So my RBA tried to kill me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just made my first coil on my first atomizer. Just a single coil during at 1.1 ohms with cotton wicks. I got no vapor and no flavor and I thought I was going to die. Started coughing so hard, I actually threw up a little. No sure what I did wrong. Still trying to look up exactly what causes the throat hit. I know nicotine is a partial reason since it's still my 18 ml, but I didn't really even get very much from the value. Just a weak cloud. I might as well have been using a clearomizer. It's a basic set up. An iGO-W with 2 2mm holes, and a smok Magneto mod with a Efest 18650 3.7 V 2500 mAh battery. It is currently coilless until I get the balls to put my lungs on the line again. Btw, I did not lung hit it either, was just filling up my mouth to see the vapor I could get. I'm thinking maybe there is a way to hit it that is different from my clearomizer tank which is an aspire bdc on an x.fire mod. So does anyone have some advice? I'm wanting bigger clouds with as little throat hit as possible until I can work my way up.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Did you prime the cotton wick heavily with juice before you screwed it all back together? That would be my guess. Dry cotton is highly unvapable and you just don't get enough wetting of the wick without priming unless you let it all sit unvaped for at least 15 minutes after recoiling. Better to flood it than risk a dry wick.

Cotton wick too thin? The wick should be thick enough to fill the coil but slide back and forth with just a little resistance. Too much and it gets strangled. Too little and the coil can glow when you vape. A good visual is a wick that puffs up slightly on each side as you drag it back and forth in the coil when dry. Then, soak the wick, invert it and let the excess drip off. More juice is better than less.

Last edited:
Only other thing I can think of is my coil isn't made the best. And as far as ohms go, where do I want that? I hear everyone going to sub-ohms. Does that cause the TH? And I have 32 guage and 24 guage wire. I'm finding it hard to find a straight answer as far as wire thickness and ohms and how that effects heat, TH and vapor.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Thicker wire, lower ohms. Thinner wire, higher ohms. Lower ohms, warmer vape. Higher ohms, cooler vape.
I find TH has more to do with pg/VG and nic level than resistance.
I was thinking too much nic, poor airhole alignment and hot spots. Pretty much what everyone else already said. Also, you have a single coil right? Try blocking off 1 airhole and lining up the other. Tape works.

Frisco Vic

Jul 16, 2014
United States
I have the exact same setup, and it sounds to me that it's like they say. A hot spot of some kind. Did you check your wick afterward? Was it burnt? Maybe to little juice? I always to prime the coils (warm up) before I start vaping, I feel it's less of a throat hit. And I've noticed with the I go w that if your draw is too slow it comes out super hot and hurts like hell.
Good luck and don't give up, it's a pretty good vape when you get it dialed in.

If I run a dual coil will that increase the vape? Is no longer trying to assassinate me but I'm still not content with the vape. Not looking to chase clouds yet, just want to have as much vape as I can handle without choking.

You can get good clouds with single coil. You may have said but I didn't see, what rba with what mod are you using? Also, 18 might be too high for you. I used 18 with cartos when I first started, when I went to rebuildable, I dropped to 8

Last edited:
Ok, just saw you have igo w on magneto. (read the first post duh) I think if your coils are good with no hit spots, your nic is prob just too high to hit long enough for good clouds. I have right this second, and igo w on m16 clone. Dual hurricane coils (thanks rip trippers) running at .53 ohms 5/64 holes. This thing shoots out vapor!

Ok, just saw you have igo w on magneto. (read the first post duh) I think if your coils are good with no hit spots, your nic is prob just too high to hit long enough for good clouds. I have right this second, and igo w on m16 clone. Dual hurricane coils (thanks rip trippers) running at .53 ohms 5/64 holes. This thing shoots out vapor!

My AGA T7 just came in the mail so I have a basic micro coil on it sitting at 0.8 ohms. I'm getting less throat hit and more flavor. Also down to a 6 on the nic. Now I just need to figure out how to get the vape I'm looking for. If I get it up to a 1.5 and put it in my Vamo that's coming in, would being able to adjust the watts help in vapor production? Also the T7 had 4 nodes instead of 3. Does anyone know of a good coil set up for that?

P.S. a friend told me more coil surface area (ie 2 coils) would produce more vapor. Is this true?

I Havnt built on a aga t7 but it looks like a dual coil kayfun. And yes, the more surface will give more vapor and better flavor. That's why I build around 22guage needles and not drill bits. 12 wrap nano coil(around a needle) produces better vapor and flavor than an 8wrap micro. Even if the resistance is the same the nano does better. Also, burns through juice faster.

Secondly, dual coil does produce more but remember these things. Dual coil cuts your ohms in half but requires the same voltage as 1.5 times the dual coil voltage. ie... A 1.2 ohm coil fires great at 4 volts, two 1.2 ohm coils will act as a .6 ohm but needs the voltage of a .9ohm coil and will drain the batter faster

cloudsfordaze

Jul 18, 2014
Orlando, FL
I just got an Igo-w about a week ago (my first dripper), running a .3 ohm dual coil set up with 28ga kenthal and organic cotton. My opinion is that you aren't using enough juice. That burnt taste has happened to me. Give the cotton a good 4-5 drops of eliquid and give it a try again. That's my opinion. Being new to dripping, that burnt taste has actually happened to me a lot, it hurts, and sucks..

I just got an Igo-w about a week ago (my first dripper), running a .3 ohm dual coil set up with 28ga kenthal and organic cotton. My opinion is that you aren't using enough juice. That burnt taste has happened to me. Give the cotton a good 4-5 drops of eliquid and give it a try again. That's my opinion. Being new to dripping, that burnt taste has actually happened to me a lot, it hurts, and sucks..

I think .3 ohm is very low especially for new vapists. I'm semi seasoned (vaping for 6 years, exclusively vaping for 1 month now) I don't like lower than .5 because juice goes fast and burnt taste happens before know your wicks are dry. I'm gonna post a pic of my igo I am vaping on right bow with dual hurricane coils(credit again to rip trippers)

IMAG1343.jpg here is one pic, I'll post one of it firing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread