Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Why I say the article is heavily weighted against E-cigs

Naturally the author (the Editor) couldn't (for fear of retaliation) publish an article that is simply Pro E-cigarettes.

The author could have used any number of sources to make a so-called "balanced" article. However, he chose to give the illusion of balance by giving "space" for user comments and a “muzzled” marketer…but when it came down to "balancing" the truth with the opposition...

Keith Howard, program coordinator for Campbell County tobacco Prevention, warned in a letter to the editor in November that e-cigarettes are not FDA approved for tobacco cessation and should not be considered to be a safe alternative to smoking cigarettes.

The author couldn’t stop there…and decided to include in the article alarmist scare tactics pointing out specific health risks to scare off anyone from thinking about trying an E-cigarette.

“Companies producing the product have attempted to market them as a harm reduction tool though FDA research has shown these products to carry many of the same cancer causing carcinogens present in their tobacco based counterparts,” Howard wrote. “The FDA specifically warned that e-cigarette use poses ‘acute health risks,’ and that ‘dangers are posed by their toxic chemicals.’ The FDA went on to say that such products have caused a wide variety of potentially serious symptoms ‘including racing pulse, dizziness, slurred speech, mouth ulcers, heartburn, coughing, ........, and sore throat.’”

Despite warnings and the potential health risks, many people are trying to quit smoking using e-cigarettes.

To me this article reads..."Johnny" using mostly will power and a little help from a new toy has stopped smoking. The biggest misconception I see is that electronic cigarettes are better for you.

A marketer for the new toy is not allowed to talk about health benefits.

The truth is E-cigarettes are Dangerous...Who are you going to believe…
“Johnny”, the marketer who is not allowed to talk or the Program Coordinator for Campbell County Tobacco Prevention…who Warned the Editor that E-cigarettes are dangerous…

Maybe all the above is just a Rant?!

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
I just spoke to Mr. Howard. He was not as receptive as others I've spoken to, but he wasn't completely out in left field. He agreed that, if the carcinogens are equivalent to the patch, it would be inappropriate to continue to make that claim. However, he takes the position that nicotine is harmful, deadly drug, and says that he has studies to prove it. I asked him to send them to me in response to my below e-mail. Additionally, he declined to concur with my argument that 98% of tobacco-related deaths stem from inhaling burnt substances, and also would not agree that e-cigarettes are safer than cigarettes, in part because there are no manufacturing standards for the product.

When I explained that the FDA has consistently refused to regulate the product as a tobacco product, and that a classification as a 'drug delivery device' would result in the product being banned for a period of time, he laughed and said I was starting to sound like a conspiracy theorist.

He is bound by the rules of Wyoming's tobacco control program, and can't recommend the e-cigarette as a cessation aid, but I hope that he will not bad mouth the product in the future.

Mr. Howard,

Nice speaking to you today, despite our disagreements.

I've attached a recently published article by Dr. Michael Siegel, a public health policy professor at Boston University with over 20 years of experience in tobacco control, in the Journal of Public Health Policy. It outlines the results of all known tests on the e-cigarette, and in doing so dispels some of the myths and misinformation that has been presented about the e-cigarette, including the carcinogen claim. It's an excellent and concise article.

Considering that the best the FDA can come up with is accusations that the product causes "racing pulse, dizziness, slurred speech, mouth ulcers, heartburn, coughing, ........, and sore throat," I fail to see why you will not be able to conclude that e-cigarettes are almost certainly safer than cigarettes, which of course cause cancer, emphysema, heart disease, COPD, and death. I remind you that despite e-cigarettes being on the market for seven years, and the FDA being involved in a suit with e-cigarette companies, the FDA has not managed to find a single person that claims to have suffered harm from an e-cigarette.

On the phone you expressed surprise at my "conspiratorial" beliefs about the FDA's attempted regulation of the e-cigarette. I again take issue with this characterization. As I stated on the phone, the FDA has steadfastly refused to regulate the e-cigarette as a tobacco product despite the DC District Court and DC Court of Appeals ruling that because the nicotine in an e-cigarette is "derived from tobacco" (the actual phrase used in the legislation giving FDA regulatory authority over tobacco products, but not the power to ban them) it cannot be classified as a "drug delivery device." If the FDA was to win their case, and thus have the authority to regulate the product as a drug delivery device, a de facto ban would be in place until approval was received. In the meantime, people like me who have found an alternative to tobacco smoking will either have to become criminals and buy the product illegally, switch to a traditional smoking cessation aid (with their pitifully low success rates after 20 months), or, most likely, go back to smoking cigarettes. There is no conspiracy. These are the facts.

I understand that your hands are tied regarding the ability to recommend the e-cigarette as a cessation tool. I understand that. However, in the future, please do not be so dismissive of the product as a reduced harm smoking aid. There are still millions of smokers left in the United States, and hundreds of thousands die needlessly each year. The e-cigarette, for the first time in the history of tobacco control, is a product that satisfies the hand-to-mouth-to-"smoke" habit without exposing users to thousands of carcinogens in a single cigarette.

I look forward to reading your evidence.

Thanks

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I just spoke to Mr. Howard. He was not as receptive as others I've spoken to, but he wasn't completely out in left field. He agreed that, if the carcinogens are equivalent to the patch, it would be inappropriate to continue to make that claim. However, he takes the position that nicotine is harmful, deadly drug, and says that he has studies to prove it. I asked him to send them to me in response to my below e-mail. Additionally, he declined to concur with my argument that 98% of tobacco-related deaths stem from inhaling burnt substances, and also would not agree that e-cigarettes are safer than cigarettes, in part because there are no manufacturing standards for the product.

When I explained that the FDA has consistently refused to regulate the product as a tobacco product, and that a classification as a 'drug delivery device' would result in the product being banned for a period of time, he laughed and said I was starting to sound like a conspiracy theorist.

He is bound by the rules of Wyoming's tobacco control program, and can't recommend the e-cigarette as a cessation aid, but I hope that he will not bad mouth the product in the future.

KUDOS for your effort

It appears that Mr. Howard is walking-talking proof that
You Can't Fix Stupid

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I thought this news article was better than most, and the comments made by dissenters damaged their credibility.

I don't understand. I can only see 2 comments - one an excellent comment by Elaine (Vocalek) and another that simply takes issue that the article didn't clarify the "carcinogens" found were the same as the patch? What was said that "damaged their credibilty?"

Or are your referring to dissenters IN the article - like Keith Howard?

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Kristin asked:
Or are your referring to dissenters IN the article - like Keith Howard?

Yes

Also, please note that the vast majority of online/newspaper readers only read the headline titles of most articles, and most readers of articles only read the first several paragraphs.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Also, please note that the vast majority of online/newspaper readers only read the headline titles of most articles, and most readers of articles only read the first several paragraphs.

What you say is true with most Americans. However, I'm sure you
also have friends and associates around the world and know this
observation doesn't apply equally to those living in other countries.

I remember working with a Russian (most can read English and speak more
than 1 language) a couple of years ago putting together an on-line publication
and I suggested a short overview introduction. He quickly pointed out to
me that it would not be well accepted in Russia because limited text
devalues the subject. More information the better!

Similar experiences with other friends around the world.

Back to Americans…Even if 70% skim over and don’t read entire
articles…that means 30% will. So if an article is viewed by 200
then at least 60 will read the entire article and look at viewer comments.

Our posts and the articles we point to are read my many around the world,
as recently pointed out by a fellow list member in Australia. Right, Mate?!

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Hmmm.... If nicotine is such a dangerous drug, why did the FDA hold a 2-day workshop on long-term use of NRTs?

Links to downloads of each of the presentations can be found here: Presentations

Dr. Neal Benowitz is recognized as a world expert on the topic of nicotine safety. He edited the book, Nicotine Safety and and Toxicity (Oxford University Press, 1998). A direct link to his presenation: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/NewsEvents/UCM232147.pdf

Based on meta-analysis of all research on nicotine safety, he concludes that there is no evidence that nicotine causes or promotes cancer, that although it may slightly increase risks of MI and stroke (over non-users) the risks are far lower than the risks from smoking, and that nicotine likely does have some adverse effects on reproduction.

I don't doubt that Howard will be able to send you research claiming nicotine harm beyond the pregnancy issue. There are some researchers that consistently proclaim conclusions that are not supported by their data, or who "cherry pick" their data.

The bottom line is that there are 46 million American adult smokers, 70% of whom want to quit, and most have tried and failed and tried and failed numerous times.

The study by Prof. Carl V. Phillips, published in the Harm Reduction Journal, shows that for most smokers, immediately switching to a low-risk alternative will lower their risk of dying from their habit more than quitting entirely after one more month of smoking, even if they use the smoke-free product for the rest of their lives. Harm Reduction Journal | Full text | Debunking the claim that abstinence is usually healthier for smokers than switching to a low-risk alternative, and other observations about anti-tobacco-harm-reduction arguments

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
The bottom line is that there are 46 million American adult smokers, 70% of whom want to quit, and most have tried and failed and tried and failed numerous times.

I've been thinking about this a lot. Of the 70% who "want to quit," how many really want to quit exposing themselves to health risks, but do not really want give up nicotine or their hand/mouth habit? Based on how many people have switched to e-cigarettes that "had no intention of quitting" I would say the number is substantial. Many don't want to continue to expose themselves to the great health risks of smoking, but enjoy smoking sensations or find benefits from it - whether it be from nicotine, tobacco alkaloids or a comforting routine/habit.

Many smokers don't really want to quit, they just don't want to get sick and die. But, unlike an obese person who can reduce risks with low-fat alternatives to their favorite foods, smokers had no pleasant or satisfying alternatives - it was quit or die. E-cigarettes and smokeless tobacco can change all of that.

Last edited:

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Thanks for this info Elaine. I forwarded it over to him, with the note that if e-cigarettes are a poor NRT because they don't delivery nicotine efficiently (as he said during our convo), then lifetime use of nicotine gum must be considerably more dangerous than lifetime use of an e-cigarette.

You don't give up easily! KUDOS

You could be the Jedi Knight who will turn him away from "Dark Side"...
May the Force be with you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread