Smok TFV4 Sub Ohm Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

NGGrant

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2015
Richmond VA
It's there, but that doesn't mean it isn't pinched. I hadn't really thought about that one. Maybe I'll just replace it and see. I swear, I've had this thing leak out of every hole. I've probably lost more juice then I vaped.
The only time mine leak (mini and regular) is when that chimney isn't screwed down enough into coil

footbag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
NEPA
The only time mine leak (mini and regular) is when that chimney isn't screwed down enough into coil

I opened it up and the O-ring seems fine. I also cannot tighten it down any further. How many turns does it take for you to tighten the bottom onto the top section? For me, it seems like it's only a couple turns. That seems like too little.

Stinkytofus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New York City
Well it looks like my oring maybe melted to the glass in the base of the tank? I cant get the glass separated from the glass and I can't unscrew the base with the coil in it. Yay. Any suggestions? I tried freezing it for like 15 minutes but no luck. I would imagine heating it would be better?
give it a alcochol bathe or water bathe for a 5-10 mins and try taking it apart, if you use too much force it will crack

plandun

Oct 4, 2015
How long does everyone's coils last on the tfv4? I've had my quad coil in for just over 2 weeks and it's still going good. Does it depend on the coil you're using? Tastes real good and when I change juice I just rinse out the old juice from the wick if I haven't vaped most of it first and then blow dry the coil a little and the rejuice it and keep going with it. I haven't had this tank for too long but still using the quad coil since I got my ipv3 li and no breakdown of the coil as of yet. Saw some complaints on coil life already, Just figured I would see how the rest are doing.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Jeremy Schreiber

May 27, 2015
give it a alcochol bathe or water bathe for a 5-10 mins and try taking it apart, if you use too much force it will crack

Thanks. I'm going to give the water a try - does it matter if it is hot or cold? Also, I'm surprised how much force the glass is taking without breaking. Then again, that's showing how stuck the glass and base is.

Mike Abrams

Account closed on request
Sep 21, 2015
New England
Thanks. I'm going to give the water a try - does it matter if it is hot or cold? Also, I'm surprised how much force the glass is taking without breaking. Then again, that's showing how stuck the glass and base is.

Just had the same issue...... I used alcohol, and after 15 minutes, nothing doing. But after another 15 minutes, it budged, and I was able to get it open. I held the base and the top with a rag, and very gently twisted the base.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
I just picked up the new Clapton RBA head and have been trying to get titanium to work right. No matter what I do, they're hitting temp protection on my Reuleaux RX200 almost instantly. Currently using 24ga titanium gr1 from unkamen supplies, 9 wraps spaced 3mm id at 45w and 600*.

Anyone have a tip for this tank to have a solid connection or should I give up on TC in this one and stick to my Aromamizer?

vapeNoob4

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2015
^ That's a good question, I would attempt to change the settings to see what works best on your mod. Or you can measure your coil resistance and see what's the appropriate range for your mod. Your resistance may be messing the whole thing up if your rebuildable section is not that heavily wrapped. Kind of unclear on your explanation whether or not your building the setup or using the prebuilt coils.

My TFV4 is waiting at the post office for pickup. Will probably pick it up next week as the vendor sent it delivery confirmation signed through USPS. I'm really hoping I like the new TFV4 and it doesn't leak on me. The crown I have will leak through the base and make the lower airflow control ring moist with juice. I like how the TFV4 has the threading on the coil head for the mod to screw together. Seems to be a bit superior to the crown because the crown can unscrew at midpoint during filling if you can't get the top cap off to refill the tank. Am also somewhat stoked to see what drip tips fit into the TFV4 as I have a neat collection to change up the appearance. The one thing I don't like about the crown is that there's a bevel on the top cap allowing only certain drip tips where the TFV4 has a flat top with no bevel. Anyways happy new year 2016. =)

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
^ That's a good question, I would attempt to change the settings to see what works best on your mod. Or you can measure your coil resistance and see what's the appropriate range for your mod. Your resistance may be messing the whole thing up if your rebuildable section is not that heavily wrapped. Kind of unclear on your explanation whether or not your building the setup or using the prebuilt coils.

My TFV4 is waiting at the post office for pickup. Will probably pick it up next week as the vendor sent it delivery confirmation signed through USPS. I'm really hoping I like the new TFV4 and it doesn't leak on me. The crown I have will leak through the base and make the lower airflow control ring moist with juice. I like how the TFV4 has the threading on the coil head for the mod to screw together. Seems to be a bit superior to the crown because the crown can unscrew at midpoint during filling if you can't get the top cap off to refill the tank. Am also somewhat stoked to see what drip tips fit into the TFV4 as I have a neat collection to change up the appearance. The one thing I don't like about the crown is that there's a bevel on the top cap allowing only certain drip tips where the TFV4 has a flat top with no bevel. Anyways happy new year 2016. =)
I'm using the TF-RCA rebuildable head. I made a 24ga titanium coil myself and put it in. I had also made a fused Clapton with 26ga titanium and nichrome wrap.

I am thinking the temp control isn't working right because of the connection of the coil head to the 510 pin inside the deck. Seems it's not getting a solid connection. I might try the build on one of my drippers or my Aromamizer tank to test the theory.

vapeNoob4

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2015
That's a interesting theory to test. I don't know exactly why the RCA has a 4-screw design. Maybe you could flip the build 180 degrees around and use the other set of posts to test the build. I know on the product page it describes the TC settings and regulated ohm acceptable levels. You've probably have tried that though.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
That's a interesting theory to test. I don't know exactly why the RCA has a 4-screw design. Maybe you could flip the build 180 degrees around and use the other set of posts to test the build. I know on the product page it describes the TC settings and regulated ohm acceptable levels. You've probably have tried that though.
The screws are fine. I'm talking about the bottom of the coil head that makes contact inside the base to the 510 pin. I've heard of other tanks having similar problems in the past.

Not my picture but where these make contact
100274CE-8E0A-4E28-8F11-5EE3AF3A39B9.jpg

Edit: just read up on the Reuleaux rx200 thread and apparently a lot of the TC problems are coming from lower quality 510s. Looks like I may have to upgrade it soon.

Last edited:

vapeNoob4

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2015
Well I just received in the mail my new black smok TFV4 with 5 replacement coil heads for TC Ni with the quad air holes. The thing looks mint. Cleaned it once and threw in some FroYo flavor at 18 mg. Couldn't be happier, fills fine. Design is better than the crown imo. Now I have a Sigelei 150 TC, two tanks, vape bag and lots of juice to blow through. This was my 2015 Christmas present to myself the new TFV4. Just awesome!

plandun

Oct 4, 2015
The screws are fine. I'm talking about the bottom of the coil head that makes contact inside the base to the 510 pin. I've heard of other tanks having similar problems in the past.

Not my picture but where these make contact
100274CE-8E0A-4E28-8F11-5EE3AF3A39B9.jpg

Edit: just read up on the Reuleaux rx200 thread and apparently a lot of the TC problems are coming from lower quality 510s. Looks like I may have to upgrade it soon.
So your saying the bottom pin isn't making contact with the bottom of the coil right?

I had the same problem with one of my aspire nautilus setups and pulled the pin out and roughed it up and heated it up and put a blob of solder on it and then filed the solder off of the sides of the pin to the same profile and then filed the top flat and put it back together. Never had anymore problems with the nautilus pin making contact with the coil again. Same thing in this case or you could probably find a taller pin that will work with the TFV4.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

coilburner

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2015
Well I just picked up a tfv4 and I have to say Im not impressed, not ever really happy. The amount of vapor its producing isn't much more than my subtank mini with a Clapton coil at 45 watts. I have tried both the .2 triple coil and the vertical 4 coil head. I have tried all different watts up to 120 and the vapors not what I have seen from others. I have tried every combination of air holes, both the base and drip tip. Even when the vapor gets to a decent amount the experience isn't the most pleasurable, and its not because of a too hot vape. I mean Im not a ..... and I know what Im doing so I cant imagine something's wrong, with either the tank or me. I swear when I tried a friends tfv4 with the triple coil that comes with it I got much better clouds. What watts and air flow settings are you guys using that are happy with the vapor production?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread