Status
Not open for further replies.

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
brass not only is not harmful but its antimicrobial too. Brass doesnt rust inside liquid. Liquid protects brass from tarnish. We cant have brass in mouthpieces because they get tarnished and we have it all day in our mouth. But for AVS is maybe the best choice. Hospitals are making brass switches to avoid dispersing of microbials. So dont worry, you are more than safe as you see Tommy

Zaiden

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2010
Ohio
The brass won't always be submerged in liquid. I would think it will definitely tarnish in the AVS. Any chance of creating one in aluminum? Seems like that would be a better choice.

Edit: Imeo, didn't you also say you would never make a brass AVS because brass is bad for your health? I bought the 510 adapter from Rob, but now I'm wondering if I should be using it. Please let me know your thoughts!

Last edited:

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
tarnish and liquid traces are different things Zai. If you notice that brass has a brown colour inside AVS is not because it has been tarnished. To see if I am correct use soap and water to clean it using a toothbrush to go inside knurned parts. You will see that it will be new again

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Zai, I will tell you why I said some months ago that I will not make a brass AVS. Its because I knew that the tarnish of brass was not the best for our health. But after a small research I made via internet the last days I saw that our liquid totally protects brass from tarnish. I knew that liquid had the same effect to aluminium, thats why our tanks are totally clean inside, but I didnt knew that about brass. So a brass AVS is not a bad idea. It will be heavy but slick too. Of course if the rest of GG is still made from aluminium then the weight will not be very noticeable because the caps of AVS will stay aluminium.

We will see in a later time buddy what we will do about it

Probably need a bit of a poll MWA. I read the Russian sites and there are some there keen on SS or titanium. But if we go back to when alloy or dual tone was available most choose dual tone in spite of it's cleaning short comings purely for looks when it was shined up.

It's very hard to please all and there would be manufacturing issues too I guess.

capecodjim

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2010
Cape Cod
Here's a thread about brass and e-juice with this pic of juice turned green:

1111.jpg

Zaiden

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2010
Ohio
Here is the best article about metals that I've found. Imeo, I personally think you should rethink the AVS and the 510 adapter. I know it may be heavier, but my health is number 1. Price shouldn't matter if you have 100% peace of mind. I'm speaking of stainless steel construction per article.

Far to many things to quote…

Brass, Bronze, Aluminum, Titanium and POS (Plain old Steel) should all be avoided for applications coming in contact with e-Juice. They are all considered Reactive metal alloys and will form Oxides that should not be ingested. Stainless Steel (SS) alloys would be the metal of choice.

Stainless Steels primary alloys are Chromium and Nickel. It is the Chromium that gives SS it corrosion resistance and part of it’s strength. The more Chromium in SS, the higher the corrosion resistance. Nickel is added to give toughness and strength to SS alloys. To be considered a TRUE SS, an alloy should contain at least 12% Chromium and 3% Nickel. The maximum effective amount of Chromium in SS is around 20%

No SS alloys with 12% Chromium or higher will “rust”, form Iron-Oxides. They form Chromium Oxides which breaks the Oxygen / Iron Redox.

304 SS is an Excellent Alloy. High Chromium and about 10% Nickel. It is also a tough metal to machine, drill or cut threads in.

440 SS is also an Excellent choice when maximum strength is not required. It has high amounts of Chromium and no Nickel. It is not considered to be a True SS because of it’s lack of Nickel. But it is MUCH easier to machine / Fabricate due to the fact that it contain no Nickel.

All the 4xx series SS alloys were develop to aid manufacturing were ultimate strength were not needed. Their prices are somewhat less than 3xx series SS alloys. For the amount you would use for a e-Cig mod, price is going to be a real factor verse a health risk.

No matter what SS alloy you consider, it’s the Higher amounts of Chromium will provide higher levels of corrosion resistance. Not the series. For any given percentage of Chromium, I would always suggest that you try to use a 4xx series because it is Much easier to work with.

But realistically, any SS you buy is going to be fine.

If you into reading about metal alloys or teach Metallurgy courses, you might consider the link below. It is a good site to reference metals.

MatWeb - The Online Materials Information Resource

MatWeb - The Online Materials Information Resource

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Zai, I read this but I was trying to find from where the guy that made this post took the info. I also went to the site he mentioned but I didnt find any info about this. Maybe I didnt look well. I would like to see what this site says about this issue. But keep in mind that PG is made to protect brass and other metals from tarnish. That is the fact here. If you can send me new info about this I will read it with pleassure

Zaiden

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2010
Ohio
It seems that this might or might not be an issue. However, we KNOW that stainless steel is not an issue. Why take the risk at all? This is unchartered territory and I think we should take every precaution we can when vaping. Why not just create some stainless steel AVS and adapters and let the consumer decide? Heck...I'll even pay for this upfront and wait til it's sent out to me. I'd be willing to bet a lot of us would do the same.

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Zai, please look here:

Corrosion Inhibited Propylene Glycol

We will not change the design because someone said something. Anyone has an opinion. I will tell you my opinion about stainless steel. It contains Nickel. If someone is allergic to nickel like our friend Lord here on forum or like my daughter, will have serious sympoms by inhaling from a tube made from steel, yes? Every metal has his issues and I believe that brass is the one with the less of them. Also brass is still used for water pipes.

Also dont forget to check your AVS inside. Is it totally clean? You see that aluminium cant get tarnished because of the liquid inside?

Last edited:

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
if the AVS runs dry the liquid still remains inside stucked on the walls if you dont wash it. Also its sealed so no tarnish. As for the fact that you maybe want to change the connector, then you can clean the connector before put it inside AVS. You can take a toothbrush and toothpaste and in 1 min the connector is clean again

capecodjim

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2010
Cape Cod
Zai, please look here:

Corrosion Inhibited Propylene Glycol

We will not change the design because someone said something. Anyone has an opinion. I will tell you my opinion about stainless steel. It contains Nickel. If someone is allergic to nickel like our friend Lord here on forum or like my daughter, will have serious sympoms by inhaling from a tube made from steel, yes? Every metal has his issues and I believe that brass is the one with the less of them. Also brass is still used for water pipes.

Also dont forget to check your AVS inside. Is it totally clean? You see that aluminium cant get tarnished because of the liquid inside?

From the link you provided (bold added):

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

"Corrosion Inhibited Propylene Glycol
Corrosion Inhibited Propylene Glycol is a heat transfer fluid that is 95% solution of glycol designed for use in hydronic systems. The inhibitor is blended in at 3.6%, which means you can dilute the glycol down to 20% solution with water and still have good corrosion protection. The inhibitor system is designed to protect metals commonly found in mechanical systems such as brass, copper, solder, steel, and cast iron.

Corrosion Inhibited Propylene Glycol is commonly used in glycol chillers and systems that require freeze protection below 32F."

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

That PG has a chemical corrosion inhibitor added to it as a special purpose additive. It's designed for an anti-freeze solution so it won't corrode. Without the additive the brass will react (or they wouldn't need the additive!).

The picture above with the green juice was after a month in the liquid. It's easy enough to test.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread