Smok TFV4 Sub Ohm Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggin MooSe

Nov 24, 2015
80w quad coil 70/30 juice on a xcube 2. Considerably out fogs STM and competes with a twisted messes RDA for foggin up a room. I find power to be dependent upon ambient temperature but in general the vape just increases in heat above 100w without significantly more cloud than at 80w.
I've temporarily stopped using mine as I'm abroad and only have some local fruit juices that wreck the coils. RBA is fine though.
I do find the juice selection to be important to the performance of this tank.

coilburner

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2015
80w quad coil 70/30 juice on a xcube 2. Considerably out fogs STM and competes with a twisted messes RDA for foggin up a room. I find power to be dependent upon ambient temperature but in general the vape just increases in heat above 100w without significantly more cloud than at 80w.
I've temporarily stopped using mine as I'm abroad and only have some local fruit juices that wreck the coils. RBA is fine though.
I do find the juice selection to be important to the performance of this tank.
Glad Im a man if being abroad means you have less juice selection, oh wait never mind;). thanks for the info. Ill have to give that a try when my batteries finish charging. one thing for sure is this tank gets VERY hot very quickly.

vapeNoob4

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2015
Well I just picked up a tfv4 and I have to say Im not impressed, not ever really happy.

The TFV4 in my opinion needs high power to work properly. It's legs only start running when you're at higher watts or power on a regulated high-output device. That's at least what I have noticed. I use a sigelei 150 tc and I use TC mode with a high joule output. The clouds are pretty good, but you always need to balance your coils, juice and nicotine content for happiness.

greasegizzard

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2015
Arkansas
I'm pretty new to building coils, but I want to try something besides the standard horizontal. I only have the single rba right now. I've tried the vertical builds, and really like them. I was thinking of trying a stovetop coil, but don't know how I would wick it. Anyone have any ideas? Suggestions for other styles? I prefer flavor over clouds, or flavor and clouds.

coilburner

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2015
The TFV4 in my opinion needs high power to work properly. It's legs only start running when you're at higher watts or power on a regulated high-output device. That's at least what I have noticed. I use a sigelei 150 tc and I use TC mode with a high joule output. The clouds are pretty good, but you always need to balance your coils, juice and nicotine content for happiness.
I tried the tf-q4 coil, one of the ones that comes with it, at 110watts and Im much happier.
I'm pretty new to building coils, but I want to try something besides the standard horizontal. I only have the single rba right now. I've tried the vertical builds, and really like them. I was thinking of trying a stovetop coil, but don't know how I would wick it. Anyone have any ideas? Suggestions for other styles? I prefer flavor over clouds, or flavor and clouds.
Your talking about the RBA that it comes with? I would just put the cotton on top of coil draping over each side to the juice channels but those coils might just suck on RTAs. RTAs, to my knowledge, are meant for your standard wrap coil.

greasegizzard

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2015
Arkansas
I can wick the standard horizontal and the vertical petty good. I just tried the stove top. I need to play with it some more. I tried it with 24awg and it came out to .49 ohms, but I don't like the wicking. Plus, the flat part is angled down, and I think it needs to be angled up, or straight at the very least. I may try it out of 22awg so I can get a little more surface area.

coilburner

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2015
What's your tank of choice at the moment?
kanger subtank mini with an atom Clapton coil. At 45 watts Im getting a little less vapor production than with the tfv4 at 100 watts. Also for some reason Im getting about 4 hours vaping per tank with the subtank and atom Clapton coil and about about 30 minutes with the tfvf and the tfv4 has a bigger tank. I think my issue with the smok tank is that to get any decent vapor you need the airflow wide open and my lungs just aren't use to so much air flow, not sure if they ever will be.

Last edited:

Arcticsteam

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2013
So Cal
Both of my TFV4's leak more than the exxon valdez, no matter what coil or what I do. Quite furious about that, returned to my trusty Arctic, then tried out the phantom which is a awesome tank, imo esp for filling, and the recycle system works well(no dripping everywhere when you turn it upside down like the Cyclone), now waiting for the Arctic V8 to arrive, and waiting for the Uwell Rafale to be released. So far out of all the tanks I've had. The Arctic/Phantom are the best, followed by the Crown.

vapeNoob4

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2015
So far out of all the tanks I've had. The Arctic/Phantom are the best, followed by the Crown.
The phantom tank is one of the most interesting things I've seen lately. Thanks for mentioning that. Does it fill slow? I've seen some reviews but it's interesting how the unit is pretty asymmetrical.

vapeNoob4

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2015
Recently swapped out a TFV4 TF-N2 Air for a TF-T3 that came with the kit. Here's the tear apart on the TF-N2 after a few weeks of use:

Coil_Head.jpg

Coil_Wire_Pulled_Out.jpg

Coil_Wire_Close_Up_jpg.jpg

One of the things I noticed is that the cotton in this coil system basically disintegrated and turned into a flakey cake like fleck. Sort of like a dense paste. I've never seen cotton do this in any RDA units I've used. Typically in a RDA the cotton is still holding it's filament form even though it's saturated. This stuff just basically turned to sand-like dirt in small particles like that. Anyhow the vape still worked fine up until the coil change so the cotton's physical state may not be that important considering the whole thing was still firing fine.

Arcticsteam

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2013
So Cal
The phantom tank is one of the most interesting things I've seen lately. Thanks for mentioning that. Does it fill slow? I've seen some reviews but it's interesting how the unit is pretty asymmetrical.

The side fill works great, no weird tricks to keep from leaking just open the valve. It can fill slow esp when nearly full due to air pockets. The condensate recycling system works great, and theres inlets on the coil specifically for it.

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
Recently swapped out a TFV4 TF-N2 Air for a TF-T3 that came with the kit. Here's the tear apart on the TF-N2 after a few weeks of use:

Coil_Head.jpg

Coil_Wire_Pulled_Out.jpg

Coil_Wire_Close_Up_jpg.jpg

One of the things I noticed is that the cotton in this coil system basically disintegrated and turned into a flakey cake like fleck. Sort of like a dense paste. I've never seen cotton do this in any RDA units I've used. Typically in a RDA the cotton is still holding it's filament form even though it's saturated. This stuff just basically turned to sand-like dirt in small particles like that. Anyhow the vape still worked fine up until the coil change so the cotton's physical state may not be that important considering the whole thing was still firing fine.
Still though, it looks yuck...I've never seen this either.

vapeNoob4

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2015
Since owning the TFV4 I've been using and buying their pre-built coils. Recently I've found that the coils do not last as long as the crown tank coils. So, went to the store and picked up some wire and wick down the street for the TF-R1. With the rebuildable I'm able to get as much cloud production on 1/3 of the power compared to the pre-built coils. The pre-built coils have marginally better flavor, but contain a odd cotton material that degrades fast. The crown tank coils use layered cotton squares which seem to work better and last longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: greasegizzard
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread