Smok AL85 - "Check Battery" message

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve joe

Mar 10, 2017
So new to forums. My smok al85 reads “Check Battery” when I try to use it. I have checked a number of reviews and troubleshooting but can’t find any details, Has anyone else had this?; and how do I fix it?

If I’m in the wrong place please direct me to where I can find answers or post in the appropriate forum.

CoreyDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham, UK
Is the top battery cap screwed down fully? It can be a pain to get it fitting correctly as I've found with my Mrs AL85.

Stupid question, have you made sure the battery is inserted the correct way around? + to the bottom and - to the top?

Make sure battery is fully charged.

If the answer to all the above is yes, then all I can think it a dodgy battery. Do you have another 18650 you can check? If not I'd try another battery. Give LG, Samsung or Sony batteries a try. I'd recommend Samsung 30Q, LG HG2 or Sony VCT6

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The problem is almost certainly your battery.

Put a low drain ICR in a modern e-cig mod with the correct protections in the chip and only one thing is going to happen - "Check battery"....

Near as I can tell that's a flashlight battery. As @djsvapour pointed out it won't work. Here's a table of recommended batteries that also has a list of trusted vendors at the bottom courtesy of our battery guru mooch
Battery Chart.jpeg

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
So new to forums. My Smok AL85 reads “Check Battery” when I try to use it. I have checked a number of reviews and troubleshooting but can’t find any details, Has anyone else had this?; and how do I fix it?

If I’m in the wrong place please direct me to where I can find answers or post in the appropriate forum.
Welcome to ecf. So glad you joined us. You didn't say whether or not you were new to vaping, but I think to higher watt mods you must be. Just be sure when you order anything online to read the descriptions the vendor gives for the product you are buying. Most of them will say which kind of batteries to use and often offer up some they sell also. Always a good idea to check every aspect of any product you are buying and teach yourself how to use even if you don't buy all they offer. Please keep your safety always in the forefront. And of course, someone is always here at ecf 24/7/365 to help if you get stuck.

:)

Feb 7, 2016
Near as I can tell that's a flashlight battery. As @djsvapour pointed out it won't work. Here's a table of recommended batteries that also has a list of trusted vendors at the bottom courtesy of our battery guru mooch
View attachment 641249

Hello, I've been vaping for a few years now, and I've downsized to the al85 for its obv size convenience. I have a few batteries that only get halfway down b4 the devices safety settings read "check battery"... I ALSO have a battery or 2 that will allow the battery to drain all the way down to almost nothing b4 the "check battery" pops up. All of them are older batteries, some were parts married sets with dual mods I've had in passed-- b4 I go guy new batteries, I was wondering if you had insight on WHICH SPECS MATTER as far as this device goes i.e. Low discharge current & high mah, or high discharge current & low mah, visa versa etc. Any insight would be awesome! Thanks guys,

Sincerely,
A fellow NON-SMOKER

• Useful

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Using a regulated power device the battery you need is defined by the power range you intend to use.
Being the al85 is a single cell device the choices are somewhat limited if you intend to use 60w or above.

On the chart given above the Mooch amp rating is the starting point, then the mah.
It is a balancing act, select cells that give you sufficient amperage for the power range then acceptable run time (mah).

---> Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
b4 I go guy new batteries, I was wondering if you had insight on WHICH SPECS MATTER as far as this device goes i.e. Low discharge current & high mah, or high discharge current & low mah, visa versa etc.
It's a give-and-take. You need a battery capable of maintaining a discharge current higher than what you will be using it at. You want the highest mAh available, that still provides that adequate discharge current.

I believe (don't take my word for it) the AL85 cuts off when the battery drains to about 3.4 volts. If you're going to be using it at the full 85 watts, that's drawing 85/3.4 = 25 amps. Add 10% to power the device itself, you're looking at around 27.5A as a maximum (it will be lower when the battery has more charge, or if you select less than the full 85W).

Here is a recent battery chart posted by @Mooch. The numbers might need a little explanation:

CDR = Continuous Discharge Rating - this is the "every day" level you can use a battery, and still maintain good performance and battery life. From the man himself (emphasis mine): "CDR is not a safety or performance limit. It is a statement about how hard you can discharge the battery every single cycle, from 4.2V down to 2.5V, without losing more than a certain amount of capacity, or gaining a certain amount of internal resistance, after a certain number of cycles. It is the "every day" level you can operate at and still get good performance and good overall battery life. The CDR has almost nothing to do with safety except that because it is chosen to ensure decent cycle life it ends up setting a discharge current level that results in a huge safety margin." Note: CDR = "huge" safety margin. See MVA, below.

Mfg. CDR = Manufacturer's stated CDR - this is a useless spec, designed to sell product. Ignore it.

Actual CDR = the rating given by Mooch, based on his tests.

MVA = Max Vaping Amps - This one is tricky. Mooch recommends you not exceed this value, for purposes of personal safety in case of stuck button or other mod malfunction that results in continuous auto-fire. A continuous discharge at this current will generate a lot of heat in the battery (up to 212°F externally, I believe was his cutoff for this figure) and drastically shorten the lifespan of the battery (it might last for 50 charges, or it might last for 2 charges; you never know) but, other than potentially burning your hand if you grab the hot battery, this should not (no guarantees) pose any risk of personal harm. However, since we don't discharge our batteries continuously, you can in practice get away with drawing currents even higher (Mooch even goes so far as to say "much higher") than this, barring such a malfunction, without incident.

The Sony VTC4 (CDR: 23A, MVA: 30A, 2100mAh) has been a popular choice for quite a while, now, and I use several of them myself. There is also the new VTC5A [note the "A" - not the same as VTC5] (CDR: 25A, MVA: 30A, 2500mAh) that seems slightly better in both respects, but has not had as much time yet to prove itself. If you'd prefer to stay under CDR and not mess with MVA at all, then the LG HB2, HB4, and HB6 all have 30A CDR (and 35A MVA), but only 1500mAh capacity.

img_5226-jpg.652563

Occultgab2205

Dec 10, 2017
So new to forums. My Smok AL85 reads “Check Battery” when I try to use it. I have checked a number of reviews and troubleshooting but can’t find any details, Has anyone else had this?; and how do I fix it?

Lol, actually I had the same problem, before changing your battery or anything, put one or two THIN little piece of aluminium foil ! I know it looks weird but believe me it works ! The actual problem is the mod's battery pole ... not the battery itself :)

• Useful

Occultgab2205

Dec 10, 2017
Lol, actually I had the same problem, before changing your battery or anything, put one or two THIN little piece of aluminium foil ! I know it looks weird but believe me it works ! The actual problem is the mod's battery pole ... not the battery itself :)

Forgot to specify ..... put them INSIDE the cap, then put your cap on your battery

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. Yeppers, sounds like your battery has reached the end of its useful life and is ready for the Great Recycle Bin in the Sky. You don't say what power you like to vape, but if it routinely exceeds 60 watts allow me to suggest the LG HD2C or the Sony VTC5A cells. If you're normally below this wattage, any good 20A battery from the chart linked above will do nicely; viz. the Samsung Q or 25R, the LG HE4, etc. Welcome to the board.

AminyWin

Multiple ID Suspension
Dec 7, 2017
China
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: unregistered supplier

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
...put one or two THIN little piece of aluminium foil ! I know it looks weird but believe me it works ! The actual problem is the mod's battery pole ... not the battery itself
Forgot to specify ..... put them INSIDE the cap, then put your cap on your battery
I'm pretty sure that is a bad idea.

Off the top of my head, I don't recall the reason why. I do remember reading several past threads of folks using tin foil in the battery compartment of their mods and they always were always moved (by a forum moderator) to the "Not Recommended" sub-forum. I tried to find this forum to document "why" that is a bad practice, but I can't seem to find it.

Last edited:

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
Hello ladies and gentlemen.
My wife uses one of these al85.
It's fairly cheap and she's dropped it about 5 or 6 times on to a concrete floor. It serves its purpose and it doesn't break the bank to just buy another one. Hers after you change the battery jumps the watts to 80 from the regular 20 that she uses all by itself. I'm new to all of this but I do feel that smok al85 have some electronic glitches. I use a sigelei Spectrum Kaos double battery. good for 8 months so far. Hers does have electronical glitches from time to time but it still works and it's about 6 months old nothing lasts forever.IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread