Smoktech Vmax Owners - tips, tricks and quirks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadDaddy4007

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2012
San Antonio, Tx. U.S.A.
Well, it took me some time but I finally was able to read all the threads concerning the Max. I've had my Vmax for almost a month now and couldn't be happier. The hits, the vapor and the length the batteries last are amazing. It sure beats my LT knock off and my V8 gripper.
While it does has have a few quirks, I can live with them. One thing I did find rather amusing was the provari people comparing the Max. To me , it was like comparing a Harley to a Kawasaki. They both do the same thing, one just happens to cost more then the other. For some reason, my Max doesn't like my Griffin. I have it using a ss wick, with 34 ga nic-chrome coming out to 2.4 on my meter. But anytime I try it on my Max, I get the dreaded 9.9 on the ohms. But it works fine on the LT and the Gripper.Not to worry too much though, I'm using a ViviNova tank with a rebuilt head at 3.0 ohms. Makes tons of vapor and the flavor shines through also.
Only other problem I've had a is a dct always leaking and gurgling on me, nothing I do seems to alleviate it. As you can tell, I'm not a novice but I don't consider myself an elite either. Just an ordinary guy trying to stay off the death sticks, which makes the Boss Lady very happy.
Thanks for taking the time to read this and keep vaping and grinning, makes people winder what we know and they don't.
Now I can sit back, do some serious vaping and ponder some of life's mysteries, like"

why do they call them panty's and they only cover 1 ....?
and why do they call it a bra but it covers 2 boobs?
Peace out everybody! :)

TBinAZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
Mesa
I hope that you've tried wetting the Vivi coil with a few drops before using. Also it helps to fray out the ends of the wicks before filling. It's pretty common knowledge that the stock coils that come with some of these Vivis are wound a bit too tight choking off the juice flow. Many people, including myself, have had really good luck replacing the stock wick/coil. I still think that the Nova design is one of the best to come along with that style of clearo tank. Although I mainly use rebuildable attys and tanks these days, I still have a couple of Vivi Novas in the rotation.

sgenn99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2012
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
i did. i tried wetting, cutting little slits in the silicone where it sits on the wick (a la pbusardo), and tried it with every resistance head i've got. it seems to me that the vmax gives out too much power for the wicks to handle. i can't get rid of the burnt taste, even at 3 volts. i will stick to cartos-i have no problem with cartos and carto tanks, i'm just bummed that i have all these vivi novas, which i thought were awesome on my ego twist, and they aren't able to handle the power of the vmax.

sgenn99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2012
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
i'm not quite ready to rebuild attys and such. i am in over my head with this device as it is. i'm just looking for the right carto resistance now and some decent tanks w/some drip tips, and i'm going to settle into this device, read the forums, and learn...i just couldn't pass up the deal i was offered. it's a wonderful machine, even if it is a bit intimidating.

Mveraldi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2012
Boca Raton,FL
i did. i tried wetting, cutting little slits in the silicone where it sits on the wick (a la pbusardo), and tried it with every resistance head i've got. it seems to me that the vmax gives out too much power for the wicks to handle. i can't get rid of the burnt taste, even at 3 volts. i will stick to cartos-i have no problem with cartos and carto tanks, i'm just bummed that i have all these vivi novas, which i thought were awesome on my ego twist, and they aren't able to handle the power of the vmax.

I've Been using the 2.8 stock coil on my V2 at 3.5 and it's just great maybe the juice you're using is too thick? just a tought!!!

Mveraldi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2012
Boca Raton,FL
Maybe-I'm using Backwoods Brew Casablanca, which I believe is a 70/30 mix, and not very thick. I tried it with other juice, too. What kind of juice are you using? Perhaps I can thin it out or use a thicker one...beats me, but it really is bumming me out.

I am using a DIY 70/30 PG/VG it works pretty good no burnt taste at all, I also use the Vivi nova on my Zmax at 6,5W no problem there either

mrelwood

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Finland, Europe.
Wow. I wish I knew what I was doing wrong, because I sure love those Vivi tanks.

I only have a few steamers I can use with a Vmax. My Mini Nova heads are all recoiled 1.9 ohm, and there's no point even trying them with the Vmax. Anything below 2.5 seems to taste burned. A 2.8 ohm coil in a Vivi Nova might work well with a Vmax.

The issue is that Vmax gives out a LOT more voltage and power than the 3.0V reading makes us think. I think it's comparable to 4.8V from a Twist, or any other "regular" VV.

Edit: I was talking the older Vmax but typed Zmax... Fixed. An actual Zmax in wattage mode should work well with lower ohms also.

Last edited:

mrgoodwrench2u

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2012
Toledo, Ohio . U.S.A.
Recoil it your self and get the ohms you need for any mod you choose ! How to re-wick & re-coil a Vivi Nova head - YouTube

I just recoil mine and it's great, I have all rebuildables ,so I never have buy coils/atomizers from China again.

Maybe this will help , if you want try to rebuild it your self, it is very easy......just a thought?

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
I can't say much of anything good about the workings of the first versions of ViVi nova's out of the box and the latest versions "work" kind of OK but with some very simple and easy modifications these things will perform in, my opinion, as good as anything on the market.
Easy to buy, easy to fill, easy to mod. I have no problem @ 5 volts*/2.2 ohm if your wick/coil is physically large enough and wicks correctly.(that is if you can handle it, pretty big cloud of vapor)
* actual voltage
Let me add that I'm using two 2mm silica with 32g nichrome.

Last edited:

kumkum

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2012
kumkum land
I'm lost. I got the vmax, and I think I am in over my head. I went from the twist to this...it is a world of difference. I can't use the vivi novas even at the lowest voltage (burnt wick taste with the 2.4 heads and 2.8) so I started using the dct that came with it. Reads at 2.5. Obviously, cartos are the way to go with this unit. But what kind of cartos should I be using if I want to use a tank? Single coil? Dual coil? 2.5 or 3 ohm? So much to process...need help. Somebody make it simple...please?
Thanks in advance for your tips. I really love this thing...I want to know how I can make the most of it.

I had similar problems as yours. When i use the 2.8 ohms head i get a burning taste. I switched to a 3.2 ohms head and it is all good now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread