Smok RPM coils explained

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle Simmons

Aug 21, 2019
Even after a year of vaping with salt nicotine I still question using the correct device and coils for what I vape. I've seen the different smok devices and there are so many choices for coils ( rpm and Nord). I've been looking at the smok Nord 2 and just would like to get some feed back on which coils would be best with 30 mg salt nicotine, the site is kind of confusing on which ones are best.

Thank you

Reactions: stols001

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
The device and coils don't really know whether they're vaporizing salt or freebase, or how much nic is in there. So you don't really select a device based on whether it "works well" with salts.

It really comes down to what you like and your style. If you prefer dtl/mtl, airy/tight, dense/loose, cool/warm. And if you're getting the amount of nicotine you want. The only difference in using salt vs. fb is salt is smoother, so you can tolerate higher nic levels. But it also gets in your bloodstream faster and more efficiently. Salts gained in popularity mostly because of that quick absorption, and the fact that small devices like Juul don't deliver big hits, so a small puff of high nic would satisfy.

So I'd focus on getting the proper feel you want from the vape, and adjust with juice from there.

edit: sorry, I don't really have advice on the coils. Smok does have a ton of choices, and I don't use drop ins anymore. But someone will be able to help with that.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Do you have any experience with the RPM coils? I prefer MTL and a tighter draw. I saw they have a quarts coil a 1.ohm and the .8 ohm. Any recommendations with those? I purchased a voopoo Vinci when that came out and had a horrible experience with the ceramic coils.

Thanks for the insight
No, sorry- I've only had one Smok product: Nord pod. And I didn't buy it, I won it. It was too airy for me. All I know is that generally, lower ohm coils tend to be airier, for dtl, and higher ohm coils more geared to mouth to lung. And for pods, I've found ceramic coils last much longer with my tobacco NET than any coil using cotton. Wish I had more to offer you!

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Do you have any experience with the RPM coils? I prefer MTL and a tighter draw. I saw they have a quarts coil a 1.ohm and the .8 ohm. Any recommendations with those? I purchased a voopoo Vinci when that came out and had a horrible experience with the ceramic coils.

Thanks for the insight
get yourself the Kroma R+Zlide kit, you will love the MTL draw on that one ;) Airflow adjustment is very important if you are searching for a device, Nord and the Vinci etc won't have airflow adjustment.

NORMLghost

May 26, 2020
Even after a year of vaping with salt nicotine I still question using the correct device and coils for what I vape. I've seen the different smok devices and there are so many choices for coils ( rpm and Nord). I've been looking at the smok Nord 2 and just would like to get some feed back on which coils would be best with 30 mg salt nicotine, the site is kind of confusing on which ones are best.

Thank you

Hey there,
Ceramic and quartz are generally for concentrates. MTL is the way I vape now and I have found the rpm .3 is great compared to others.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think in general, depending on airflow, a higher ohm coil should give a more restricted vape and produce less vapor per puff than a lower ohm coil. But I know so little about pods, and their various adjustability and whatnot, and I don't do pods, so you might find the difference very startling, or very not. In general I guess my advice would be try all the coils (you don't have to wait for each one to die you can seal it in a small plastic bag, after soaking it in vodka and rinsing with water after it dries, to reuse) before you commit to more than one of every coil. If that is at all practical for you.

It just also takes time and experimentation to find the right setup for you. I hear great things about the Zilde too, as far as more MTL and I can certainly agree the zilde coils (also used in the Zenith MTL tank and other iterations) have some great options and make for a great ape. Good luck!

Anna

Reactions: Izan

gsmit1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2018
If you're looking for true mtl restriction with factory coils, a stick pod is really your only choice and many of them are loose mtl to rdtl. Any of the Smok Novo/Nord types are rdtl regardless of what they're advertised as. Anything that takes Nord/RPM coils is rdtl for sure.

I have an Infinix, which I love, but even that is pretty loose for a mtl device. I rebuild the pods though. Much better.

I'm not an expert on pods, but in general mtl doesn't REALLY mean cigarette like restriction in most cases. If that's what you're looking for, do a good bit of research before buying anything.

IMHO, the best bet is a true mtl rta and a single battery mod. But then you'd have to coil and wick it yourself. Which also has a ton of advantages, but I do understand why folks want the convenience of drop in coils too.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread