Smok X-Priv first time user, need help with airflow setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrtorres007

Sep 6, 2018
Hello everybody, I am new member here. I am trying to learn something new about how airflow works. I have been vaping since several years and never bother using airflow till my brother explains to me how airflow works. I got some questions to ask if that's alright with everyone. I recently purchased smok X-Priv and very enjoy using it. I am not sure how exactly airflow works. I am aware that more flavor means less airflow; more cloud means more airflow. I am more of preferring flavor. How much percentage should I open airflow at? Should I put it as 25% or 50%. what wattage do you tend to put on? Mine is 60 wattage. Great feedback will be helpful for me. Many thanks.

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm not sure that those questions can be answered specifically. I think what is important to ask you is what type of tank you are using? Is it a MTL (mouth to lung) or DTL (direct lung) tank?

I believe all of the SMOK tanks are sub-ohm DTL, so they are designed to have maximum air draw and maximum vapor production. They are known more for being cloud chasing tanks, not so much for flavor makers. I don't believe anyone can say you should have airflow at 25% or 50% or 100%. That is a personal preference that only you can decide upon.

The same holds true for wattage setting. The recommended wattage setting for any particular coil used is usually imprinted on the coil or in the user's manual, but that is merely a recommendation and is not written in stone. Experiment through trial and error, with different wattage settings on the mod and different airflow adjustments on the tank to see what YOU prefer.

I would guess, in general, that the lower the ohms of the coils and the higher the wattage set, the more wide open the air control should be. But that's just my guess.

Over the years, I have found that "my sweet spot" is 30 watts, usually with a 0.5 ohm coil. I play around with the air control on the tanks that I use, depending upon my mood and what type of draw I want at any particular time. I converted from being a low wattage MTL vaper a few years ago to a mid-range wattage DTL vaper. That's not to say that you would like that.

We all learn through trial and error to find what works best for us. Maybe that doesn't help answer your queston, but maybe it does.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I would really concur with just playing around with your airflow. I suppose technically more air would (potentially) lead to more clouds, less flavor, just potentially not though, either. Some atomizers I just feel function better wide open and I actually get the sensation of LESS flavor closed down, because there is less (or denser but still less) vape. It is totally subjective, totally varies between atomizers, and pretty consistent (for me) with a given atomizer. So play around and see what you prefer.

The step after that would be driptips, I guess. A longer narrower driptip may concentrate the flavor, it may also lead to needing less wattage and etc., but I don't want to get all confusing you. For the longest time I thought the Nautilus 2 drip tip was just the bees knees, because it was FAMILIAR but now I experiment with driptips too....

So just start playing around without too many preconceived notions about it though, is my point.

Anna

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Im my experience so far, i have never had diminished flavor associated with more clouds. In fact, i get more flavor with more clouds. As far as any particular airflow, that depends on the type of tank or atty im using. On my bravo rta, it is wide open. The rdta i use, i choke it off a little and the dead rabbit rda, i close it off slightly as well. When i was using smok tanks, the tfv 8 i would open it up fully, and the tfv 12 i would close it off a bit. Its all in what you like and you learn to tweak it to get what you like.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I like my draws airy I've been an rda user for a while now, and i run them all fully opened as i like an airy draw if that makes sense.

Both my drop and recurve are mid airflow (at least they seem to be) i mostly position my coils so air goes under and above, that way i get a nice cool vape which imo is ideal for fruity flavors.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Welcome to ECF @jcrtorres007

@Baditude pretty much nailed it with his response along with the great advice from others. But just like to add that air flow and power does not have to be set in stone once you find what you like. This can also be adjusted based on the juice you are vaping. Menthol flavours for example – you may like a little more airflow and less power to tone down a potent menthol flavour…or any flavour for that matter. Or the opposite to bring out more flavour from other juices.

And try out the different coils Smok has to offer for that tank – there is quite the selection and you may find that you enjoy one particular model of coil over others. Experiment, have fun and remember – the best setting is not what I or others prefer, but what pleases YOU the most.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread