Status
Not open for further replies.

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
I just thought I would give my impression of the Sony VTC5 batteries. These are 18650s with 2600mah. THey can handle 30 amps continuous. They are a flat top battery. They are the same physical size as the AW IMR 18650, perhaps .5 ml taller.

I ordered 3 batteries. I metered them out of the package with the doohickey. All three metered at 3.54v. Thats impressive as it shows a consistent age on all three after being manufactured and from the same batch. I charged all three on my Nitecore Intellicharger I2 to 4.2v.

I filled my Reo Woodville bottle. I am using an RM2 with a 1 ohm coil. I vaped to 3.7v exactly on two batteries. I had .5 ml left in my bottle. This is twice what I was getting with my Aws. In all fairness the AWs were old but I know these last quite a bit longer. I know people say than can get 1/2 or 3/4 of a bottle out of one AW 18650 but I never could. For me it would take at least 3 to 3.5 changes for me to get that much juice vaped even with new AWs. I know this is anecdotal but works for me.

In a Woodville the flat tops work great because of the design of the firing mechanism. In a Grand flat tops have caused some problems. I believe Rob has said that with the new subohm kit coming out that flat tops should work fine.

I ordered these batteries on Saturday and had them in my mailbox Monday morning. A big shout out to RTDvapers for great customer service. Battery price as $10.29 per battery and $2 shipping and beautifully packed. I bought them from RTD because I had confidence that I would be getting the genuine McCoy. And as a bonus there was a drip tip and a keyring LED flashlight, compliments RTD.

:2c:

Last edited:

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
I have been running these in my Grands without any issues. What sort of problems did flat top cause (or cause some people)?

Depends on what ohm coil you're running with lower ohms exhibiting more of the issue. Because they are further away more of a button press is needed and this can lead to partial contact, sparking and oxidation. Regular cleaning, filing and the liberal use of noalox will solve the problems.

yaypudding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
North of NYC
I use the vtc4 & 5 for my tube mods and they perform great. They usually last me the entire day. I like to use the Panasonic ncr 18650pd's for my woodvil. The pannies are rated to 10 amps, and they have 2900 mah, a perfect 18650 for the woodvil. I only use aw's for my grands, I get too many inconsistencies when using flat top, and I tend to button mash waiting for the mod to fire, which can get frustrating.

predwing

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2012
TriCites Tennessee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread