somedays rebuildables literally ruin my day. beyond annoyed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin King

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2012
PA
just had a perfect setup on my orion, 5/4 wrap of 28g kanthal 500 mesh, about 2 weeks old, then all of a sudden horrible flavor that taste like straight up metal. no hotspots or anything so i have no clue why this happened. im not a noob either so this is just really pi**ing me the eff off!

if im doing the peter k method, there should be ZERO gaps between the coil and wick correct??? like absolutely none? cuz that is the main reason i am thinking this is happening. even tho my coils are usually perfect because im so .... and OCD about having a good coil. if i taste the slightest metalic taste i will be annoyed and not vape it until its good. im thinking i should just go back to wrapping it the normal way with a more solid wick

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
just had a perfect setup on my orion, 5/4 wrap of 28g kanthal 500 mesh, about 2 weeks old, then all of a sudden horrible flavor that taste like straight up metal. no hotspots or anything so i have no clue why this happened. im not a noob either so this is just really pi**ing me the eff off!

if im doing the peter k method, there should be ZERO gaps between the coil and wick correct??? like absolutely none? cuz that is the main reason i am thinking this is happening. even tho my coils are usually perfect because im so .... and OCD about having a good coil. if i taste the slightest metalic taste i will be annoyed and not vape it until its good. im thinking i should just go back to wrapping it the normal way with a more solid wick

either that or ceramic, never ever any metalic taste in ceramic, it is just pure flavor.

eddiezheadiez

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Boston
A metallic taste IS a short. As I don't think there is any other way for that taste to be created. I'm pretty sure it's caused by the short actually melting the SS mesh or superheating it and releasing fumes. Just because it can't be seen doesn't mean it's not there. You should not vape it if you taste that metallic taste. Metal fumes are no good.

SteveW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Australia
either that or ceramic, never ever any metalic taste in ceramic, it is just pure flavor.

I have to echo this sentiment. I have gone from stainless to ceramic and even my best stainless wick does not hold a candle to the flavor I am getting from ceramic. I will NEVER go back. They are truly amazing.

hippieben

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2012
Sarasota, FL
You should learn how to wrap a coil without using the drill bit. All these "methods" are tricks for when you can't get it the "right" way (obviously there is no right way, this is just my opinion). Genesis atomizers all come down to getting a feel for the proper amount of tension when wrapping your coil. You should only need to gently poke the coil a few times to get it perfect. Wrapping the coil around a drill bit, pulling the drill bit out, inserting your wick, adjusting the thickness of your wick, repeat just adds far too many variables. Practice, practice, practice, and have a backup. Eventually you'll be able to get it perfect every time, the first time.

Your wick is probably fine (unless the short has cut a hole in it). Whether you need to tweak your rolling method for it to wick well with the viscosity of your juice is another matter, but worry about getting a good coil before worrying about whether you need to tip or not. Also, don't just jump on porous ceramic and think it's the perfect answer; it's not the be all and end all. Sure, it won't short, but it's very fragile, takes a long time to get up to temperature, and stays hot much longer. This is the world of genesis atomizers, the promise of frustration and the possibility of an excellent vape.

Check out Zen's videos on youtube, keeping a moderate amount of tension, spinning the mod, and simply guiding the wire onto the wick works best for me. Believe me, I've tried all the methods out there, and the only way to do it is to practice and get that magic touch.

Last edited:

Kevin King

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2012
PA
my wicking is fine. it just always something wrong with my coil. I wrap them perfectly it seems. no gaps, even wraps, and the whole nine yards but then itll just start tasting like crap. does not make sense to me. even after I rebuild a whole new wick and coil I never get good taste right off the bat. extremely frustrating

hippieben

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2012
Sarasota, FL
my wicking is fine. it just always something wrong with my coil. I wrap them perfectly it seems. no gaps, even wraps, and the whole nine yards but then itll just start tasting like crap. does not make sense to me. even after I rebuild a whole new wick and coil I never get good taste right off the bat. extremely frustrating

My guess is that they're too tight, you may be too focused on getting them "prefect" that you're putting them on way too tight. Sometimes it's the worst looking coils that perform the best. Can you post some pictures of a coil you've got wrapped? Sometimes a coil wire develop hot spots over time, perhaps by being shifted around by use or expansion / contraction by heating and cooling.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
You should learn how to wrap a coil without using the drill bit. All these "methods" are tricks for when you can't get it the "right" way (obviously there is no right way, this is just my opinion). Genesis atomizers all come down to getting a feel for the proper amount of tension when wrapping your coil. You should only need to gently poke the coil a few times to get it perfect. Wrapping the coil around a drill bit, pulling the drill bit out, inserting your wick, adjusting the thickness of your wick, repeat just adds far too many variables. Practice, practice, practice, and have a backup. Eventually you'll be able to get it perfect every time, the first time.

Your wick is probably fine (unless the short has cut a hole in it). Whether you need to tweak your rolling method for it to wick well with the viscosity of your juice is another matter, but worry about getting a good coil before worrying about whether you need to tip or not. Also, don't just jump on porous ceramic and think it's the perfect answer; it's not the be all and end all. Sure, it won't short, but it's very fragile, takes a long time to get up to temperature, and stays hot much longer. This is the world of genesis atomizers, the promise of frustration and the possibility of an excellent vape.

Check out Zen's videos on youtube, keeping a moderate amount of tension, spinning the mod, and simply guiding the wire onto the wick works best for me. Believe me, I've tried all the methods out there, and the only way to do it is to practice and get that magic touch.

ceramic may not be the end all, but imo, it is a better vape. the flavor of ceramic is by far more superior then ss. imo i dont think this can be debated, to me flavor is the key, finding the best way to get the best flavor should be what you strive for. the only valid point to what you have stated is that it is more fragile. actually only the smaller 3/32 wicks are, the 1/8 ceramic wicks are pretty strong. you are not going to break the 1/8 wicks just by wrapping the coil, you would have to force one for it to snap. they are however hard to get, and they are pricey at the moment.

Kevin King

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2012
PA
just set up a perfect coil using peter K method. 5/4 wrap 28g kanthal, unoxidized 500, 2 inch straw(ish) mesh wick. got all the hot spots out, was definitely not too tight and was not too loose, it was in there exactly as it should be... but still horrible taste. ran about 2ml of my only good juice thru it before I started vaping too, I really do not know what is wrong here.

hippieben

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2012
Sarasota, FL
just set up a perfect coil using peter K method. 5/4 wrap 28g kanthal, unoxidized 500, 2 inch straw(ish) mesh wick. got all the hot spots out, was definitely not too tight and was not too loose, it was in there exactly as it should be... but still horrible taste. ran about 2ml of my only good juice thru it before I started vaping too, I really do not know what is wrong here.

It doesn't sound like you've changed how you're doing it at all. Clearly the peter K method isn't "perfect" for you. Unless you're just looking to vent about how frustrating genesis is (and it is), you may just want to try something else.

hippieben

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2012
Sarasota, FL
ceramic may not be the end all, but imo, it is a better vape. the flavor of ceramic is by far more superior then ss. imo i dont think this can be debated, to me flavor is the key, finding the best way to get the best flavor should be what you strive for. the only valid point to what you have stated is that it is more fragile. actually only the smaller 3/32 wicks are, the 1/8 ceramic wicks are pretty strong. you are not going to break the 1/8 wicks just by wrapping the coil, you would have to force one for it to snap. they are however hard to get, and they are pricey at the moment.

Full disclosure, I haven't had a chance to try ceramic yet.

Kevin King

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2012
PA
yes sorry, I am venting because It helps me.. kinda. lol but anyways, the only reason im doing the peter k method is because its always worked before, and just for the past 2 days I can NOT get a good vape going and im just stumped. when I wrap the coil the regular way it always seems to dig into my wick too much and disfigure it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread