SMOK V8 Coil Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
A lot of direct output sticks and mods that have wattage max use PMW. It automatcally reads the voltage of the battery and resistance and limits the output to the max by reducing voltage. Once the voltage on the battery doesn't no longer reach the max wattage PMW no longer is activated and the device carries on as a normal direct output device decreasing in power as the voltage decreases. Some manufacturers will set the max at a level with along with the resistance of the coils provided means PMW will always be active so even though it's a direct output device it gives constant output throughout.

Reactions: mattrix

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
A lot of direct output sticks and mods that have wattage max use PMW... It automatcally reads...along with the resistance of the coils provided means PMW will always be active....
you mean PWM ? "Pulse Width Modulation" ? Do you happen to know how the mod decides how much watts to send to a specific coil? When there are 2 different M2 coils packaged with the kit, with 0.15 and 0.25ohms, and both are recommended/said to have the same wattage range, how does the mod decide to power these coils?

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
you mean PWM ? "Pulse Width Modulation" ? Do you happen to know how the mod decides how much watts to send to a specific coil? When there are 2 different M2 coils packaged with the kit, with 0.15 and 0.25ohms, and both are recommended/said to have the same wattage range, how does the mod decide to power these coils?
so with fresh battery and let's say the device had an 80w max with the 0.15 coil without PMW kicking in that would be giving well over 80w so PMW reduces the voltage to the coil by calculation to keep it at 80w, when the voltage given by the battery gets to a level where 80w no longer is reached then the device acts as a direct output device. The 0.25 coil at 4.2v wouldn't be giving 80w or more so with this coil the device would behave as a direct output device throughout. When it comes to implementation and the real tech stuff others could explain it better.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
I never had a Smok device fail, over the last years. One of the R80 had much reduced autonomy, but was after one year of intense use.
I have two complains with Smok mods, both internal and external type..
The first, is the low efficiency when compared to the market average. In simple words, they waste too much battery power, and this become too evident with 0.15 Ohm coils.
The Smok mods work like a dream with the popular 0.4 Ohm coils, I cannot understand why they include a 0.15 Ohm coil with single battery mods.
The last year models have been revised, they have better efficiency and precision, but that only happened after the introduction of curved band heaters (mesh coils), which cannot have higher resistance.
My other complaint is their TC, their mods do not display current temperature, just the set temperature, and do not works well over the entire temperature range.
In simple words, Smok mods don't do TC well, and I haven't seen much improvement on that.

• Agree
Reactions: Tim Wiseman

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
For what its worth,
DJLsb has some figures for the resin version of the Smok Stick in his review.
According to these,

a 0.15 ohm coil:
will be provided between 78 and 91 watts, with a full battery and
will be provided between 62 and 78 watts, with a weak battery.
(Note: it appears weak was greater than 3.72V; I estimate it was about 3.78V)

So I do not know what the 25-45 watt range for the 0.15 M-coil is all about.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tailland

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
So I do not know what the 25-45 watt range for the 0.15 M-coil is all about.
Come to think of it.. where does this number come from anyway? It's not listed as such on Smok's website...

Anyway, assuming that Daniel's numbers are correct, powering the T12 is no problem. Enjoy the vape.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread