Read this! Snuffed out - how to get regs wrong, and did pharma play a role?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I know this is completely off topic. Sorry in advance.

What are we going to do when the Uranium runs out ?. :cry:

How are you going to be able to recharge your VTC4's ?. :cry:
You could use your solar panels sure. But when things do start getting bad you can kiss those goodbye because someone will come along and steal them (at gun point if you live in the USA), don't have any illusions about that.

Kind of puts things into perspective though don't you think.:unsure:

But oh no the government's regulated e cigs. That's the real crisis !.

Yeah it really is the end of the world eh !.:lol:

Last edited:
Reactions: mcol

mcol

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Missouri
I read an article last night about Gary, IN. If you are familiar with Gary,
it was thriving during the steel mill days, now it's loaded with crime - gangs,
murders, you name it. It's a cess pool. And smells horribly to drive through
the city due to retention ponds. The article was about an alderman who
sits outside of gas stations and watches people buy loose cigarettes, at below
the set cost. And the article goes on to encourage citizens to call a number
and report gas stations in Gary who *gasp* sell loose cigarettes.
My God, what a nice city to live in if that's the only thing they have
to worry about.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
From Hansard, the Official Record of of UK Parliamentary Proceedings, Viscount Ridley speaking on the 10th of May this year -
"Thankfully—and my noble friends will know how painful it is for me to say this—the European Parliamentvoted down the folly of exclusive medicinal regulation, but it did not vote down the rest of Article 20 of the tobacco products directive which, in that wonderfully undemocratic way, is now being forced upon us. The truth is that these regulations were scripted in Brussels by pharmaceutical companies desperately trying to protect the sales of their widely unloved nicotine replacement therapies. What we have before the House is still a piece of legislation that is not fit for purpose. When even the Department of Health says that it risks increasing smoking, we know that we are facing a moral responsibility as legislators to review this in great detail. It most certainly should not just be nodded through."

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
As the Last legal shipment of Legal e-cig products Lands...........
big_tobacco-741519_large.gif

:facepalm:

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Here's another interesting article written by George Will, Pulitzer prize winning columnist for the Washington Post.
In the Crusade against E-Cigs, Government Is Hardly a Disinterested Party, by George Will, National Review
Still reading but I love this part:

In 1998, acting on the dubious proposition that smoking costs governments substantial sums (actually, cigarettes are one of the most heavily taxed consumer products, and one in three smokers dies prematurely, before fully collecting government medical, pension, and nursing home entitlements)

There are so many people that always claim that smokers cost the taxpayer money. Here is something I can say to rebut that argument.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Unfortunately he has to end with this:

Life would be sweeter if people would forgo the pleasures of inhaling smoke and vapors that do not improve the air, which is plentiful and untaxed. And government would be better if more people were clear-eyed about how Baptists and bootleggers collaborate.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Still reading but I love this part:

In 1998, acting on the dubious proposition that smoking costs governments substantial sums (actually, cigarettes are one of the most heavily taxed consumer products, and one in three smokers dies prematurely, before fully collecting government medical, pension, and nursing home entitlements)

There are so many people that always claim that smokers cost the taxpayer money. Here is something I can say to rebut that argument.

Traditionally the British National Health Service Budget was set to balance the tax take from tobacco.

Reactions: Robino1

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Traditionally the British National Health Service Budget was set to balance the tax take from tobacco.

In America Tobacco Tax is set to offset excessive Spending at the State level.

We also enjoy states continually attempting to institute Taxation of online purchases to Bolster Budget shortfalls and Failing Government control of Run away spending.

Reactions: DC2

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Change of pace and subject. There is a NEW giveaway thread guys an girls.:banana::banana::banana:
One for your avatar @Falconeer:thumbs:

It's Bud Neil's "Rank Bajin" - Bud was a famous Scottish cartoonist way back when - the whole thing does Scottish plays on words, puns and pokes at Scottish society in the 50s and 60s. Rank was the Villain, his nemesis was Lobey Dosser the Sherrif who rode a two legged horse called "Elfie" or "El Fideldo" on Sundays.

You probably have to be Scots to get most of Bud's humour!

See what I mean!

baU2sK2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: juicynoos

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Is this to Rude a response to Propaganda - Huffington Post 4/16?

So better to just keep smoking then huh?.................How Rank Amateur ignorant to even make such claims. For the millions ADDICTED to Cigarettes, any LESS HARMFUL solution is a Stepping Stone to BETTTERING one's chances for a LONGER more PRODUCTIVE, LESS Burdening LIVE.
Of course there are literally Billions of Dollars worth of reasoning to Twart such thought.
What would BT do without Sales.
What would BP do with Healthier Americans not buying all those Pills.
What would the American Lung Cancer Society do with no Dragon to Slay(over and over and over)
How would States recover from Lost excessive tax collection and Worthless Tobacco Bonds......not to mention continually over spending.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread