AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
TL;DR
I think I may enjoy vaping diacetyl in my eliquid that is deemed 98% safer than smoking. Why would you, anyone, seek to change that?

If others want to vape it, it doesn't bother me a bit; I don't think it necessarily needs to be removed from everything -- but I do think it needs to be noted, if it's in there, for those who really don't want to vape it. Having it in there, and lying about it, that's what bugs me the most. And then if they're quizzed about the fact that it IS in there, but they said it wasn't, for them to hedge with "well it's just a tiny bit." :facepalm: That's just reprehensible. A tiny bit is still more than none, which is the amount I prefer. This is the main reason I decided to take up full-scale DIY; the flavor vendors are (mostly) being proactive about either removing diketones, or making variations of established flavors without diketones, which seems more trustworthy to me than a "famous" very-popular juice maker saying there are no diketones in there, and then lying about it when they are found. If they're willing to lie about that... what else are they lying about? A natural question, when faced with an outright lie.

Andria

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
It's even worse than that. If we had listened to the "health" fundamentalists diet advice in the '80's we'd all be dead. Time to fire these parasites and use the funds for something actually useful, like subsidies for vape gear :)

Well, actually, the obesity epidemic was caused by that last one - 'And thus it starts..' True junk science, cherry picking during Lent??? :facepalm: and because it was in Time mag and elsewhere, everyone believed it, gov't programs changed the food pyramid, etc. etc. Low fat, high carb (even complex carbs) diets cause obesity. High protein diets don't.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
If others want to vape it, it doesn't bother me a bit; I don't think it necessarily needs to be removed from everything -- but I do think it needs to be noted, if it's in there, for those who really don't want to vape it. Having it in there, and lying about it, that's what bugs me the most. And then if they're quizzed about the fact that it IS in there, but they said it wasn't, for them to hedge with "well it's just a tiny bit." :facepalm: That's just reprehensible. A tiny bit is still more than none, which is the amount I prefer. This is the main reason I decided to take up full-scale DIY; the flavor vendors are (mostly) being proactive about either removing diketones, or making variations of established flavors without diketones, which seems more trustworthy to me than a "famous" very-popular juice maker saying there are no diketones in there, and then lying about it when they are found. If they're willing to lie about that... what else are they lying about? A natural question, when faced with an outright lie.

Andria

Would phrasing along lines of, "our flavors may contain trace amounts of diacetyl" suffice for you?

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Would phrasing along lines of, "our flavors may contain trace amounts of diacetyl" suffice for you?

It would suffice for me to not buy whatever said that. :D

Really, for all we know, not one of us could ever vape enough of that stuff for it to become a problem -- but the uncertainty, and the grievous harm that *might* be possible, that's what gives me pause, and makes me not want to take the risk -- which is why the notation of it would be very helpful. I'm aware that others may not feel as I do, and for all I know, they may be right. It just seems a risk that to me, isn't worth taking.

Andria

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
It would suffice for me to not buy whatever said that. :D

Really, for all we know, not one of us could ever vape enough of that stuff for it to become a problem -- but the uncertainty, and the grievous harm that *might* be possible, that's what gives me pause, and makes me not want to take the risk -- which is why the notation of it would be very helpful. I'm aware that others may not feel as I do, and for all I know, they may be right. It just seems a risk that to me, isn't worth taking.

Andria

no one has ever been diagnosed with popcorn lung due to smoking.
there is 100x or more of diacetyl in cigarette smoke than the highest
amount ever found in e-juice.
there i fixed that for you.
:D
mike

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
no one has ever been diagnosed with popcorn lung due to smoking.
there is 100x or more of diacetyl in cigarette smoke than the highest
amount ever found in e-juice.
there i fixed that for you.
mike

Saying that something is less deadly than cigarettes is not exactly a high recommendation for it -- standing in the middle of an interstate may be less deadly than cigarettes, but I wouldn't do it. :D

Something that MAY have the potential to IRRITATE my lungs, that's a risk I can take.

Something that MAY have the potential to DESTROY my lungs... ummm, I'll pass, thanks.

Andria

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Saying that something is less deadly than cigarettes is not exactly a high recommendation for it -- standing in the middle of an interstate may be less deadly than cigarettes, but I wouldn't do it. :D

Something that MAY have the potential to IRRITATE my lungs, that's a risk I can take.

Something that MAY have the potential to DESTROY my lungs... ummm, I'll pass, thanks.

Andria

AndriaD you have to stop changing your avatar.
i thought i was recruiting a new convert.
;)
mike

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
AndriaD you have to stop changing your avatar.
i thought i was recruiting a new convert.
;)
mike

ROFL!!! I got bored, just staring at my own homely mug on all my posts. :D I'm a recent convert to kitty love, so I like to have funny cats as my avatar. :D

But I had funny cats even before I put my own mug up there... remember this charmer? coolcat.jpg

Andria

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Not for me. The use of the word 'may' kills the entire sentence. If that works for us, I would expect to see all kinds of liquids stating they 'may' contain trace amounts of diacetyl just as a matter of defensive labels.

Curious what you would like to see instead?

Actually more curious about what work you'd like to see done instead to appease you and who ought to pay for it, and how able are you to defend such a position?

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin

Andria

I would submit that vaping MAY have the POTENTIAL to destroy your lungs (with or without nicotine). Let me know if you have stopped vaping or if this was just a tactic used in a discussion.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I would submit that vaping MAY have the POTENTIAL to destroy your lungs (with or without nicotine). Let me know if you have stopped vaping or if this was just a tactic used in a discussion.

In my own case, I'd say it's far more a case of the former (irritate) than the latter (destroy). In any case, both irritation and potential for destruction is FAR less than that from cigarettes, and those are my only options -- vape or smoke. If I'd been able to abstain from smoking by any means, I'd have been a non-smoker long before e-cigs came around. E-cigs are the first and only method of quitting cigs that's ever worked for me, so whatever the risks, I have to abide them, because the alternative is much worse. And that's my primary reason for wishing to avoid all diketones in my vape -- harm reduction.

Andria

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
In my own case, I'd say it's far more a case of the former (irritate) than the latter (destroy). In any case, both irritation and potential for destruction is FAR less than that from cigarettes, and those are my only options -- vape or smoke. If I'd been able to abstain from smoking by any means, I'd have been a non-smoker long before e-cigs came around. E-cigs are the first and only method of quitting cigs that's ever worked for me, so whatever the risks, I have to abide them, because the alternative is much worse. And that's my primary reason for wishing to avoid all diketones in my vape -- harm reduction.

Andria

So, your lungs are destroyed from your many years of smoking? Or not destroyed, but had that potential?

And eCigs are "FAR less" destructive, with diacetyl in them. Imagine that.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
So, your lungs are destroyed from your many years of smoking? Or not destroyed, but had that potential?

And eCigs are "FAR less" destructive, with diacetyl in them. Imagine that.

And even less so, without diacetyl. Imagine that!

Andria

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
Curious what you would like to see instead?

Clearly state that the stuff does or does not contain diacetyl. The use of the word 'may' looks like the sign at the local delicatessen. Something like "Items may contain quantities of peanuts, other nuts, egg, or milk" In other words, it tells us exactly nothing.

Actually more curious about what work you'd like to see done instead to appease you and who ought to pay for it, and how able are you to defend such a position? Sorry, I have exactly no idea what you are asking here. .

ten characters

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Clearly state that the stuff does or does not contain diacetyl. The use of the word 'may' looks like the sign at the local delicatessen. Something like "Items may contain quantities of peanuts, other nuts, egg, or milk" In other words, it tells us exactly nothing.

It tells you that it you hate diacetyl in your vape, you ought to not buy this product.

I think it becomes more problematic if vendor is told by own lab reports that it does not contain it, but then someone else (i.e. ANTZ) finds trace amounts, such that some consumers then feel like they were lied to.

If I come to your house and ask if your tap water contains thus and so, are you going to know with 100% certainty what's in there? Granted, this isn't same thing, but is essentially same principle. We aren't talking about an ingredient, but a chemical component, and one that is literally feeding into ANTZ hysteria around eCigs.

That you and other vapers have serious issues with this is something I can respect up to a point. That point becomes something I want to debate you on if you are thinking it needs to be presented with stark terms to appease you. I say do your own testing, pay the $200 per batch and drop the fear mongering. It is not becoming of a vaping enthusiast.

Danie06

Jul 24, 2014
If I come to your house and ask if your tap water contains thus and so, are you going to know with 100% certainty what's in there? Granted, this isn't same thing, but is essentially same principle. We aren't talking about an ingredient, but a chemical component, and one that is literally feeding into ANTZ hysteria around eCigs.

That you and other vapers have serious issues with this is something I can respect up to a point. That point becomes something I want to debate you on if you are thinking it needs to be presented with stark terms to appease you. I say do your own testing, pay the $200 per batch and drop the fear mongering. It is not becoming of a vaping enthusiast.
The weird thing is: I havent seen anyone in this thread say anything along the line: the industry needs to clean up its act and test their liquids properly etc. Or: it shouldn’t be in any liquids.
Ive only seen people say: I don’t want to vape it, period.
Yet even that apparently seems to irritate you or you even criticise those people.
To me that’s the whole world upside down.
I don’t tell you what to vape, and I’d appreciate it you don’t tell me what to vape.

I refuse to become deaf, dumb and blind concerning vaping, just because of antz hysteria.
Vaping is a great thing, it is a lot safer than smoking, but it can still be made safer.
I bought my first e-cigarette 7 years ago and if I compare that piece of crap with what I use now, there’s been a tremendous improvement already. I’m sure that development will continue.

Now about my personal dislike for diacetyl and other diketones:
I used to vape custards all day long and I somehow didn’t feel very well. Here I was defending vaping as much as I could and yet I had a lot of health issues. I had problems breathing deep, got out of breath quickly while walking etc.
Just by accident I heard about diacetyl and I decided to start reading up on diacetyl and then I switched to a liquid with a very low amount of flavor and with enough testing done to it (in the right lab etc) to assure me it had no diacetyl (and the substances related to it) in it.
Within two weeks all my health issues disappeared.
Does that prove anything? Nope, it might have been purely coincidence. But to me it has only confirmed what I already read and heard about diacetyl.
And again: this is my safety, my health, my body.
This is all purely personal, how you wish to vape and what you wish to vape.
I’ve been a very heavy smoker for 35 years and I am very aware my lungs are probably a horrible mess because of it. Because of that I don’t want to take any avoidable risk with vaping.
I don’t see that as fear mongering, I see that as using my brains. And I’ll keep using my brains when vaping, no matter how people are now using Antz hysteria as an argument to vapers to become deaf, dumb and blind. If Antz are picking up on this diacetyl story its because the liquid industry has refused to clean up its act in the past few years. And yes they were warned for this.

And btw: yes it needs to be presented with very stark terms or I won’t buy the liquid. The industry sells something; they should test it and display the test results for all to see. We’d ask that from any industry, then why not ask the same basic info from the liquid industry.
Those of us that are concerned about diacetyl can simply buy their liquids from those liquid makers we trust and who already display those test results.
As long as I can see the results, I can make my own decision which liquid I’ll buy and which I won’t buy. Enough liquid makers already do this, so I don’t see why that would bother you.

And you dont have to agree with a single word I just posted. Maybe you’ll think I’m a nutcase (might be true but that’s another story.:p). You can vape diacetyl as much as you like, but I’d appreciate it if you don’t tell me what I should vape or what is or what isn’t becoming of a vaping enthusiast.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread