• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Smoketech tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

pffpffpass

Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Toronto Canada
I grabbed one of the smoktek tanks and on a standard EGO battery, it isn't very satisfying. For me at least. They seem to come with dual coil 3.0 ohm cartomizers which for some reason means you have a total resistance of 1.5 ohms. Which should be good on an Ego but the vape is so cool, not much flavor, very unsatisfying. If you got a single LR coil cartomizer for it, you would be better off.... (though I haven't tried it yet) but i'm sure someone else will chime in on this one.

Oh, and the phiniac tank seems to be a thicker plastic so if its stuck in your pocket, that might be a better option. But then again, you have the cartomizer "issue" to look at too .....

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
A Phiniac tank might not be suitable for outside work they are made of pyrex. Large tanks don't work really well on Ego batts but the smaller ones do, however I think you want something to last all day. Perhaps try the clearomizer tanks built to go on Egos? You could carry two if necessary to carry you all day long. A guy I know who does landscaping uses them to good advantage each day.

fourtytwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
Toronto
A Phiniac tank might not be suitable for outside work they are made of pyrex. Large tanks don't work really well on Ego batts but the smaller ones do, however I think you want something to last all day. Perhaps try the clearomizer tanks built to go on Egos? You could carry two if necessary to carry you all day long. A guy I know who does landscaping uses them to good advantage each day.

I would have to agree. The eGo is kinda small and thin for such a relatively heavy tank.
One of the reasons I carry eGos when I go out is the size. Having a big heavy nob of a tank, no matter how pretty, kinda defeats the purpose.

ChellyNelly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
The Phiniac would be fine for outside work. Have you watched the vids on their website? You can chuck the damn thing at concrete and it won't even chip. I have one, I've dropped it on concrete more times than I can count and there's not even a mark on it.

Now, the Smoktech tanks I would NOT recommend for outdoor work because they're very "slidey". I won't use them, they make a mess IMO. I would suggest the Sub tank from Mom & Pop Vapor shop, they have the Mini and Regular sizes. Cheap, and awesome. I mean really awesome. Filling port makes it incredibly easy to top up while you're on the go. Just put a needle top on top of the bottle of juice you're using and bring it along. Pull out the screw, put juice in, put screw back in and vape. Really that easy. These tanks are really fantastic and I think they'd be great when working outside. My boyfriend works outside, marketing door-to-door, so his PV is in his pocket a lot. He loves the Sub tank for it.

As for ce2/3/4/whatevers, the way they're built makes wicking difficult. I personally don't like silica rope wicks unless they're used in a bottom coil system. They just have too much gravity working against them. That juice has to climb all the way up that stupid little wick just for you to get one reasonable vape. You have to tip them constantly, which I can't stand.

Have you tried the Firebird cartos/tank from Canvape yet? They are bottom coils and work amazingly. I would recommend those to you :) Try them and I think you'll thank me later :D

Oriana871

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
Phiniacs are not plastic, they are glass and virtually indestructible. No cracking ever. They are big looking, however due to my 2 bigger mods busting on me I used the Phiniac on my Twist last night and it's really not that bad.

Anyway I'm sure there are plenty alternatives, just wanted to clarify.

PS - if you go with punching cartos to use in a tank, these are a must get!!!:

http://phiniac.com/pid-831/tank-tool.html
http://phiniac.com/pid-832/carto-punch.html

Also available at Clouds of Vapor

They're coming out with glow-in-the-dark tanks soon...

Last edited:

Knotar

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2011
St. Thomas Ontario
There seems to be a trend here with this. People seem to be using single coils in their dct. I myself use boge cartos with my smoktech tank. I have both sizes and the smaller size is almost the same diameter as a ego. If you wanted to go this way and scrap the smoktech cartos (that's my recomendation) then all you have to do is slot a good carto (I'm sure most can agree boge is a no brainier here) with a dremmel, and use them.
Correct me if I am wrong but if you use the boge 45mm then you don't have to alter the tank its self? What I did was just chop a chunk off the bottom of my tank so I can use it with regular size cartos. If you want something like a ce4, but actually works good then check out a ce2 MAP (most angry pirate) tank.

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I haven't done this, but .. from what I've read the 3.5 ml smoktech will work with the standard 35 mm boge ? Any of the bigger tanks need the xl OR xxl boge ? Healthcabin lists xl and xxl as both 45 mm. I also skimmed a suggestion that using an extended barrel driptip will make up the difference to use the shorter boges with the larger tank.

kingcobra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Canada
I got some of these tanks and a bunch of LR dual coil carts, and I do have a funny story which I don't believe I've told on this forum. So if you look at the carto that comes with the tank you'll see what looks like a white plug in there. So the first one died, and I figured well you push that down in there with your drip tip. Well that didn't go too well, I kept trying to break them in but kept getting toxic burnt fumes from some and with others there was hardly any vapor.

So I wasted several of them and went on another part of the forum and asked some guy what the hell I was doing wrong and he said you're supposed to take those things off before you use them :D It took my lungs a few days to recover from this and I think I vaped more "smoke" than juice.

Now that I know how to use them, I don't really like them, it's not the tanks it's the atties. This thing mutes the taste as I would have expected, with the filler material in there. I've gone back to my trusty 510-t's and it might be a while before I try another carto deal again. I did poke a much bigger hole in it with a nail and that helped but you can drip right into the thing and the taste still isn't very good.

The tank itself worked great though, until the time comes to change the carto and you have to be careful not to have all the juice leak out on the table. If you pull the carto down a bit to the point where you would fill it, you can pour the juice into a bottle and save most of it.

Overall, I can see why so many people drip after I used this.

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
Re the burnt taste. Perhaps the clearo isn't wicking well, it's getting too low or perhaps you're trying to hit it like you smoked a cig, hard and fast. There is a bottom coil one out now I've heard and that might alleviate the problem, but not having used one I don't know.

Myself, as I do not work as you do in construction, I use Phiniac pyrex tanks but on much larger battery mods. I will use the small Smoktech tank on an Ego C Twist VV battery and they work well. The problem with the type of work you do is that there is a large chance that the tank will become a casualty. Phiniacs are indeed lovely and heavy duty, but they are also too heavy, imho, to use on an ego batt.

As to the carto taste, I DIY and I make my juice flavorful enough to defeat that. On the other hand the horizontal coil Kanger cartos have no bad filler taste to me, and that is with some of my older 'bought' juice which is not as loaded as my DIY is.

YMMV

Last edited:

ChellyNelly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
I got some of these tanks and a bunch of LR dual coil carts, and I do have a funny story which I don't believe I've told on this forum. So if you look at the carto that comes with the tank you'll see what looks like a white plug in there. So the first one died, and I figured well you push that down in there with your drip tip. Well that didn't go too well, I kept trying to break them in but kept getting toxic burnt fumes from some and with others there was hardly any vapor.

So I wasted several of them and went on another part of the forum and asked some guy what the hell I was doing wrong and he said you're supposed to take those things off before you use them :D It took my lungs a few days to recover from this and I think I vaped more "smoke" than juice.

Now that I know how to use them, I don't really like them, it's not the tanks it's the atties. This thing mutes the taste as I would have expected, with the filler material in there. I've gone back to my trusty 510-t's and it might be a while before I try another carto deal again. I did poke a much bigger hole in it with a nail and that helped but you can drip right into the thing and the taste still isn't very good.

The tank itself worked great though, until the time comes to change the carto and you have to be careful not to have all the juice leak out on the table. If you pull the carto down a bit to the point where you would fill it, you can pour the juice into a bottle and save most of it.

Overall, I can see why so many people drip after I used this.

What carto did you try? Some are awesome and some suck ;) lol. As well, the easiest way to change the carto when you have liquid still in the tank is to syringe the remaining liquid out, no mess that way :) What device were you using the dual coil cartos on? Because some devices will not be able to properly handle a dual coil and will down-regulate the voltage. That could be why the flavour was bad.

Sucks that you couldn't get into tanks, I'm a tank fanatic :D But whatever works for you is the best thing :)

WolfeReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2011
Wolfe Paradise
If you want to get the 510 Aluminum tank (yes even the tip is Aluminum) From Vapor Geek for about $12, then you can swing by Vaporus and grap some 1.3 ohm carts for it (about $2.50) each. Once you put the cart in the tank (which is super easy to fill and pretty much dry hit proof from said filling) and then the tank on your ego you will find that it not only looks good but works great.

Bdbodger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
North Vancouver BC Canada
My problem with them was the 1.7ohm to 2ohm cartos I bought didn't seem to work on my provari but then I tired it at 2.9 or 3 volts and they worked fine so if you use them on an ego at 3.4 volt then IMO you are overworking the battery and they maybe too hot and not wicking fast enough . I also use single coil I no longer believe in dual coil anything . Try at least 2ohm or if you using them on an ego twist use 3ohm single coil if the sell them .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread