Read this! Snuffed out - how to get regs wrong, and did pharma play a role?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I like that they point out that while nicotine is being demonized as the evil addictive drug in the war on vaping no such measures are being taken against nicotine gums and patches. The galloping hypocrisy of this! I guess it depends on who's selling the nicotine.

AND..... the same people and their 'scientists' who are demonizing nicotine in ecigs, fully support it's use in NRTs???? And that in the UK, and by prescription in the US, that the NRTs are being pushed on 12 year olds - sometimes by their schools.

These facts should be pointed out in comments and emails to every media outlet that runs any 'brain development' story regarding ecigs.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
Reactions: dobroeutro

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
BP knows how to get smoking cessation products approved. The deeming regs impose an approval process which is very much like the process for getting drugs and other pharmaceutical products approved. The regs are tailor made for BP. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if a pharmaceutical company came up with an electronic cigarette in the near future.

Been there, done that already. It's the Nicotrol inhaler and it's largely a miserable fail. Looks like a tampon and has been reported to not taste much better than that. Although not electronic it did have some interesting (somewhat dubious) technology going on there.

I think BP has a very harrow mindset when it comes to NRT and with the Nicotrol inhaler they pretty much maxxed out their design concepts as far as them ever producing anything else you inhale. Well, in this arena - you can still line up to buy your asthma and COPD inhalers and will for a long time coming.

Anyway - they really can't. The deeming regs quite clearly point out all sorts of health or other claims you cannot make for e-cigarettes. That would seem to be a major marketing conflict: Still producing NRT products or cessation drugs - which they put out there as the bestest thing to ever to happen to a smoker with fluffled up success stories - side by side with an e-cig - that they can't say much of anything at all about yet actually works better for cessation. That would sure, uhhh..., "blow a few gaskets" in their stockholder meetings.

Reactions: skoony

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Yup... the FDA has no intention of reeling gums and patches in since they're already approved by the FDA, and are manufactured by their comrades/contributors/lords... whatever you want to call the pharmaceutical giants that pull the strings and pad the wallets.
These regulations are designed for one purpose only, decimate the competition (Vaping) and reap the spoils of what's left.

I think we need no further confirmation that the FDA is in the pockets of BT and BP and is nothing more than their tool.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
You are correct, Vasovick; but I didn't know that until I started vaping and I'm sure those who don't have vaping or vapers in their life don't know either. A couple of my family members think I'm nuts. They haven't had any issue with any FDA regulations so far,......... and until they do, will continue to think the GOV. is looking out for them. It's the ol' "If it ain't happening to me, it ain't happening." kind of thing. People would really rather not have more problems in their life.......until hit broadside with a 2'x4'. :(

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
You are correct, Vasovick; but I didn't know that until I started vaping and I'm sure those who don't have vaping or vapers in their life don't know either. A couple of my family members think I'm nuts. They haven't had any issue with any FDA regulations so far,......... and until they do, will continue to think the GOV. is looking out for them. It's the ol' "If it ain't happening to me, it ain't happening." kind of thing. People would really rather not have more problems in their life.......until hit broadside with a 2'x4'. :(
We, as vapers, have joined the group of those who have been screwed.
In time, all will be screwed, but it will happen slowly.

If you want to boil a frog, you do it slowly.
You make sure the frog doesn't notice what is happening until it's too late....
Boiling frog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We are frogs.
There were many frogs before us.

We didn't care about those frogs.
And now, we're boiling too.

I'm guessing fat and sugar are the next targets for those applying the heat.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
They haven't had any issue with any FDA regulations so far,......... and until they do, will continue to think the GOV. is looking out for them.

We, as vapers, have joined the group of those who have been screwed.
In time, all will be screwed, but it will happen slowly.

It only takes one IRS Audit to teach anyone............Government is not there to protect you.

I have been Way ahead of the Curve on this.............by abut a Decade :grr:

Government has no issue with turning a Dream into a Nightmare:-x:-x:-x

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
**Ribbit** :)

I too have had dealings with the IRS and they finally changed the wording in one of their form instructional blooklets to a more coherent explanation. I handled that one with humor, but it was close.

Now, recently hubby had dealings with a county gov. foul up that cost him a week in closing on a house, and had another week's delay due to the state of TN's medicaid program screw up which his father never used! Fortunately, he kept SIGNED written paper records from 4 years ago to prove he followed all of THEIR requirements. It's advantageous to meet them face to face with paper signed by them......moves things along quicker. Both the county and state did NOT follow their own procedures and he had to straighten them out. He did get apologies and thank you's, but it delayed closing of the house two weeks and caused a great deal of frustration and effort on HIS part. :(

DO NOT have any dealings with ANY gov. agencies if you can help it!

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
From now on, I'm gonna send my "Days without a Cigarette" signature along with every letter I send to my State Reps. I just hope they read enough into my letters to see the banner...

Um-m-m-m-, UnclePsyko, you might just remind your State Reps. about half your savings from not smoking tobacco are state excise taxes. :)

I wish this thread was still open:

Global E-cig Calculator Here: Please add your data to the list.

The first post showing totals to date is still active. Look at those numbers for less than 3,000 ex-smokers reporting and if you still think this was ever about "public health & safety"... yeah... right...

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I wish this thread was still open:

Global E-cig Calculator Here: Please add your data to the list.

The first post showing totals to date is still active. Look at those numbers for less than 3,000 ex-smokers reporting and if you still think this was ever about "public health & safety"... yeah... right...
Finally found me!
(User number) 1725
(Name) Robino1
(Days quit) 1,319
(cigs/day) 20
(Cost/pack) $ 5.65
(Money saved) $ 7,450.25
(Cigs avoided) 26,373

You can always revive it, make a new thread ;)

Link back to the original one.

I know a few names on that list. At least one has gone back to smoking and one has stopped vaping and has not gone back to smoking.

Not sure how accurate that list is anymore.

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
I just read an article in vaping.com about Rep. Kathleen Willis from The impoverished state of Illinois. Seems as though she had a change of heart on ecig s. She apparently read up on them and talked to different people in the industry. Would have been a little more informed if she would have done that BEFORE she shot out a bill to ban them (except for actors on stage-you know a more dramatic effect).
I encouraged her and others (Dick Durbin) to vote for Tom Coles bill and to watch the documentary:A Billion Lives. Hopefully she will heed my advice . I asked her if she would like to go back to the rotary phone and give up her smart phone. I informed her that we don't want to return to the 2007 rotary type phone for vaping. Ugh

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Finally found me!
(User number) 1725
(Name) Robino1
(Days quit) 1,319
(cigs/day) 20
(Cost/pack) $ 5.65
(Money saved) $ 7,450.25
(Cigs avoided) 26,373

You can always revive it, make a new thread ;)

Link back to the original one.

I know a few names on that list. At least one has gone back to smoking and one has stopped vaping and has not gone back to smoking.

Not sure how accurate that list is anymore.

Thanks 'bino but unless the OP was still interested in doing the maintenance for the counter entries - like when someone screws up their numbers and needs a correction - probably wouldn't be much point. DarthSnoopyperson is the only one who can make fixes.

As it is, people can still add their data.

And sure - there might be a few no longer valid entries in there from people who went back to smoking - but I bet that's an exception to the majority of entires. If someone stopped smoking and then stopped vaping - for the sake of the point the totals counter is making that's still a legitimate entry.

Reactions: Robino1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread