Not open for further replies.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
I also wonder if roly or sarge get those annoying popups "navigating away from page - changes in editor will be lost''

edit - never mind, that popup is an internet explorer thing, and neither roly nor sarge use that browser. but that started for us ie users after the november upgrade ......

You will also get those kinds of warnings in Firefox, but it is easy to turn them off.

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
mine is still the same - just the f-connect button .....

bozz, i did some research and it looks as if i got the popup conquered. sure hope i won't have to eat my words.

go to tools - internet options - advanced. then turn off ''Enable native XMLHTTP support" option. i have not been annoyed by the flyby navigation since then ;)

jammydodger

Nov 9, 2011
Dallas
A note that might help some folks -- Check if Chrome has available updates and completely close it occasionally. Chrome seems to avoid forcing updates, but it does seem to be better than FF, Opera or IE at capturing large amounts of system resources if used with 10+ tabs open for a week or more.

...Not that I would ever do such a thing... or be the kind of person who had a .DLL backup library from routinely blowing Win98's mind by keeping a very large number of processes open... or ever crash apps on an entire mac network at a newspaper by having a corrupt font displayed in so many instantiations...

Last edited:

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
mine is still the same - just the f-connect button .....

bozz, i did some research and it looks as if i got the popup conquered. sure hope i won't have to eat my words.

go to tools - internet options - advanced. then turn off ''Enable native XMLHTTP support" option. i have not been annoyed by the flyby navigation since then ;)

Well, since none of that worked for me, I went ahead and installed Fire Fox from Mozilla. I did not set it as my default browser and I named ECF as my home page.

Now all I have to do is click on the FF icon on the desk top, and up pops ECF. It's very fast now, and none of the problems I was having with IE 8.

I still have the IE option on the desk top too.

Last edited:

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
Well, since none of that worked for me, I went ahead and installed Fire Fox from Mozzilla. I did not set it as my default browser and I named ECF as my home page.
Now all I have to do is click on the FF icon on the desk top, and up pops ECF. It's very fast now, and none of the problems I was having with IE 8.

An alternative to installing FireFox is just use the portable version. The portable version will run from a flash drive or just save it to a folder on your hard drive and then create a short cut to run it from there. That way you can use FireFox without its install cluttering up your hard drive and it can be easily deleted when the time comes that you want to get rid of it. The portable version, like the full install, will allow you to use the Ad-Block add-on.

Internet | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives

jericoriver

Please support CASAA
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2009
Midway,Ga.
I did the same. Faster now than ever.

Well, since none of that worked for me, I went ahead and installed Fire Fox from Mozzilla. I did not set it as my default browser and I named ECF as my home page.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Internet Explorer is the default browser in Windows and because of this it is to be expected that there will be a very large number of users. Primarily, these will be people who do not want to investigate improved software for their PC and are happy with the default set-up; and office users who are frequently locked into using the default software.

It's fine to use the default apps that Microsoft provide, but just be aware that they are often not as good as other offerings. IE does work well as a browser and is entirely satisfactory for those who don't want to explore other options. However, there is a downside:

• Technically, it is a poor browser because it is not standards compliant
  • It has some weaknesses that lead to exploits
  • It is heavily attacked by hackers

Because it is a 'rogue' browser (not standards compliant), website developers have to make special arrangements for it in order that it can read a site correctly. This drives them all crazy as it is completely unnecessary, it's just down to poor coding at MS. As a result, whatever other benefits it might have, it is despised by techies.

Traditionally, it has always been the easiest to exploit. This means attackers who have hacked a website (or run attack sites) can more easily get into your PC. That is not to say other browsers have not sinned, just that IE has been the worst. All web software has been exploited at some time - there is no such thing as a web app of any kind that has not had a vulnerability demonstrated, and a website or user PC successfully exploited. However, part of the strength of an app these days (and some would say its most important feature), is how quickly and successfully the app's developers react and fix it. There is no argument here that MS have been by far the worst. If an exploit is discovered in Firefox (as they are, of course), the devs often fix it within a day or two. It has taken MS three months or longer, at times. This is not acceptable.

Because it has weaknesses; because IE users are the most likely of all to have poorly-protected computers; because MS have often taken a long time to fix the problem; and because IE users are the least likely to have a patched and updated browser or other software: attackers concentrate on exploiting IE above all others. Therefore, if you use IE you MUST ensure that your PC is extremely well protected - as it will be attacked, and as the attack is much more likely to be successful than if you are using another browser.

Apart from having a good hardware firewall, a good software firewall, and a good antimalware app, you also need to keep your software updated. This is because many PC apps have vulnerabilities, and if you are using IE, an attacker is more likely to be able to get into your computer and exploit old apps successfully. This means that the hacker can get his software onto your PC and run his own programs, or even control the PC. It is how botnets are run: 20% of all PCs are actually controlled by a 3rd party.

Some of these vulnerable apps are: Java, Adobe PDF Reader, and Adobe Flash. If your run IE then you MUST update these apps regularly.

One of the best ways to do this is to use a free Software Update Manager. Gizmo's Freeware is a good source of excellent free resources like this, it has one of the highest reputations on the net, and has 100,000 visitors a day who use their information. Here is the Software Updater page:
Best Free Software Update Monitor

For an overview of PC security, see this page (especially the links at the foot of the page):
Computer Security Guide

There is nothing wrong with IE, if you like it. After all, that is the main requirement. It's just that you need to be aware of the issues.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
There is nothing wrong with IE, if you like it. After all, that is the main requirement. It's just that you need to be aware of the issues.

Roly, is all that true about IE 9 as well? I've updated to IE 9 and really like it, and, of course, it works seamlessly with my Windows 7, so I'm reluctant to switch to FF. The IE 9 reviews I've read have all been very good...

I have Google Chrome and I don't much care for it.

Thank you for your comments and continuous support, BTW.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Katya, if you like it, then use it, for sure. I don't honestly know what the score is for IE9 - it could be marvellous :)

The history of IE is poor though, IE6 is most techies' #1 vote for the worst web application of all time, and add to that MS' terrible support history; but I suppose it's possible for something to change.

Just be sure to have good security and patch your PC software in a timely way. Use a software update manager to make sure you don't fall behind. Have a scan around Gizmo's, it's a really useful site - it has huge traffic for a very good reason. There are lots of useful doodads to be found there.

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
Katya, I was a bit apprehensive too about installing Fire Fox. Now, I am very glad I did.

During installation it gives you the option to import your faves from IE, and set FF as the default browser. It comes with a basic "getting started" tutorial. If you don't elect to set FF as your default browser, it will just put the FF icon on your desktop and you can use either browser at will.

It was really quick and painless. I'm thinking about setting it as my default browser and uninstalling IE 8.

All websites I visit seem faster to load now. Especially ECF. Went from 70 seconds to 4 seconds.

Roly, thanks for the link to Gizmo's. I'm gonna check it out. I love sites like that. Remember Tucows? LOL

mn shutterbug

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2010
Marshall, MN - USA
Well, since none of that worked for me, I went ahead and installed Fire Fox from Mozilla. I did not set it as my default browser and I named ECF as my home page.

Yep, this worked for me too.

I might be tempted to use this more than IE except that it didn't import my bookmarks like I asked it to.

Last edited:

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
Katya, I was a bit apprehensive too about installing Fire Fox. Now, I am very glad I did.

During installation it gives you the option to import your faves from IE, and set FF as the default browser. It comes with a basic "getting started" tutorial. If you don't elect to set FF as your default browser, it will just put the FF icon on your desktop and you can use either browser at will.

It was really quick and painless. I'm thinking about setting it as my default browser and uninstalling IE 8.

All websites I visit seem faster to load now. Especially ECF. Went from 70 seconds to 4 seconds.

Roly, thanks for the link to Gizmo's. I'm gonna check it out. I love sites like that. Remember Tucows? LOL

bozz, be careful - i believe you need ie for windows updates ......

progg

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread