somedays rebuildables literally ruin my day. beyond annoyed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippieben

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2012
Sarasota, FL
should I hit my kanthal with a lighter before wrapping the coil? just trying to see if this consistent metal taste is coming from something small/dumb

It may help. I do find that new wick / coil has a bit of an off taste (notice it much more with silica though). The main thing that running a lighter over your wire before wrapping does is to take some of the spring out of it; get it red hot, then run it between your fingers to get it straight again. What may be happening is that your kanthal could be changing shape when you fire your coil.

budynbuick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
michigan
A metallic taste IS a short. As I don't think there is any other way for that taste to be created. I'm pretty sure it's caused by the short actually melting the SS mesh or superheating it and releasing fumes. Just because it can't be seen doesn't mean it's not there. You should not vape it if you taste that metallic taste. Metal fumes are no good.

Yep. Just had to deal with one. I hit the wick with the top cap arrrgggg! I use a short SS wick so its easy dealing with this problem cause I don't have to empty AGA-T tank. Plus,since I vape horizontal, the short wick works great. It doesn't stay covered in juice so it helps prevent 'back wicking' into the juice. Real easy for maintaining as well. If the wick is not completely dry,it can be difficult pin pointing a 'hotspot'. Good luck!

budynbuick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
michigan
You should learn how to wrap a coil without using the drill bit. All these "methods" are tricks for when you can't get it the "right" way (obviously there is no right way, this is just my opinion). Genesis atomizers all come down to getting a feel for the proper amount of tension when wrapping your coil. You should only need to gently poke the coil a few times to get it perfect. Wrapping the coil around a drill bit, pulling the drill bit out, inserting your wick, adjusting the thickness of your wick, repeat just adds far too many variables. Practice, practice, practice, and have a backup. Eventually you'll be able to get it perfect every time, the first time.

Your wick is probably fine (unless the short has cut a hole in it). Whether you need to tweak your rolling method for it to wick well with the viscosity of your juice is another matter, but worry about getting a good coil before worrying about whether you need to tip or not. Also, don't just jump on porous ceramic and think it's the perfect answer; it's not the be all and end all. Sure, it won't short, but it's very fragile, takes a long time to get up to temperature, and stays hot much longer. This is the world of genesis atomizers, the promise of frustration and the possibility of an excellent vape.

Check out Zen's videos on youtube, keeping a moderate amount of tension, spinning the mod, and simply guiding the wire onto the wick works best for me. Believe me, I've tried all the methods out there, and the only way to do it is to practice and get that magic touch.

Kindly disagree about the drill bit being a trick for when you can't get it right. It not only produces the perfect coil, but allows one to easily remove wick for cleaning/replacing without replacing a perfectly great coil.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Full disclosure, I haven't had a chance to try ceramic yet.

i am still looking for the end all, it seems like nothing is just right yet, maybe in time. but the ceramic is a must try if you can get hold of some. i suppose in the months to come everyone will stock them, but for now they are elusive. i have been vaping them for about a month and am just blown away with the flavor. i had heard things about them clogging up, but the fc-2000 ones havent yet after almost a month. maybe the fish ones do, i dont know. anyways well talk to you later.

jhiga

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2013
Honolulu
It doesn't sound like you've changed how you're doing it at all. Clearly the peter K method isn't "perfect" for you. Unless you're just looking to vent about how frustrating genesis is (and it is), you may just want to try something else.

I agree. I'm back to my carto/tank setup for a little bit while I wait for more SS mesh to come in, after I wasted a bunch of it in pure frustration :D

I'm not mad, though. It just taught me a good lesson. I'm buying a new screwdriver for myself in the morning, I left my old magic screwdriver at my buddy's house so he could use it for his RBA. Which is fine, I like helping a fellow vaper out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread