Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
i started vaping deliberately.

I knew I had to take an anti-anxiety med so I did some research and found out they were basically all awful. They’re all addictive, they all have really nasty side effects, they’re all hard on your organs.
There was one exception though. The least damaging one with the fewest side effects was also one of the most powerful AND the fastest acting and it was non-prescription: Nicotine.

I’d been a smoker in college and cigarettes very nearly killed me. I managed to stop smoking only because the damage was so bad I could literally no longer smoke.

E-cigarettes changed that though. Not all the problems were gone. It was still addictive, but it was something I already knew was effective for me, and side effects were near zero. Plus it wouldn’t kill me.

So I jumped on the band-wagon

It seemed at the time the best safest choice. Now it’s starting to look like the rug is about to be pulled out from under me and 22 million other people. Americans have been using nicotine to control anxiety problems for a long long time. Now it is going to be removed, mostly for profit.

I can’t go back to cigarettes. I will die.

What I’m worried about now, is when the stuff stops being cheaply available there’s going to be a massive massive surge of mental illness in the US.

Anxiety problems are one of the most common mental ailments there is. Something like 1/3rd of people have anxiety problems. A lot of smokers who can’t seem to quit have that problem because when they lose their medication they GET anxiety problems. Even worse, people who didn’t have anxiety problems may now GET them.

It looks like I’m going to have to opt for a lower quality med. it’s going to change my medication regimen, it’s not unlikely the first one or two I try won’t even work, because that’s how these thing are, and the meds are going to cause other problems in my life.

How many people won’t though? How many people are going to flush marriages, lose jobs, or have their lives destroyed because they never knew they even had an anxiety problem, they were just smokers? How many people who didn’t have these problems are now going to for years to come?
There are going to be people who aren’t willing to seek medical help and simply tough it out. It’s going to be chaos.

Nicotine is calming and helps with focus. People are going to lose that. Some high stress professions have a very high percentage of smokers. Those jobs may become undoable for a lot of people.

Increases in rage based crime may rise dramatically. Some professions may experience much higher turnover.

It could be a real mess. Just because some exceptionally rich people want to stay exceptionally rich.

This whole thing makes me angry.

I agree with you on nicotine being addictive and helpful in clearing the mind.
I picked a target nicotine mg. number seven years past. 8 mg. was my target at the age of 60, to reducing my nicotine dependency. Just dropping .01 mg a month I don't notice the any withdraws. I currently have no desire to go below 8 mg. In time I many continue to drop further, if a wild hair hits to totally quit, and/or if nicotine base becomes taxed excessively; such as automotive fuel.
Nicotine is a legal substance and that shouldn't change.
I mix, don't buy any premixed. I figure flavoring will always be available as will PG and VG.

Reactions: Izan

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
bomb. s ince you know it's coming, there's no excuse for not getting a lifetime supply.
There is. I’ve been vaping for 10 years now, and my numbers havent gone down, they’ve gone up. Expected in my situation, but I don’t know what a lifetime supply in my situation even is. At some point I’m going to have to do the two year horror of a med change. Best to do it while I’m still young enough to survive it.
22 million other people are going to have some sort of similar problem though and a lot of them don’t even know they HAVE a problem.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
There is. I’ve been vaping for 10 years now, and my numbers havent gone down, they’ve gone up. Expected in my situation, but I don’t know what a lifetime supply in my situation even is. At some point I’m going to have to do the two year horror of a med change. Best to do it while I’m still young enough to survive it.
22 million other people are going to have some sort of similar problem though and a lot of them don’t even know they HAVE a problem.
Bomb

@mikepetro has a calculator that is very helpful in this situation. Just play with your numbers, you enter what it is you are using now and you can up it if unsure of the future. It will at least give you a ball park estimate. Better than nothing, I think. I have tagged Mike and hopefully he will be along soon to provide a link. Sry I dont remember what that link is.

:)

Reactions: bombastinator

icepickmaker84

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2019
Indiana
What nic mg do you vape?

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
What nic mg do you vape?
I haven’t been measuring super close. 5-7 dL, which is what I’ve done lately. I mixed some 10 though recently and it’s clearly better. Most of my backup attys are mtl though. Hardware I got a lot of. Most of my backups are old though which means MTL. When I quit dL I was down to 12mg, but I suspect 18-24.

• Optimistic

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
ill be honest here, but if you have medically diagnosed anxiety, self medicating isn't a good thing.

For medical inquiry I'd speak with a physician, because I can't see how nicotine can help someone with a real disorder..

It could be I don't know much about it, my son is ADHD and higher levels of nicotine is good for him, and most days he doesn't need drugs like Ritalin.. but he's not self medicating either, as he is under doctors care and they know what he does..

I just think nothing can replace speaking to your doctor..

As far as what others have said, stock up on nicotine. Buy what you need and stick it in the freezer.. no need to worry about not having it. Learn DIY. Buy a small freezer dedicated for your nicotine.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
ill be honest here, but if you have medically diagnosed anxiety, self medicating isn't a good thing.

For medical inquiry I'd speak with a physician, because I can't see how nicotine can help someone with a real disorder..

It could be I don't know much about it, my son is ADHD and higher levels of nicotine is good for him, and most days he doesn't need drugs like Ritalin.. but he's not self medicating either, as he is under doctors care and they know what he does..

I just think nothing can replace speaking to your doctor..

As far as what others have said, stock up on nicotine. Buy what you need and stick it in the freezer.. no need to worry about not having it. Learn DIY. Buy a small freezer dedicated for your nicotine.
Doctor wasn’t available for nicotine. It’s not really prescribed. Everything known about it was worked out in the 60’s. It’s definitely powerful though. They compared it to drugs that were available at the time.

The big win with it was it’s short blood level life. Part of the problem is my anxiety tends to vary and spike. Sometimes it’s practically not there. Ecigs are terrific because if I feel my anxiety going through the roof I can just go out and have a smoke. When I’m not anxious I smoke less. Transparently variable. I tried patches but they had the issue of being both more and a lot less variable. My drawdown plan is to use my last bottle to make patches.

• Optimistic

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Doctor wasn’t available for nicotine. It’s not really prescribed. Everything known about it was worked out in the 60’s. It’s definitely powerful though. They compared it to drugs that were available at the time.

The big win with it was it’s short blood level life. Part of the problem is my anxiety tends to vary and spike. Sometimes it’s practically not there. Ecigs are terrific because if I feel my anxiety going through the roof I can just go out and have a smoke. When I’m not anxious I smoke less. Transparently variable. I tried patches but they had the issue of being both more and a lot less variable. My drawdown plan is to use my last bottle to make patches.

Just to share my experience with patches. They do delivery nicotine, but at a constant rate. But with smoking or vaping, we intake when we feel it is needed. As you stated, if your feel nicotine was not needed, you did not smoke or vape. Or performed either less. But the patch cannot account for stress or other factors that may trigger that craving. I always looked forward to waking in the morning, brewing a fresh pot of coffee and chain smoking like 10 cigs one after another while drinking a cup of java. This is obviously me, but the patch just could not deliver. However, vaping could because I had control. But I do not think it was just nicotine that I craved with my cup of joe. It was that sensation of also inhaling something other than oxygen, which is another reason why I think vaping is more successful than other nic delivery systems.

Another fault with patches, as your body temp heat up, your pores expand thus increasing the nic delivery. I struggled with constant dizziness cause of this when using the patch. Not to mention sweat played a role in the patches adhesiveness.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Just to share my experience with patches. They do delivery nicotine, but at a constant rate. But with smoking or vaping, we intake when we feel it is needed. As you stated, if your feel nicotine was not needed, you did not smoke or vape. Or performed either less. But the patch cannot account for stress or other factors that may trigger that craving. I always looked forward to waking in the morning, brewing a fresh pot of coffee and chain smoking like 10 cigs one after another while drinking a cup of java. This is obviously me, but the patch just could not deliver. However, vaping could because I had control. But I do not think it was just nicotine that I craved with my cup of joe. It was that sensation of also inhaling something other than oxygen, which is another reason why I think vaping is more successful than other nic delivery systems.

Another fault with patches, as your body temp heat up, your pores expand thus increasing the nic delivery. I struggled with constant dizziness cause of this when using the patch. Not to mention sweat played a role in the patches adhesiveness.
Yep. They suck.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
There are other NRT options besides just patches: gum, lozenges, oral spray --- you could use the lowest dose patches to maintain a low-level baseline, and use the spray or lozenges when you need to kick it up. Or, just buy a little freezer and enough nicotine to not worry.

Iron Molly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
State of Anxiety
Not sure if these would work for you at all, but perhaps worth a try. I also suffer from anxiety, and now use Valerian and also Hops, capsule form, when needed. I always THINK it's not working, but then I realize, hey, I'm much calmer. No Rx meds for me anymore! :) I do also vape with no intention of stopping. If I run out of nic, perhaps I'd try snus, or that new spray.

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
You can make your own DIY nic sprays and DIY lozenges. I'm playing with a spray atm and it uses most of my DIY stuff, quality nicotine and VG\PG. I can also use flavors again at no risk. Playing with pH as well with malic acid.

Its something I overlooked before I started vaping unfortunately as I had already given up smoking many years before. I use nicotine for its effect on a few of my 'issues'. But I'm not one to shy away from established medication either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread