Sony VTC 3/4 comparison?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niten13

Verified Member
Nov 18, 2014
Tigard, OR, USA
Morning Vapers,

I have been running a King 3 Mech mod for about a month now and the Vape shop I picked it up at sold me a Sony VTC 3 battery with it. Works great and all but just has a shorter lifespan. I know there are a lot of threads on spotting Fake VTC batteries that are out there on the market and by comparison the VTC 3 looks authentic. Here comes the good part. Stopped by another shop about a week ago to pick up a VTC4 for a little extra vaping time and I am having trouble identifying if its actually a re-wrap. The VTC3 has the standard looking dimple of all the pictures I checked out and the VTC4 has more of a ripple. The VTC4 (on the right) is quite a darker shade of green and has the bright bar code label on it that is a sign on most fakes as far as I can tell, and has quite a thicker seam running down the side (the seam looks pretty clean, not all botchy)

Anyone with a little more insight on this?
IMAG5818_BURST002.jpg IMAG5817_BURST002.jpg IMAG5820_BURST002.jpg IMAG5821_BURST002.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Niten13

Verified Member
Nov 18, 2014
Tigard, OR, USA
IMO, from what I can see from your pictures both batteries are fakes.
The dimple around the positive end is too pronounced / too large of a gap on both.
The positive contact on the one on the right is too depressed.

So my next Q is can anyone Identify either of these? the "VTC4" seems to be more along the lines of the rewrapped Samung 25R? with a 20 amp rating. I am curious due to running a .7 ohm DC setup on my RDA, trying to stay in my nice Safevape range

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
So my next Q is can anyone Identify either of these? the "VTC4" seems to be more along the lines of the rewrapped Samung 25R? with a 20 amp rating. I am curious due to running a .7 ohm DC setup on my RDA, trying to stay in my nice Safevape range

I won't speculate as to what battery they might be or what their safe usage range might be.
The problem with fakes is they could be anything from harvested from recycled battery pack used authentic's to new low amp & quality rejects of unknown cell origin or anything in between.

The only ways to determine what exact battery they are is to test them and compare results to known authentic battery spec sheets until a match is found, or, if you want to be positive disassemble them and test the chemical make up of the cathode, which of course would render them unusable.
The samsung has a nickel / maganese oxide cathode (hybrid inr) - the sony has a manganese oxide cathode (standard imr).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread