. Sometimes it's antifreeze, sometimes fake poisonings, this time more on diacetyl dangers.... blah, blah, blah :)

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama

Yep, science (especially public health) is a funny and fickle thing. For years we heard that saturated fat kills, but recent studies have cast major doubt on that. If you're interested in the topic, I highly recommend Gary Taubes' books/videos. He is a physics journalist who decided to study this topic and he came to a similar conclusion (fats don't kill, carbs and sugar does). His research is top notch and his books contain many references. The most convincing part of his argument is that some native populations (in the past) ate almost 100% fatty meats and the rate of obesity and heart disease was nearly zero.

I think something that was missed in a lot of the old studies was the genetic component. I think a lot of disease is just genetic and a lot of this "environmental" stuff (saturated fats being a perfect example) is just BS. It's mostly genetics. One day everyone will have their genome sequenced at birth and we will be able to tell them exactly what chance they have of getting XYZ disease. Of course, there might be environmental triggers that susceptible people should avoid, but environment in itself doesn't cause most disease. That's why you see old people who smoked for 50 years doing just fine and younger people with lung cancer.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Yep, science (especially public health) is a funny and fickle thing. For years we heard that saturated fat kills, but recent studies have cast major doubt on that. If you're interested in the topic, I highly recommend Gary Taubes' books/videos. He is a physics journalist who decided to study this topic and he came to a similar conclusion (fats don't kill, carbs and sugar does). His research is top notch and his books contain many references. The most convincing part of his argument is that some native populations (in the past) ate almost 100% fatty meats and the rate of obesity and heart disease was nearly zero.

I'm familiar with Taubes but more familiar with Atkins and others before him. That 'fight' (Atkins and Taubes critics) is basically with PETA and has nothing to do with diet. (no intent of discussing that here, but just to point it out ;- )

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I think something that was missed in a lot of the old studies was the genetic component. I think a lot of disease is just genetic and a lot of this "environmental" stuff (saturated fats being a perfect example) is just BS. It's mostly genetics.

A lot of truth in that. I can't eat much cholesterol; gall stones, so cholesterol simply won't digest and makes me sick for 3 days -- yet in blood work-ups, my cholesterol always tends to the high side; my husband has high blood pressure, but still eats hamburgers and eggs -- yet his cholesterol is always low. The only factor that makes any sense at all is genetic.

Andria

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Was reading another thread that made the point that most vapers (absolutely) do not want products that are made in someone's basement or kitchen.

Show me these wonderful products that are made in a lab setting, or mass production line, that contain inherent safety. Cause last time I checked, BT was making products not in a kitchen or basement. All poisonous products (i.e. cleaning solutions) aren't made in someone's basement or kitchen. All fast food vendors (and manufacturers) aren't making products in someone's home kitchen or basement. And pretty sure most people (absolutely) would prefer food made in a home kitchen over a fast food production.

I'm sure I could go on with this point, citing other examples, but think I have made it squarely. If any consumer wants products that are made in massive factory setting or concocted in small professional lab setting, I say great. Go for it. But to elevate that to only this and not the other, because only this has quality, is erroneous thinking. To assume there is no viable market for the home made concoctions is, I would argue, very misleading. A small professional lab or mass production line isn't going to come without enormous costs both to manufacturer and eventually to consumer. And while some, perhaps a majority of, businesses could get this (absolutely) right, it stands to reason that some could get it dreadfully wrong, and in so doing, will produce massive errors that will impact way more consumers than any smaller business could possibly encounter.

A small business (of the home made variety) stands as much of a reasonable chance of being concerned with diacetyl issue as massive, so called quality oriented, business. And arguably, the small business could carry more vapes that are actually diacetyl free, whereas massive business may go with 'up to this limit' that is agreed upon by a scientific body, even while some scientists (and surely some consumers) will vehemently disagree with that stated limit.

All this I say because my public wager stands. Those who think massive production lines and highly touted safety standards guarantee better product, are ones I would like to wager with. I contend more harm will be noted to come to vaping consumers than in the under regulated market we have now. If you believe otherwise, please, let us wager. Thus far, zero takers, which tells me this political game of seeking extremely high standards is a lot of hot air being mixed in with the vapor market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread