The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

So overwhelmed...advice please

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Pod_Vaper, Feb 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Pod_Vaper

Pod_Vaper Senior Member Verified Member

Jan 30, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I started vaping about 5 months ago using drug store disposable e-cigs. I quickly "graduated" to 808 e-cigs with prefilled carts, but realized quickly that wasn't cutting it either. So I've stuck solely with pod devices for simplicity, convenience, and because, frankly, they're pretty dummy proof. I've tried 4 so far, but I'm running into issues with burnt pods, failing devices, and flavor issues. Despite my earlier protests about upgrading beyond e-cigs for stealth, I'm now looking into buying a mod for here at home. Something small and simple. And then saving my stealthy little pod systems for when I go out.

I've been trying to research, but I'm just on overload. I'm thinking of buying the Eleaf Pico 75w with Melo 3 mini tank, but I have absolutely NO CLUE what battery to even start with it. I'll learn about wattage and such as I go, but how do I even get started safely?

Thanks for your help and patience with this dummy!

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  2. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Moving to a mod can seem difficult but keeping to basic safety principles will help you. What is going to matter safety wise is that you have the right type of battery for your wattage settings. For example, if you vape lower watts, you can go with a battery with a lower rating, but more mAhs, for longer run time. I vape at low wattages and use Samsung 25's, they are plenty for my needs and I get more run time. If you want higher wattages on a single battery mod, well, then probably a higher rated Sony battery would be best for your needs. You also want to get two of them, so you can switch them out as you charge the other on an external charger. The good thing is batteries are inexpensive, and chargers as well.

To start learning about safety, I recommend this blog: Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

You will find an updated battery chart listing the specs of each battery and their various ratings, as well as some information on batteries generally.

My guess is even with a single battery mod, if you are running it at low to medium wattage a Samsung or an LG may work well for your needs. If you are looking for something in the 50--100 watt range you would do better with a higher rated battery and possibly a two battery mod. But my guess is you won't be falling in that ballpark, I don't think.

Best of luck, welcome to ECF, and keep asking questions until it all becomes clear.

Anna

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
  3. Letitia

Letitia Therion/Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    You are not a dummy, just a new vaper. The info and products available is overwhelming. Personally I would order the Pico 25/Ello kit for future versatility.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Beamslider

Beamslider Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    It's a single battery mod. So what battery you want depends on how much wattage you want to use with it even though it is a regulated mod making it safer.

To keep from stressing the batteries, you need one of the batteries on Mooch's chart 18650 that is rated for 20 Amps if you are going to use it at 50 watts or below. You need one rated at 25 to 30 Amps from that chart if you are going to vape above 50 watts on that mod. The trade off is that the higher the AMP, the lower the MAH on the batteries so less run time on higher AMP.

There is no real benefit to going high wattage unless you are a cloud chaser and then a single battery mod would not be your best thing to use anyway for that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Beamslider

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. PapawBrett

PapawBrett Travelin' Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    Welcome to the ECF. The Pico is a nice little mod, you should do well with that.
    The next question is - your smoking / vaping style. Do you draw in with your mouth then inhale (Mouth To Lung, or MTL) or do you draw directly into your lungs (DL) ? Many smokers never thought about such things, they just lit up and smoked. But Vaping gear is a little different, you method will direct you to equipment better suited for your own personal needs.
    Good Luck on your Journey.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pod_Vaper

Jan 30, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I'm looking at this particular device for 2 reasons - price and looks. I know neither of those should be a factor. LOL I've seen the Pico 25 recommended quite a bit, so I looked at that and then saw the resin unit.

I'm definitely a MTL vaper and will more than likely use very low wattage since that's what most pod systems are and that's what I'm actually pretty comfortable with. I don't really plan on upgrading again since this is just for home use.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Beamslider

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    The Pico 25's only real advantage is it takes tanks up to 25 mm in diameter while the regular pico only takes 22 maybe 23 mm. The 21700 pico also takes 25 mm tanks and can have longer battery life with a 21700 battery.

The pico's are great long lasting mods. Very sturdy too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  10. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    In that case I would recommend you order the Pico mod only and a separate mtl tank with drop in coils.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Beamslider

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    We have all been there. Not planning on upgrading that is.

:thumbs:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Pod_Vaper

Jan 30, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Awesome price! But they are out of stock. :( Thanks for the heads up, though! :)

Thanks Letitia! I considered that, but being such a newbie, I figured it was easier to go with the kit than to try to figure out compatibility. Although it comes with two sub-ohm coils, I did find 1.0 ohm coils which I hope will be just right for MTL.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Compatibility is not an issue. The 510 connection is so common now. If you are a dedicated mtl vaper you will be happier with a dedicated mtl tank. Either route you choose I wish you happy vaping!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    0BE3ADBD-1B73-4662-A8CC-BA3E789B7D32.jpeg As far as batteries for your new Pico here's a table of recommended 18650 and 20X batteries for it from our battery guru Mooch

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  15. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Mod makers often include a tank to be able to call it a starter kit. Makes consumers believe they are getting more for their money. Truth be told, that doesn't mean the tank will be the right tank for your style of vaping, and doesn't mean it will be a quality tank.

As a relatively "new" vaper, a true Mouth-to-Lung tank with higher ohm coils (above 1.0 ohm) would be to your advantage. I'd suggest an Aspire Nautilus. It's a proven tank, popular, with coils available from almost anywhere, and competitively priced.

Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

Concerning batteries, the Samsung 30Q 3000mAh 15A battery, Sony VTC6 3000mAh 15A, or LG HG2 3000mAh 20A batteries will have more than enough power and use per charge for the Pico.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Sugar_and_Spice

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. PapawBrett

Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Sugar_and_Spice

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    China's New year starts very soon and last for 10 days. That means nothing is coming from China for that time period. Prices may be a little better but this time of year is painfully slow. Who wants to wait a month or longer for a product when for around $3 more you can get it in US?

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  19. PapawBrett

Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    I am not Chinese, so I don't pay much attention to their calendar. My Bad :(

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2
  20. suprtrkr

suprtrkr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Hi and welcome. +1 on the Pico/Nauti comobo. It's a good place to start. With a Nautilus, you won't be vaping above 15 watts maximum, so any quality 20A vaping battery will do nicely. The Samsung 30Q is well thought of and has good life, especially at that low a wattage.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.