Spruce up your Bulli A2T or Bulli A2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Using information readily found from the industry, I improved the vaping characteristics of the A2.

The stock A2 comes with 0.15mm kanthal wire - that has a resistance of 1.2 Omh/in. A regular coil is 5 wraps from the Bulli videos. Increasing the number of wraps will of course increase the overall resistance of the coil. Too many these days that would be an unwelcome addition - for some reason most folks prefer LRs.

Is there a way to have a greater surface area for vaporizing the liquid without the sacrifice in resistance? Yes! use a thicker wire.

The idea is not mine but rather stems from discussion with tightly wrapped coils on atomizers and having more wraps (notice no specifics are mentioned here). The rationale is that it created a larger surface area, and it does... When one has the ability to rebuild their own atties, it is relatively easy to improve them. I ordered several thickness of kanthal wire from here kenthal wire after studying my theory for a while. I ordered:

• 0.13mm - 2.5 Ohm/in;
  • 0.20mm - 1.1 Ohm/in; and
  • 0.25mm - 0.7 Ohm/in
I used the 0.25mm wire and wrapped a coil with 10 wraps, result a 1.8Ohm coil that vapes like a chimney. It is not easy to get the wraps tight and even holding the build in your hand, so I used my fly tying vise that did the job superbly :) as it provided the extra support and stiffness required to pull off the task.

The rationale for this experiment was that a thicker wire would not burn through as easily as a thinner one, and I needed the thicker wire in order to get more wraps. I doubt that I will be using the 0.13mm but I will definitely attempt HV atties using the 0.20mm

I thought I would share this info with folks. Hope you find the info valuable :)

PS: this should work with any rebuildable atty not just the A2

Stownz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2010
Guthrie, OK
I've had to revert to looser coils around the wick so that I could keep up with chain hits. Problem I had with the bulli wick is that you could pinch it because it is so soft. If the coils are too loose though, you get a wicking issue as well. Goal was to have the coil touching the wick, but not crush it. I finnaly got the Nextel 116 in, and its a LOT stiffer and solved my dilema. You can wrap pretty easy on it without crushing.

Need to build me a winder like yours though so I can get the coils closer together!

edgedemon

Aug 27, 2011
London
Using information readily found from the industry, I improved the vaping characteristics of the A2.

The stock A2 comes with 0.15mm kanthal wire - that has a resistance of 1.2 Omh/in. A regular coil is 5 wraps from the Bulli videos. Increasing the number of wraps will of course increase the overall resistance of the coil. Too many these days that would be an unwelcome addition - for some reason most folks prefer LRs.

Is there a way to have a greater surface area for vaporizing the liquid without the sacrifice in resistance? Yes! use a thicker wire.

The idea is not mine but rather stems from discussion with tightly wrapped coils on atomizers and having more wraps (notice no specifics are mentioned here). The rationale is that it created a larger surface area, and it does... When one has the ability to rebuild their own atties, it is relatively easy to improve them. I ordered several thickness of kanthal wire from here kenthal wire after studying my theory for a while. I ordered:

• 0.13mm - 2.5 Ohm/in;
  • 0.20mm - 1.1 Ohm/in; and
  • 0.25mm - 0.7 Ohm/in
I used the 0.25mm wire and wrapped a coil with 10 wraps, result a 1.8Ohm coil that vapes like a chimney. It is not easy to get the wraps tight and even holding the build in your hand, so I used my fly tying vise that did the job superbly :) as it provided the extra support and stiffness required to pull off the task.

Are you talking about the Kanthal D - 0.25 mm - 10 m - 27.8 ohm/m wire here?
Kanthal D - 0.25 mm - 10 m - 27.8 ohm/m »

I ask as the ohm value is different?

Will I be able to do this with a standard ego battery?
I have 2 x standard 650mAh ego batteries
1 x 1100mAh ego extented battery
I have a 900mAh variable voltage battery on order so have the option to for variable voltage if that will help?

Thx

meatsneakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
NYC
I switched to 32awg nichrome from 36 and 34 @ 1.4ohms. The hits aren't as hot (not by much) but vapor production is much higher. The coils also last way longer, especially if I accidentally hit it dry. This is with a stainless mesh wick. The only negative is that it's harder to wrap because it isn't as flexible, but in the end I save time anyway since they're less likely to pop.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Are you talking about the Kanthal D - 0.25 mm - 10 m - 27.8 ohm/m wire here?
Kanthal D - 0.25 mm - 10 m - 27.8 ohm/m »

I ask as the ohm value is different?

Will I be able to do this with a standard ego battery?
I have 2 x standard 650mAh ego batteries
1 x 1100mAh ego extented battery
I have a 900mAh variable voltage battery on order so have the option to for variable voltage if that will help?

Thx
Yes that is where I got my wire from.

Personally I don't use anything under 2.2Ohms on my eGo batteries. Besides I do not like the look of the Bulli in an eGo.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I switched to 32awg nichrome from 36 and 34 @ 1.4ohms. The hits aren't as hot (not by much) but vapor production is much higher. The coils also last way longer, especially if I accidentally hit it dry. This is with a stainless mesh wick. The only negative is that it's harder to wrap because it isn't as flexible, but in the end I save time anyway since they're less likely to pop.
The only negative effect that I am aware of at this point in time is that with the thicker wire, it takes longer to heat up. e.g you need to take a couple of primer puffs that could be annoying to some. I normally (all PVs) hit the switch while the PV is on its way to my mouth and continue to vape for 1 sec pass the switch release. So it is no biggy so to speak, but with the Bulli, I activate a couple of seconds before I vape and it seems to work so much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread