Status
Not open for further replies.

Huggy Bear

Verified Member
Feb 16, 2014
Washington, Missouri USA
Hi everyone. Got my Sigelei 20W in the mail today and I absolutely love it. For some reason mine didn't come with an instruction manual, and the one online is in pretty broken English. My question has to do with the battery voltage drop on my display. I know that under load some battery drop is to be expected, but what are safe limits? I have used two failry new Sony VTC4s that both drop to about 3.4-3.5 volts when firing, and a panasonic 3400mah cell that is dropping to 3.1-3.2 volts. All I have used so far are Aspire Nautilus tanks with 1.6-1.7 ohm stock coils vaped from 7-11.5 watts, and a few Aspire BDC tanks with 1.8 ohm stock coils set to 7-9 watts. I am afraid to throw on my Taifun with a 1.2 ohm coil until I can figure out if my batteries are on their way out. The last thing I want is a battery melting my face off, so any advice would be very helpful.

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Your Sigelei 20W will give you a warning and stop firing when your battery is at 3.2 volts. That's a safe level - a lot of pvs have a shut down in the 3.2 -3.4 v range. If you use AW IMRs you don't want to go below 2.5 volts - your pv won't let your battery drain down to that voltage so its fine. Staying above 3 volts is optimal for batteries which is why these pvs cut off before that.
It will fire coils 0.65 ohms and above, so you need to stay over that. 0.6 ohms and under it won't fire. These are built in safety precautions.

Here's some info from World of Vape:
Usage Comments:
Error Codes:
Low Res: Low resistance when the coil is 0.6 or below
Low Bat: Low battery voltage when the battery is discharged below 3.2V
HHHH: High Input Voltage when the input battery power if above 5V

Last edited:

Huggy Bear

Verified Member
Feb 16, 2014
Washington, Missouri USA
Thanks kiwivap. What I am really curious about is battery sag, or voltage drop when firing. My battery is sitting at 4 volts right now, but the Sigelei displays voltage under load when firing as well as resting voltage. At 4 volts, it drops to 3.43 volts when firing with a panasonic 3400mah battery. I also have some high drain batteries I will use for my rebuildables, and they drop quite a bit under load as well. I guess what I am really asking is if the voltage drop is battery sag when under load or just the inefficiency of the mod (or a combination of both)? Also, could I use this info to determine if I need to replace my batteries? The Sony high drains are practically brand new, while the Panasonics are 1-2 months old.

Last edited:

ForeverDiving

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2014
Uruapan, Michoacan, Mexico.
I've had mine for over a week. Great mod, built like a main battle tank. I've been using mine with a Kayfun clone dual coiled with 28ga Kanthal and cotton or silica, rated at 1.1Ω and pulling 13W. Efest 2500mAh 35A in the tube. Works beautifully but heats the Kfun like a pressing iron! There's not much to the menu or operation that you can get from the crappy manual. Better check the P. Busardo or Rip Trippers video reviews in You Tube. In any case, the operation is pretty simple, just one adjustment (W), up or down. Nothing more. The info is good but there's not much that you can do about it other than crank up or down the power.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Thanks kiwivap. What I am really curious about is battery sag, or voltage drop when firing. My battery is sitting at 4 volts right now, but the Sigelei displays voltage under load when firing as well as resting voltage. At 4 volts, it drops to 3.43 volts when firing with a panasonic 3400mah battery. I also have some high drain batteries I will use for my rebuildables, and they drop quite a bit under load as well. I guess what I am really asking is if the voltage drop is battery sag when under load or just the inefficiency of the mod (or a combination of both)? Also, could I use this info to determine if I need to replace my batteries? The Sony high drains are practically brand new, while the Panasonics are 1-2 months old.

Huggy what I'm wondering here is if what you are seeing is the voltage required for the watts you set - the output needed.
For example, you said you used a 1.6 ohm coil at 7 watts. That requires 3.346 volts.

This thread, starting from this linked post might be of some help.

There's a bunch of owners there that have looked at this - both voltage drop under load and output voltage. Its hard to say without seeing what you see - just seems weird all your batteries are doing this, huh.

Last edited:

Huggy Bear

Verified Member
Feb 16, 2014
Washington, Missouri USA
Thanks Kiwi. That is exactly what I needed. I searched for battery sag and stuff and came up empty. As for the voltage reading being the required voltage, the 20W has no step down feature, so if you try and vape below the battery's nominal voltage (3.7 volts) you wind up just getting the nominal. I actually discovered this because it wouldn't vape below 8.5 watts with the 1.6 ohm heads. Also, firing the mod without an atty shows no voltage drop (or very little), as it isn't experiencing any load. Again, thanks for the thread find, I was looking in the wrong places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread