Status
Not open for further replies.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Yes. That's required U.S. government BS. It's tobacco. It causes cancer. And the government warning was indeed for chewing tobacco, but no one had any idea what a snus was! So it got the same warning as dip. Believe me, they are not even close to the same or similar health hazards -- to any part of your body.

Read some studies of Swedish snus if your mind is troubled in any way.

jasondavis48108

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2008
Ann Arbor Michigan
thanx TB, I read a bunch of reports (it was kind of difficult to find stuff not written by snus companies or anti-tobacco nazis), best article I found looked like it was a huge study put out by te swedish gov and it said that the main risk was possible increase in risk of pancriatic cancer. As for the gum disease and tooth loss, I could find no data that seemed trust worthy. The snus companies say no, some health folk say yes. I did notice however, that the health folk who are acknowldging the health benifits of switching to snus make it very clear that the health beifits come from swedish snus and that since u.s. snus is not well regulated the health benifits cannot be assumed with american brands such as the camel or malboro snus

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Jason: At the moment, most U.S. branded snus are made in Sweden. And American companies are trying hard to buy the Swedish companies, believing snus might just be the future of tobacco.

If you closely examine that pancreatic cancer study, the risk is not statistically relevant. It's so small as to be inconsequential. Basically, there is no known long-term health-hazardous consequence of using snus. But those Anti-Nicotine Nazis are hard at work in their secret labs, trying to diss all tobacco products, so expect more alarming reports coming to a newspaper near you!

Are we to believe 12 drugged rats or more than a hundred years of Swedish use by human adults?

jasondavis48108

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2008
Ann Arbor Michigan
I think the rat's testimony would go something like this,

my mama was a lab rat, my daddy was a lab rat, we grew up in tha phizer projects and life was rough, no what I mean man, then one day this b**ch A** white man in a white coat comes and shoves a packet in my mouth, that packet was so huge I felt like I couldn't even breath man, then like three weeks later my pancreis goes out and I'm like damn you white man! damn you! I know it was caused my the gigantic white pack they been shovin in my mouth, ya knnow what I mean.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
:D

Good finds. I use CatchDry Peppermint daily. Works well after a meal, like a breath mint. The General Wintergreen I only recently tried -- and it did burn like crazy. I didn't like it. So I put it in the refrigerator and tried it again a few days later. Hmmm. Some burn. But pretty good stuff. I finished the tin in nothing flat and will buy it again. Don't touch it for a few days and give it another shot.

General White I do NOT like, however.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Snus lasts at least one year if kept refrigerated (heat is its big enemy, but it's safe to carry the tin in a hip pocket for a week or so). Some heavy users freeze their snus for long-term storage. I would never get that far ahead. New brands and flavors are introduced regularly in this trendy field, and I like to try them.

I can't point you immediately to the link, although I've posted it before. Stonewall has, by lab test, the lowest TSNAs of any tobacco product. It is THE safest tobacco to use.

jasondavis48108

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2008
Ann Arbor Michigan
fo anyone who is interested

"The Cancer Center, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA.

New tobacco products, designed to attract consumers who are concerned about the health effects of tobacco, have been appearing on the market. Objective evaluation of these products requires, as a first step, data on their potentially toxic constituents. Tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNAs) are an important class of carcinogens in tobacco products, but virtually no data were available on their levels in these products. In the present study, we analyzed several new products-Ariva, Stonewall, Exalt, Revel, Smokey Mountain, and Quest-for TSNAs and compared their TSNA levels with those in nicotine replacement products and conventional smokeless tobacco and cigarette brands. TSNAs were not detected in Smokey Mountain, which is a tobacco-free snuff product. The lowest levels among the new products containing tobacco were in Ariva and Stonewall (0.26-0.28 microg/g wet weight of product). The highest levels in the new products were found in Exalt (3.3 microg/g tobacco), whereas Revel and Quest had intermediate amounts. Only trace amounts were found in nicotine replacement products, and conventional brands had levels consistent with those reported in the literature. These results demonstrate that TSNA levels in new tobacco products range from relatively low to comparable with those found in some conventional brands.

PMID: 16766423 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]"

this stonewall stuff looks really promising

megamike

Apr 26, 2008
I can vouch...I just purchased a snus kit from buysnus.com (great company by the way) and the wet snus is absolutely disgusting. It tastes like salt, pepper and Swedish .... I have also tried the Camel snus (frost flavor) and it was wonderful. Unfortunately I can't buy it here in Albuquerque yet. I read on someone's blog that Gottenborg Rape is really good? I mean rape has to taste good, right (sorry..bad joke)? Can anyone recommend some snus that actually tastes good and any web links?

jamie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
What I read is:

White Portion = Dry Portion
Regular Portion = Moist portion
lös = loose snus

The white packet used is different than the type used in regular portion packs. It will take longer for the snus taste to become apparent in white portion, but it will last longer than regular portion snus. The regular portion taste starts almost immediately.

jasondavis48108

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2008
Ann Arbor Michigan
I currently have both the catch dry and the general in both white portion (wintergreen) and regular. Maybe I'm just twisted but so far my favorite is the general regular which tastes like salt and pepper. Its definitly a strong taste but I really like it. I just ordered several varieties from buysnus, and a box of 24 different varieties from these folks

Buy Snus from Swedish Snus, Portion Snus, Swedish smokeless pouch Snus, number one smokeless tobacco shop

pretty good price at about 2.70 a can including shipping and I get to try many differnt kinds of snus. should keep me busy for quite a bit of time.

as for the camel snus, I've read some scary things about it on the snuson forum, bleeding throats and whatnot. I'll stick to the swedish imports for now.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Jason, don't believe the stuff about Camel snus. I have read and contributed to those forums for a long time and many users are "macho" posers. The worse tasting the snus, the better it is! The stronger the better. Hey, let's stuff three large pouches in our mouth. The Camel snus tastes as good as it gets. It is weaker that most Swedish snus, however. General is an excellent snus, BTW, the standard, in fact. Taste is such an individual thing: I have a can (don't like it at all) of General White. I went to the tobacco store yesterday (it was open on the 4th!) and they were sold out of General Wintergreen. I'm hurting ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread