some recommendations for a step-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitsch

Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I've been looking to expand my vaping horizons (lol) and have been scoping out some new models. so far I'm kind of confused with which one to try.

i'm turned off by bulky mods and wouldn't be interested in them for vaping in public. i currently use either the bloog Maxxfusion or the Volt from smokeless image. i like the size and portability of them. Right now i've been checking out the eGo and the Riva (is there a difference? lol hopeless). i don't mind the fatter battery and def like the idea of more vaping time versus charging.

i'm also confused about tanks and drip tips and all this other :censored:. sorry, totally feel like an idiot here. i've been watching video reviews and everything. if someone could explain this to me in special-ed terms or maybe give me some other recommendations, that would be AWESOME.

my main thing is that i'm looking for something with a longer batt life and maybe a bit more hit since i vape at only 6mg nic. any help would be seriously appreciated.

thanks!
kitsch

WalksWithWiFi

ECF Veteran
ego's and riva's are pretty much the almost exact same animal, cept the rivas supposedly have a lil bit more kick.
they are both "ego" style 510(the connection type of threads)battery...
it is a bit confusing at first, i agree.
The ego style is pretty much your go to for simplicity if you don't want to get into the modding scene with protected batteries/mods and such.
with a cone the ego style battery at around 650 mAh is the size of a small stubby cigar..pretty sure the official joye ego batts come in pink too =p
you can pretty much use whatever you have been using with your volt/bloog bats with the egos, you just have to get it in a 510 connection type if you take that step.
I am a big fan of liberty flights for cost/warranty on ego batteries(they warranty them for 6 months)
also, as far as i know, and i may be wrong, if you wanted to get a riva kit...pretty much, a knock off ego clone i guess, they are a lil cheaper...and i have only found them at liberty flights

VpnDrgn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
Gulfport, MS.
A short step up would be the Ego or Riva ( they are basically the same ). They are both available with atty/tank systems.
Search 510T on youtube to get an idea of these tank systems. A little bigger step ( and a little more expensive ) would
be a GLV2 super mini from Greatlakesvapor.com. It is small and uses a 750 mAh battery which is about twice the battery
life of your bloogs and can be used with most aftermarket tank systems and any cartos like what you use on the bloogs.
Something cheaper but similar to the GLV2 would be the rough stack from Madvapes.com.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
First: Please cease and desist calling yourself "hopeless" and an "idiot"! None of us were born with vaping knowledge. Being a newbie is no sin. [Although as a seasoned Kr8 user, you already are beyond the newbie stage. You could teach many people here about that model.]

There are differences in the mosfet between the eGo and Riva (e.g., the Riva cannot be used with the Ego Booster), but for most purposes (e.g., yours), you can think of the Riva as a less expensive, higher mAh and higher voltage eGo. [The basic eGo is 650 mAh and 3.2V; the Riva is 750 mAh and 3.7V.] The additional mAh will give you slightly more vaping time between charges and the higher voltage will give you slightly "more hit."

You can pick up a Riva-510 kit for $30 from Liberty-Flights. [Click on the "20% Discount" icon in the upper left of the screen first, in order to see that price.] It's call the "Lite Bundle" although there is nothing "lite" about it: a full two-battery/two-atomizer kit with fast-charger.

The main thing that will get you is a good pair of batteries on which to use your choice from among myriad atomizers, tanks, and cartomizers. Personally, I don't like the tanks. Atomizers are best used with direct dripping (which requires frequent modest effort). Trying to use them with cartridges is an exercise in frustration. [Carts simply don't deliver e-liquid to the atty effectively.]

I recommend the type of thing you are already well used to: cartomizers. With an inexpensive 510-808/910 adapter, you could continue to use your Bloog and VOLT cartomizers on the Riva, but I urge you to try some of the 510 cartomizers. Virtually all of them come blank, so you'll need to fill them from scratch with your own e-liquid. [Very easy to do and takes me no more than two minutes, even with the mega cartos.]

My favorite 510 cartomizers to date are the Smok Tech Mega Dual Coils and Smok Tech 1.7 ohm Mega Single Coils ("Resurrector"). [The dual coils work great at 3.7V (or even higher voltage), but are not quite intense enough for me on the 3.2V eGo. On that, I prefer the Resurrector.] The former are available from many suppliers, e.g., LiteCigUSA has a good price. Both are available at good prices from Crystal Clear Vaping: either five-pack or 15-carto/2-drip-tip bundles.

NOTE: If you are intrigued by the Dual Coils, consider spending an additional $6 on your Liberty-Flights Riva-510 kit to get the "Carto Deluxe (DUAL COIL)" kit, which includes five of those cartos, instead of two atomizers that you might never use.

As the name implies, drip tips can be used to fill atomizers and cartomizers without having to remove the mouthpiece. But they are not only for direct dripping. Many us us find them to be more comfortable mouthpieces than the ones that come with attys or the absence of a real mouthpiece on cartos. I also use them to top off my cartomizers. You can get drip tips from almost any vaping supplier these days (including those from which you would order your battery kit and cartos). There are all kinds of variations, but two main categories: metal (e.g., steel or aluminum) and delrin. Since I like color coordination, I use metal on my chrome and stainless steel batts and cartos and black delrin on my black ones.

birdbrains

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2011
New York, NY
DonDaBoom is right on! When I took my first step up from my Volt I went with an E-Power (ego/Riva clone with slightly bigger batt-1050 mAh) and dual coil Smoktech cartos. Definitely a bigger kick to the vape although there are some juices I still prefer on the Volt. I end up using them about equally I'd say although I am definitely glad I have it for those times when I really want to kick it up a notch.

My only thing is when I'm out smoking at bars with friends the E-Power is still a little too "dong-ish" for me.

I'll throw out a plug for either of the REO minis. They're smaller than you think and really awesome.

I know Rivas are less expensive than eGos by $20 or so for a kit (and lots of people, many of whom are very well respected like Don, swear by them), and this is very attractive to people. However, I must say that as someone who has done a fair bit of experimenting on both Rivas and eGos I find that there is a definite difference in quality.

I have blown up many Rivas just by drawing a little too much current out of the device. I find that if you just push the Riva a little beyond its normal operating range, POOF! It dies instantly. And sometimes it dies in very unsafe ways (like locking on, which seems incredibly dangerous to me). Quite frankly, Rivas kinda scare me for this reason, and I just don't trust them.

I have not blown up a single eGo. Not one. And I've pushed these devices over their limits many times. What I find is they shut down, quite safely, and if you give them a minute (I guess to cool down) they work just fine. I have also not had a single
unit lock on.

Now take this as just one man's opinion/experience - you own experience (and others) may vary.

Also, you need to be careful because many vendors selling "Egos" are not selling genuine Joye eGos, they are knockoffs that often are of poor quality. Unfortunately there seem to be some, shall we say "unscrupulous" (or perhaps just unaware) sellers that are trying to pass off gear as one thing that's something else.

I guess my point is always deal with respected dealers with a good rep, that way if you do have a problem they will take care if it.

Yeah, I saw that too, however don't be deceived by the fact that the batteries and circuit boards LOOK the same into thinking that they ARE the same.

For instance there is such a thing as factory seconds, where a factory keeps the best stuff for their own product and sells the production that doesn't quite meet muster to other manufacturers who put it in their product. I'm not necessarily saying that's what's going on here, but it would explain how one product is able to be sold more cheaply than another, even though they are made in the same factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread