Status
Not open for further replies.

Huuwap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2012
Idaho
www.huuwap.me
Alright guys, I'm slightly frustrated here. I hear a lot of good about these cartomizers, and I ordered some back when I still had my Smoktech DC Carto Tank and attempted to use them in it, but I got constant gurgles and major flooding. So I chucked that tank and got an M1A1 Buzz Tank, which works great, but I'm still getting gurgles on the Smoktech Xl cartos. My solution was switching to Boge XL 3ohm cartos since I have a ProVari and can bump up my voltage, and they're freakin' awesome at 5.5v...but man, can they go through some juice. So after using one of those for a week and a half, I decided to give the Smoktech 1.7ohm carto another shot.

NON-STOP GURGLES

I've got two slots in this thing, smaller than the slots I had in the Boge even, and from what I understand slot size shouldn't matter as long as tank pressure is good, which it is. I'm not flooding the carto this time, I haven't had huge juice leakage onto the post and a ton of excess at the top of the filler like I did with the DCCT I had. Does anybody else use Smoktech cartos in their tanks, and do you have problems with gurgles? I dissected one of my cartos at one point, and it looks like the coil sits about halfway up the cartomizer, and there is actually a hole in the center tube right next to the coil. My theory is that juice is seeping in to the air tube from that hole causing my gurgles, but if I make the holes in the carto any smaller, I get dry, scratchy hits or burnt filler. Am I doing something wrong?

dberkham

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2011
Surprise, AZ
I got gurgles with cartos with slots so I started using punched ones, buying my own hole punch from Home Depot, and using a JTank. My cartos are Boge LR cartos. I still get some gurgling once in a while but usually doesn't happen until I've used it a while. Thicker juices create wicking problems, even with two holes punched so I stay away from those juices in tanks. Hope this helps.

sandscards

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2012
Broken Arrow, OK
So far I haven't had any problems with the 1.7 single coil Smok Techs. I use them on my small tank when I take the 3.7 box mod out instead of the VV. I use the 2.0 or 2.5 dual coils for it with a tank. I haven't had any flooding issues at all but I don't punch my own. I get the pre punched with the one hole. I use 70/30 juice and don't have a dry hit problem or flooding. They actually work pretty good. I haven't tried some of the ones with two puched holes or even three punched holes yet. All of mine have just had the one small hole. I don't know how it gets the juice in there with the small hole but I see little air bubbles every time I take a toot. I have used them onlye with the Smok Tech tanks and they have just worked. I would think it has to be the holes or a tank leak.

Sheriff420

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
NC
My first plugged up pretty bad after a couple weeks. My second had constant flooding issues. My third plugged in about 5 days. My fourth has been good for a couple weeks. My fifth (different juice) isn't wicking very well.
I use 60%vg/40%pg and it's pretty harsh as far as wicking on everything except for the big dual coil cartomizers.

I'm going to go with Boge 2.0 and a J-tank like PBusardo uses because he has used a lot of different setups and he really likes this one. He slots his cartomizers before they go in the tank so they can handle his 100% VG juice.

wyetterp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Murrells Inlet, SC
Not sure why, but I just haven't had any luck with ST carto's in my tanks. They always just flood way to easy. I'm guessing it's the filler. No way would I attempt slots & I only use 100%vg. I have to use the smallest punched hole I can make, just to get them to work for a while with out gurgling.

I got to sick of sucking juice. All my st's are in a drawer for reserve. I just use the 3ohm xl boges with a nice size single punched hole.

sandscards

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2012
Broken Arrow, OK
I am only guessing but from looking at my cartos it appears that the Boge cartos are wrapped tighter with more filler. The Smoktech don't seem packed as tightly. This might help the Smoktech flow juice in a tank a little better but also be prone to flooding more easily. Maybe the reason for the small hole. I have an easier time punching the Boge because I get a bigger hole that lets more juice into the tightly packed carto. Sometimes it seems though that there are some production variances and some are tighter than others in both brands.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I started out using the smoktech 1.7 resurrector in my tanks. I did have success but they do flood easily, especially if any air at all is getting in the tank. I tried using the standard length boges but for some reason couldn't get them to wick. I kept at it cause everyone seemed to be having success with them. A few weeks ago I got some of the xxl 3ohm boges (that are long enough to fit in the dctanks) and punched one rather large hole (hammer and screw) and total success. I also switched from the grommet style tanks (sub tank and chibi tank) to the dctank. The past few weeks have been awesome! No flooding, no dry hits, no burnt taste. I've had one carto in a tank for going on three weeks now and it's still working and tasting great.

I now reserve my smoktech cartos and the shorter boges for my bottom feeder.

Huuwap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2012
Idaho
www.huuwap.me
Still rocking my Boges, and I've added a mini-sub tank to the collection. I've had no problems since the switch...totally blaming it on the loose filler. The Smoktechs (IMO) work a lot better as plain old cartos than the Boges do, they can handle slightly thicker juices, but if it's going in a tank it's Boge all the way.

donnah - Have you tried slotting your cartos at all? I use two pretty decently sized holes, which kind of scared me at first after troubles with the Smoktech cartos flooding, but with the Boges I don't have any issues...I could probably put a couple more holes in without having an issue.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
Still rocking my Boges, and I've added a mini-sub tank to the collection. I've had no problems since the switch...totally blaming it on the loose filler. The Smoktechs (IMO) work a lot better as plain old cartos than the Boges do, they can handle slightly thicker juices, but if it's going in a tank it's Boge all the way.

donnah - Have you tried slotting your cartos at all? I use two pretty decently sized holes, which kind of scared me at first after troubles with the Smoktech cartos flooding, but with the Boges I don't have any issues...I could probably put a couple more holes in without having an issue.

No..I'm not having any problems with the xxl boges with one large hole. It ain't broke so I'm not gonna mess with it Lol. The smoktechs and standard size boges (not long enough for the tanks I like to use anyway) will work nicely on the bottom feeder.

Btw..I'm using 70/30 PG/VG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread