So Im new here and trying to DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @ashharmon; and welcome to ECF!:D

With all your diligent research, you probably already know this (but I'm going to say it anyway because I have not yet seen it stated in this thread), but replicating commercial recipes (cloning) is probably the most difficult thing to do in DIY. You are diving directly into the deepest end of the DIY pool... I can imagine you are frustrated.

Cloning is fraught with challenges. Identifying the flavor manufacturer(s). Identifying the specific flavor concentrates. Identifying concentrate percentages.

Then there is the challenge of how one ingredient interacts with the next. For example, compare Herbs de p
Provence
and a classic Italian herb blend; the ingredients are very similar, but depending on ratios and secondary accent notes, they end up tasting very different. DIY is not really any different. Too much, too little, or the wrong concentrate; and the recipe will go in completely different directions.

And, that is assuming the commercial liquid is being made with ingredients we have access to. There are concentrate manufactures, who do not sell retail products. They only sell large scale bulk orders. They can also custom create a concentrate, or even complete blend, that is a singular "one-off" product for a single client. This can make a "true" clone virtually impossible.

I say that, not to discourage you any further, but to maybe help you set more realistic expectations/goals. It can often be less challenging to create something "like," or "similar to," a commercial offering; than it is to exactly replicate it.

What is it you like about a particular commercial e-liquid? What flavor(s) are standing out to you? How? Why? How would you describe it? Giving some careful thought/analysis can help you set more realistic goals for what you want to create. The more specific, precise, descriptive you can be; the more likely you can find a suitable ingredient to achieve your desired result.

Even then it is going to require time and patience. Trial and error. If the reward (savings, personal satisfaction, a new hobby) is not worth the effort, then maybe DIY cloning is not for you... at least right now.

Instead, maybe taking some of the more important characteristics of the commercial e-liquid you like, and identifying a single one-shot blend, or simple combination of concentrates that meets your criteria, is a better way to go. Don't focus on it being "just like blank." Who knows; maybe you will find something even better!;)

Let's take the Butter Brew (Yami Vapor) you mentioned as an example. I have no idea what it is and have never vaped it. Research lead me to VaporDNA. Butterscotch is all that comes up in the official description. Reading the review section, I learn a little more: cream soda, butterscotch, creamy, buttery, thick, rich, and some (apparently fictitious harry Potter) beverage called Butter Beer. So now I research butter beer. Evidently this really exists; at least at Universal Studios. Though the exact ingredients aren't disclosed, it appears basic ingredients are cream soda, ice cream, whipped cream, and butterscotch syrup.

If you have some of the real stuff, vape on it, and consider: what about the above descriptions can you taste? What is most prominent? What are more subtle/secondary? What are you tasting that isn't in the descriptions? Write down your observations.

Now you have a choice:
1. You can start from scratch.
2. You can start with someone else's efforts; and tweak to your own liking.

If you have (as you said) "nearly every flavor ever made," and you have a good understanding of what each one has to offer, and how they differ; building from scratch may be the way to go. Start with the base/primary flavor note... get it correct; then move on to the next most prominent note... get it correct, AND working with the first note; then the next... etc., etc. Build in layers. Don't try to do it all at once... this rarely works.

If you haven't spent much/any time working with your individual ingredients, and it is going to be basically grasping in the dark; maybe starting with a well reviewed, and described recipe, is the smarter choice.

Start with reasonable expectations; this is not likely going to be a case of "win," or "fail." More likely, it is going to be more along the lines of: "close," "kinda-sorta", "not really," or "not even remotely the same." Referring to your previous notes: What is right about it? What is wrong? Does it seem like it may be the right flavor concentrates, and just not the right percentages? Or, are the concentrates all together wrong (is it a butterscotch hard candy taste when you are wanting more of a butterscotch syrup flavor)?

Here are a few general DIY tips I found helpful:

Make only ONE adjustment at a time. If one starts making multiple changes (percentages, ingredients), it is almost impossible to isolate what each change is actually doing, and whether it is helping, or hurting, the overall goal. (This goes for hardware changes too... different hardware = different taste)

Don't neglect sweeteners. "Sweet" is one of the easiest tastes to perceive... even with horribly abused taste buds. Because of this, many commercial e-liquids use lots of sweeteners. Many DIYers find they like less and less sweet in their mixes, as their taste buds recover; and tend to reduce, or even completely remove them, from their recipes. Just because they no longer need/want sweeteners; doesn't mean you don't want/need them.

Sweeteners can have an impact on a recipe. They can mute flavors (requiring more, or different concentrates), soften sharp notes, thicken mouthfeel. It is often more helpful to leave the sweetener(s) for last. Then, start low, and only add as needed. Once the "sweet" note is right it may be necessary to go back and adjust (and on rare occasions; replace), one or more flavors... it's all a balancing act.

Don't neglect what time may do for/to a recipe. The simple passage of time can have a significant impact on haw a mixture tastes. Don't throw out (or repurpose) your test mixes (esp. while you are creating). Instead, make sure they are labeled (so you know what is in them, and when they were made), and revisit them from time to time. This can be useful when you hit a creative wall. Even if they are still not 100% "there," they can reveal a missing "it," that you have been searching for. (Looking at the basic Butter Brew descriptions; I would not be surprised if this didn't need two weeks of aging before all the flavors matured.)

If you are impatient, like me, one can shorten the total timeline required by making several test batches, with one single different adjustment in each, all at the same time. Then test separately. If the adjustment is a fail; try something else. For the tests that show promise; the single tests may be combined to see if the cumulative result is pleasing... or, if one change is going to conflict with the other (one benefit of doing this; is there is little to no additional aging required).

Try to make informed choices. This is still not much more than wild-a**ed guessing, but I do a couple of things to move the needle a bit more in my favor:

For flavor concentrates:
  • research multiple vendors that display customer comments/reviews (Bull City Flavors, e-cig express, and Nicotine River, are some of my starting points).
  • E-Liquid Recipes, .................., and Reddit, can also be informative.
  • I pay more attention to the comments and reviews than I do manufacturer/vendor descriptions. Mfg./vendors are more interested in sales vs. accuracy.
  • Because I know taste is so subjective; I look for consensus/patterns. If twenty people describe a concentrate as "tastes like candied fruit," and only two say "the most realistic flesh fruit ever," I am betting that this will more likely be candy-like to me. It is not always the case; but it is more often than than not.
  • Fewer reviews don't mean it is bad; it just means it is more of a gamble. The converse is true to; even hundreds of "best concentrate ever!" reviews, does not guarantee a winner for me... or my intended application.
  • Remember that single-reviewer sources, like Wayne Walker's FlavorBook, is still only one person's perception. Usefulness depends on how similar your palate is to the reviewer. (This can be said of any individual review; no matter the author's skill and/or reputation... and why I look more for consensus.)

For choosing recipes:
  • I try to weigh recipes by how detailed (thought out, described) the author is about his/her creation. Things like what there intent was, why they chose particular ingredients, and what they think of the end result; all give me more confidence in the "purposefulness" of the creation, and the likelihood of it succeeding. (Again; no guarantee, but more winners than losers... or at least something I can work with.)
  • Same for recipe comments/reviews. I will consider more carefully, the review that says "why" it is good/bad, than the generic like/didn't like comments. It doesn't invalidate those opinions; but it provides me more information I might be able to apply to my own judgement.
  • I start, by looking at the highest, most reviewed recipes (Doesn't mean I will mix them; I just start my research there).
  • (IMO) Recipes with only one rating are rated by the creator only.
  • (IMO) Recipes with NO rating are only a work in progress, or the author didn't care for it enough to bother rating it. I tend to ignore these unless I am desperate.
Based on a very brief 5 minute search of only two sites, if I were to tackle the butter beer, I would probably start with one of these two:
1. From All The Flavors: Butter Beer by SlashaLO
or
2. From E-liquid Recipes (ELR): Butterbeer by Ken O'Where (sorry; ECF does not permit ELR links)

Thank you! When i say "clone" i say it, and probably many other words or phrases loosely ....i have never even TRIED half the "originals" out there to compare them to! so by my standards, a good vape is a good vape, or....its just not, no matter how close it may or may not be to its predecessor. I started diy within the first month of vaping, not sure how it happened bc it was years ago ....guess ive always been a bargain shopper! haha but you know when the specific brand is posted (bc on some smaller sites just a random flavor is listed) i have always used that specific type. I know one of the biggest things that I DO like and feel must be added to almost all of MY juices is sweetener, but that is a new thing (within the last 2 weeks) and that is mostly bc i a.) vape all day long and do this instead of eating myself out of house and home and b.) this makes my juices taste more like commercial blends, which i like.
But i cant seem to get really strong FLAVOR. its like ive tried adding more, adding less, adding accent flavors to make the base flavor "pop" and I just don't think i'll ever be able to get the kind of flavor that every other DIYer seems to get. I was vaping 70/30ish blends but switched to much closer to 50/50 thinking this might be partly to blame. And maybe it helped a little, I'm not sure. I don't really care for the way some tanks hit so i tend to stay with my pretty simple coil and tank setup. I switched to a smoother nic so i wouldn't have as much flavor alteration but I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong. you would think that even the single recipe mixes i have tried, much less the heavy duty 13 flavor recipes....somewhere along the line i would have found one that seemed to actually have some decent (here in mean in terms of strength/saturation) flavor!!

and no I'm not a flavor diy genius, by any means, but i have invested countless hours scouring the internet for info, tips, recipes, quality juice/nic/flavor distributors, scale accuracy tests(bc you just never know if an off kilter scale is your flavor killer!!) so even though i cant seem to find flavors/mixes that i like....i am not a complete and total dummy. just a little. ha! so... i guess i will just keep searching...if only i could turn my passion into skill! then id be one of the greats!

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I’m so close to just wholesaling my lot to someone and giving up, but I would love if I could just figure out if it’s really possible to make good juices at home or is it just make believe propaganda the flavor labs are selling us? That’s what I meant when I said HELP!!
(I’ve even screwed up recipes from Fear and ID10-T)

There are lots and lots of ECF members (and others not on ECF) who DIY all the time and haven't bought any eliquids for years. So, it's definitely not just make believe propaganda. However, that does not mean that every eliquid each of us has made...has been a favorite or "a winner", or in some cases, even just good. It also doesn't mean that we hit upon what have become our favorites, the very first time we made them. There's usually quite a bit of tweaking that's gone on, notes that were taken, etc. to reach the point of discovering a favorite.

What I'd recommend, so you don't decide to give up on DIY...is to get a few already blended/mixed flavorings that can produce great-tasting eliquids, by just adding 1 of them singly to your own PG, VG, and nic base. That way you'll have something enjoyable to vape while you're working on developing and tweaking other eliquids. Many places sell those type of flavorings.

Sometimes they're called "one shot concentrates", sometimes the vendor has their own name(s) for them. One Stop DIY Shop has what they've named their "One Stop Flavors" and "One Stop Blends". Quite a few of us on ECF regularly use them and really like them. (A few of my favorites: Lucky Shot, Baked Cinnamon Roll, Pink Lemonade, Blue Raspberry Slush, Lotta Latte in combo. with the Lucky Shot, etc.). I know that Bull City Flavors, Ecig Express, and other vendors also have their own, too, that many on here like as well. I'd recommend getting a few of them...so you can experience some DIY success, while taking your time making, tweaking, and testing more involved recipes that you'd like to try.

It might be of some help if you'd post a few recipes that you've tried, that've been "duds" or real disappointments in your opinion. Maybe someone could spot something, or several things, that might be the cause. Just be sure to post exactly what you were trying to end up with...as far as PG/VG ratio, nic mg, and quantity of finished eliquid. Then give each flavoring name, brand, and % you used...as well as how much plain PG, plain VG, and nic base you used. Be sure to tell what mg/mL your nic base is, too.

Please don't just give up on DIY yet. :)

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Don’t feel bad. I cooked for forty years and it was all terrible. I’m just now learning to make edible food.

I started diy shortly after I started vaping. The first juices I bought were so good, all of them. I ordered them from a vape shop where I knew the owners.

Then I ran out and hit up the local shops. All so very bad! I could not find one juice I could stand. So I set out to make my own, and also ordered more from the online store.

I’ve bought hundreds of flavors, tested hundreds of recipes. A lot of fails. A lot. But the first few months, I’d get at least one good vape out of five or ten tests. And I still make most of those often.

My first win is still one of my favorites, TFA toasted almond 6%, shake and vape. Bomb proof flavor, works at any pg/vg, everyone loves it.

FW hazelnut is the same way. I make that 250 mls at a time for my sister in law. It’s all she vapes.

Ecigexpress has tfa Signature flavors that are easy and good. Berry cereal and dulce de leche are two of my favorites, and I’ll go about 8% on those, better after a week steeping.

Recipes don’t have to be complex. Some are, and if you nail them, that’s great. But there’s nothing wrong with single flavor juice.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
FW hazelnut is the same way. I make that 250 mls at a time for my sister in law. It’s all she vapes.
If you like Hazelnut you ought to give Real Flavor's Hazelnut Super Concentrate a try. It is great as a single flavor recipe @ ~3% and works great in recipes at a slightly lower percentage.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
There are lots of single flavor vapes that are good. Just depends on what you like flavor wise. I like several of the purilum flavors as singles. Several of the Inawera tobacco ones are good single flavors and several TFA flavors are good as singles.

The pay off for all the time and effort to find what works for you. Bottle of ejuice for $1 or $2 instead of the ridiculous prices of a lot of retail juice.

MoeKeto

Mar 27, 2018
but its really going awful!! lol ive made several juices over time, and whether i just make them myself based on what sounds *smells* good, or follow a recipe, it seems i just make awful liquid tar or vicks! :( help

Hey! Welcome to the club, I’m trying to DIY too, there are so many help tools online, I personally used the e-liquid calculator which is basically a mini ECF but for juices only and they help you a lot. There was a post that had all the flavours that make the top 100 recipes based on the website, I’m not sure if I can post the link here, but I’m sure you can google it and find it, or worst case, message me here and I’ll send it to you.
My biggest issue is getting the components, I actually enjoy the mixing part. So if you got the components down pat, then the world is your oyster and there’s a ton of help out there. I’m sure there’s some help for eLiquid here too but this forum is literally a world of information, and I’m still exploring.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
If you like Hazelnut you ought to give Real Flavor's Hazelnut Super Concentrate a try. It is great as a single flavor recipe @ ~3% and works great in recipes at a slightly lower percentage.
My cousin Meg is hooked on WF hazelnut & cream, speaking of which I need to mix her up some. Might just do 120ml this time.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
When i say "clone" i say it, and probably many other words or phrases loosely ....i have never even TRIED half the "originals" out there to compare them to! so by my standards, a good vape is a good vape, or....its just not, no matter how close it may or may not be to its predecessor.
Sounds perfectly reasonable... and more attainable. Finding "good" should(?) be easier than finding "exact." Having realistic goals makes DIY a bit easier (even if it doesn't seem like it right now:(). :)
I know one of the biggest things that I DO like and feel must be added to almost all of MY juices is sweetener, but that is a new thing (within the last 2 weeks)
I'm glad you found at least one success for all your struggles! :) Nothing wrong with using sweeteners if you enjoy them.

I do tend to advocate adding them near the end of recipe development. Sweeteners can be a bit of a double-edged sword. In the "win" column: they can satisfy the sweet-tooth; and, also soften some of the sharp/harsh edges, of a recipe (think adding sugar to sour bitter lemon juice to get a pleasing lemonade). In the "loss" column: they can mute/deaden flavors; and they are often hard on coils. Getting a recipe pretty much dialed in, and then adding sweetener ( and only enough to get the desired effect), can often help minimize any negative impact.

As you have only been using them for 2(ish) weeks; I would agree that is not the root of your problem.
But i cant seem to get really strong FLAVOR.
Question: Am I understanding correctly; that you do get satisfying/enjoyable (strong?) flavor from some/any commercial e-liquids, and it is only DIY efforts that have not been satisfying?
I don't really care for the way some tanks hit so i tend to stay with my pretty simple coil and tank setup.
You bring up another good point. There are lots of things that influence what, and how, we perceive taste. It is not restricted to just the e-liquid components.

Question: What is/are the hardware setup(s) you use (topper and power supply)? You mentioned using a tank. Does it/they use factory coils (aka drop-ins), or do you make your own? What resistance (ohms) do you use (buy/build)? If you are using a regulated device (adjustable power/temperature); what power/temperature do you use?

Question: How would you describe your overall (aside from vaping) ability to taste (food and beverage)? "better than most," "on par with most folks," "everybody else seems to taste things I don't;" or some other description?
and no I'm not a flavor diy genius, by any means, but i have invested countless hours scouring the internet for info, tips, recipes, quality juice/nic/flavor distributors, scale accuracy tests(bc you just never know if an off kilter scale is your flavor killer!!) so even though i cant seem to find flavors/mixes that i like....i am not a complete and total dummy. just a little. ha! so... i guess i will just keep searching...if only i could turn my passion into skill! then id be one of the greats!
No; you are no dummy, and it sounds like you are doing your due diligence. Trial, error, patience, and persistence; are all core tools we need as DIYers.

I would second @JCinFLA's request; and ask you (if you are willing) to share a couple of your attempted recipes (with the details she described). The only difference (or maybe addition) I would ask for, is to include the recipe you feel is the closest to tasting good, as well as a flop or two. The comparison might help give insight as to where to focus.

A final flurry of questions (for now:facepalm:): What (generally speaking) flavors do you like, or want, to vape? Do you like tobacco flavors? Fruits? Candies? creams/custards? Bakeries? Mints? Brand name of commercial juices wouldn't mean a thing to me, but some ideas of what have been enjoyable vapes for you in the past, could help us steer you toward more useful ingredients and recipes. What, if you can put it into words, makes a juice "good" to you? Is it sweetness? A thick mouthfeel? What else? What is missing, from your unsuccessful DIY attempts, compared to commercial liquids you have liked?

Feel free to lump these together, or answer individually, or any combination thereof. I am just trying to understand (as best as my own slow-witted, excessively abused, brain will allow :eek:) what might get you a satisfying mix. The more specific/detailed you can be; the more helpful our answers have a chance of being. ;)

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Just a FYI... drops are a fairly inaccurate means of measure, but it can be usefull. If you do the drop method, use flavorings that are PG based so they'll have a similar consistency to water. For water, 20 drops is roughly equal to 1ml. So, 2 drops of pg based flavoring in a 10ml bottle is roughly equal to %1 flavoring. This might help in the long run if you decide to make a larger batch of a flavor you discover you like.

Not true, most PG based flavorings are 40-60 drops per ml. I've even found this true when dripping from the wide tip of a 1 ml pipette, and 10 ml flavoring bottles with droppers are much finer. So, 1 drop per ml is about 2%( to 2.5%).

Most of my mixes are around 1-2.5%. I am shocked by some of the recipes I see, which seem formulated for a cigalike in strength. I do have a method of making stronger flavors which might cause serious flavorists to shake their head: I lean towards flavor combos that increase flavor strength when combined. For example, Cap Banana and TFA Toasted Marshamallow at maybe 4% are both good and not strong, but 2% each together is unvapable, like a wall of impenetrable dark. Diluted sufficiently it's rather amazing.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    Sounds good. Where can I buy that?
    I only ever bought direct from RF or on Amazon/Walmart but I am not sure if they still sell there. Some other flavor vendors sell them, or rebrand them with different names, but I haven't kept up with where else to get them as I bought so many RF SC in late 2016 and early 2017 that I probably won't be ordering more for another year or two.

Sounds perfectly reasonable... and more attainable. Finding "good" should(?) be easier than finding "exact." Having realistic goals makes DIY a bit easier (even if it doesn't seem like it right now:(). :)

I'm glad you found at least one success for all your struggles! :) Nothing wrong with using sweeteners if you enjoy them.

I do tend to advocate adding them near the end of recipe development. Sweeteners can be a bit of a double-edged sword. In the "win" column: they can satisfy the sweet-tooth; and, also soften some of the sharp/harsh edges, of a recipe (think adding sugar to sour bitter lemon juice to get a pleasing lemonade). In the "loss" column: they can mute/deaden flavors; and they are often hard on coils. Getting a recipe pretty much dialed in, and then adding sweetener ( and only enough to get the desired effect), can often help minimize any negative impact.

As you have only been using them for 2(ish) weeks; I would agree that is not the root of your problem.

Question: Am I understanding correctly; that you do get satisfying/enjoyable (strong?) flavor from some/any commercial e-liquids, and it is only DIY efforts that have not been satisfying?

You bring up another good point. There are lots of things that influence what, and how, we perceive taste. It is not restricted to just the e-liquid components.

wow i just typed a huge response and somehow my browser reloaded the page! ahhhh bummer!! :(
    well i'll try to recap bc that's a lot to retype.
    First off hardware: On the day to day, i use the smok stick x8, exactly as it comes with the baby beast tank and M2 and X4 coils (.13-.4 ohms, i believe) and i guess that puts me anywhere from 40-70 watts maybe?
    Question: What is/are the hardware setup(s) you use (topper and power supply)? You mentioned using a tank. Does it/they use factory coils (aka drop-ins), or do you make your own? What resistance (ohms) do you use (buy/build)? If you are using a regulated device (adjustable power/temperature); what power/temperature do you use?

Question: How would you describe your overall (aside from vaping) ability to taste (food and beverage)? "better than most," "on par with most folks," "everybody else seems to taste things I don't;" or some other description?

No; you are no dummy, and it sounds like you are doing your due diligence. Trial, error, patience, and persistence; are all core tools we need as DIYers.

I would second @JCinFLA's request; and ask you (if you are willing) to share a couple of your attempted recipes (with the details she described). The only difference (or maybe addition) I would ask for, is to include the recipe you feel is the closest to tasting good, as well as a flop or two. The comparison might help give insight as to where to focus.

A final flurry of questions (for now:facepalm:): What (generally speaking) flavors do you like, or want, to vape? Do you like tobacco flavors? Fruits? Candies? creams/custards? Bakeries? Mints? Brand name of commercial juices wouldn't mean a thing to me, but some ideas of what have been enjoyable vapes for you in the past, could help us steer you toward more useful ingredients and recipes. What, if you can put it into words, makes a juice "good" to you? Is it sweetness? A thick mouthfeel? What else? What is missing, from your unsuccessful DIY attempts, compared to commercial liquids you have liked?

Feel free to lump these together, or answer individually, or any combination thereof. I am just trying to understand (as best as my own slow-witted, excessively abused, brain will allow :eek:) what might get you a satisfying mix. The more specific/detailed you can be; the more helpful our answers have a chance of being. ;)

I have responded to this about 4 times now and my stupid computer keeps refreshing the page, and i lose EVERYTHING IVE typed. Its getting FRUSTRATING. it's late, ill share my answers to those questions tomorrow after some shut eye and a short walk to diffuse the urge to chunk my tablet across the room ! :censored: I'll also work on some copy/paste to share my "successful" and not so much recipes. Thanks to all for the response, you've been amazing!!:D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread