slight omega issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

tardcore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2009
pittsburgh, pa
so i've been borrowing a friend's omega for a bit now, and i love it (i'm actually gonna buy it from her, i think). there's just a slight issue now: i took it apart to clean (it was kinda yucky in there) and when putting it back together, i've noticed that the center pin has quite a lot of play (disassembled, if i hold just the pin and it's little collar, the pin will fall right out. reassembled, the pin still moves a bit when i flip the whole top part over (from looking down at it to looking up at it, if that makes sense.) when i reassemble per the video, and go to reattach it, my atty fires constantly. i squeezed the bottom spring down a bit, to give my battery some breathing room, but it would still fire if i wiggled it a bit. looking in some threads here, i found chad's advice to stick a credit card between the slide assembly and the outer headpiece, and it seems to be working good again now. the question i have is this: why is my pin so loose (to necessitate the use of the card, etc)? it's still a great device, mostly just wondering :)

cddz

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Newark, Ohio
but it shouldn't be so loose that it makes contact without depressing the switch, should it? these are flat-top batteries, by the way (harvested from a laptop battery pack).

What direction do you have the head of the contact pin? From the ounds of it you have the pin installed upside down. The head of the ppin goes up toward the atty connector.

cddz

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Newark, Ohio
Okay, after re-reading your first post. The purpose of the CC was to ensure you did not have the gap adjusted too close. Your gap should be .055-.065in. If it is much tighter than that it could fire without depressing the top. The OMEGA depends on tight tolerances to ensure compatability with all types of batteries and atomizers. You should hear the pin move up and down when you shake it without an atty attached, it is intended this way :)

tardcore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2009
pittsburgh, pa
still not understanding why that's required, though (the gap-setting via an inserted object). in your video you just hold it closed while tightening the first set-screw, then you let it go, the gap is formed, and then you tighten the rest. when i follow the video, my gap is super-tiny (i wish i had some calipers to measure, but it's really small).

cddz

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Newark, Ohio
Because I allowed more room for adjustment in the 3rd production run of OMEGA. The barrel of the contact can travel further into the head. After you reassemble it a few times it becomes second nature. I am sorry you are having troubles with setting your OMEGA up. I try to make them as user serviceable as possible :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread