Squonker Recs, if you will

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmee

Sep 21, 2017
Hey there,

I'm looking to get myself some nice BF mod in preparation for the planned acquisition of one of those most tragically diseased bunnies and potentially also that new Drop thingy from DigiFlavor.
I've been looking through the discussions of the most recently released mods here, but nothing really caught my eye.
Thing is, I do have that puny little list of requirements that potential candidates have to meet. Maybe some of you folks with a bit more overview could be so kind as to point me towards some devices that could qualify.

Here we go:
  • regulated please. I don't feel confident enough to go for mechanical mods and I do appreciate the security features that the chips provide these days.
  • decent TC performance. I like my DNA and Dicodes chips for how they do TC. But I have a totally new definition of dislike for asMODus' GX-180-HT chip and the YiHi SX330 that I have in my IPV8.
  • available in shops. I don't have Facebook and I will certainly not sign up just to buy a mod
  • min 24 mm platform, the bunny craves it.
  • powered by 18650s. I do not own batteries of any other size, but I do have a considerable amount in that form factor lying around.
  • no need for high power. I feel most comfortable at around .8 ohms and never went above 50 Watts, ever.
  • max price of 200 euro.
  • possibility to get hold of spare bottles would be nice
I do realize that the Therion BF actually meets these requirements and I will get one of those if there's nothing else out there. But I already own a normal Therion and I'd prefer something different if possible.
So, is there anything out there that is like the Therion BF but not actually the Therion BF?

Thanks,
shmee

shmee

Sep 21, 2017
Yeah, I thought that it would be difficult with me being that nit-picky when it comes to my preferences. I have been browsing shops back and forth but came up with nothing.
Another difficulty is that I live in Germany. Our legislator found it necessary to make us wait for six months before any new device can hit the market ... for reasons.

I have actually seen the HCigar before, but totally forgot about it. Anyway, it does not seem to be available for me yet, probably for the above-mentioned reason. But I'll keep it in mind. Thanks Hitcat.

I would not even mind going above the 200 euro limit, but then the looks would really need to catch on as well.

Reactions: Heartsdelight

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
For about $430 U.S. there is the Palm BF by MMVapors. I like it in the black Delrin and the Ergonomics appear to be awesome but the Aesthetics are (as always) subjective.
Besides, that definitely busts the Price Point expectation AND may be in the same "6-month Waiting Period" boat as well.
I found this when I was looking about last week which would fit the Price Point and is DNA75C chipped:
Palm DNA75C Squonk 20700 | 21700 Box MOD by USmodz

But, looks to not have any proven "Pedigree" on the Manufacturer of the Mod itself AND says No Int'l shipping so would have to "boot" around that too.

shmee

Sep 21, 2017
[...]Just google “ dna squonker “ and see what you get.

Been there, done that ;)
Not much of an outcome, though.

For about $430 U.S. there is the Palm BF by MMVapors. I like it in the black Delrin and the Ergonomics appear to be awesome but the Aesthetics are (as always) subjective.
Besides, that definitely busts the Price Point expectation AND may be in the same "6-month Waiting Period" boat as well.
I found this when I was looking about last week which would fit the Price Point and is DNA75C chipped:
Palm DNA75C Squonk 20700 | 21700 Box MOD by USmodz

But, looks to not have any proven "Pedigree" on the Manufacturer of the Mod itself AND says No Int'l shipping so would have to "boot" around that too.

These two actually look quite nice. I'll put them on my list!

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
I wouldn't take a DNA sqonker as a gift. From my own Mother. I'd throw it at her. In fact I'd slap her then throw it at her. I'm looking at 500 dollars worth of dead DNA squonkers now, a Drone and a Rebel. Just crap chips IMHO.

My regulated China squonkers are all doing fine. The Wraith if you can find one is the deal of the century.

Your low power needs would be ideal for any of the 93 billion 3D printed mechs, to bad you don't like them.

I believe Rebel Vapes has a regulated single battery squonker with a garbage DNA chip and I know Ginger Vapers has one.

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
If you decide to completely abandon your financial restraints, you may find this to your liking. Vanguard (The Gargoyle) - Vicious Ant
Expensive, but to me it looks killer, albeit way out of my range, I'm happy with my mech squonks....there is a coming flood of regulated squonkers in the pipeline. Your budget is right between the cheapos and the super spendy. Ever consider having one custom made for you? You could likely do that with your budget.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Wraith, 29.99 Council of Vapor Wraith 80w Squonker Box Mod

have one, great device for the price (look for the 10% coupon they always have, cant remember it right now though)
ad claims Ti and Ni but no SS. Could be an issue if OP wants to TC. Also explains why its cheap.

Does have the advantage of being around for 6 months though so he may be able to actually get it.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Dude, you're in Europe! Only the price point is your limiting factor.

Look into Geekay. He's based out of Malaysia and has a heavy bent toward European and Asian mods, squonking and flavour RBAs. Damn fine reviewer, IMO.

http://www.geekayvapes.com/dpm-li-mo/

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
ad claims Ti and Ni but no SS. Could be an issue if OP wants to TC. Also explains why its cheap.

Does have the advantage of being around for 6 months though so he may be able to actually get it.
I believe it's discontinued by now, I'm happy with mine for what it's / cost me. But I squonk with mechs most the time (REO / CopperVape, Driptech DS now!)

Rathamar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Mound - Minnesota, USA
Hcigar Inbox (DNA75) maybe?
I have one and it's cool but do prefer my Therion BF for several subjective/objective reasons & facets.

I second the recommendation for the InBox. I have 2 and they are my daily drivers. I know some have issues with the DNA Boards - but I have never had an issue with mine. They worked out of the box and one has been going for a year or more.

I have one and it does have a SS option on it, though temp control is no where near as reliable as a DNA board. It works, but it requires a lot more fiddling with it to get it to work right.

Pic of the Wraith in SS mode
37931889982_c0478503bc_z.jpg

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
I wouldn't take a DNA sqonker as a gift. From my own Mother. I'd throw it at her. In fact I'd slap her then throw it at her. I'm looking at 500 dollars worth of dead DNA squonkers now, a Drone and a Rebel. Just crap chips IMHO.

My regulated China squonkers are all doing fine. The Wraith if you can find one is the deal of the century.

Your low power needs would be ideal for any of the 93 billion 3D printed mechs, to bad you don't like them.

I believe Rebel Vapes has a regulated single battery squonker with a garbage DNA chip and I know Ginger Vapers has one.

Could you tell us how you really feel about DNA chips? Please, don't hold back.
:)

10mmshooter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
WA
Wow, you must have bad luck. I have 10 dna devices, and just picked up another. Zero issues.

Have you tried to contact Evolv to see why yours are failing.

shmee

Sep 21, 2017
If you decide to completely abandon your financial restraints, you may find this to your liking. Vanguard (The Gargoyle) - Vicious Ant
Expensive, but to me it looks killer, [...]
I second that. An awesome looking device that is. Seeing that it is coming with a YiHi board made me go back to my IPV8 to give it another try in TC. My normal settings on the DNA and the Dicodes boards are at around 215 °C with a power cap of 40W. With the SX330, I had to go up to 250 °C, capped at 50J, to get a comparable vape experience. That being said, it was actually quite a smooth and consistent vape at that point. So, I might rethink my aversion to the YiHi chipsets. In the end, I care more about a consistently satisfying vape than about the values I need to dial in to get to that point.
Unfortunately, the few European sites listing that mod don't have it in stock right now. And I'm reluctant to order overseas. The EU is currently tightening import supervision due to the recent influx of cheap consumer electronics form companies like Gearbest. If your shipment gets intercepted by customs officials and contains products that the seller has not registered with the authorities, it might be destroyed without you ever seeing it. I don't want to risk that with sth. that expensive.
But if I come across the Vanguard in the EU, I'll most probably get myself one. Really, really like it!

Ever consider having one custom made for you? You could likely do that with your budget.
Yes, I did actually. Not sure about the availability outside Facebook, though. I'll be looking for modders that run their own shops. If anyone has a recommendation, that'd be appreciated.

Wraith, 29.99 Council of Vapor Wraith 80w Squonker Box Mod

have one, great device for the price (look for the 10% coupon they always have, cant remember it right now though)
I stumbled upon the Wraith via the link Hitcat posted earlier. Not too sure about the 5 mil capacity of the bottle and the TC performance. Also, I don't know if I like the position of the fire button. I might just give it a try if I find it really cheap somewhere. But a quick search came up with prices at around 70 Euro in European shops.
Btw, an SS setting for TC is an absolute must-have. That's practically the only material I vape these days. Should have mentioned that in my list.

Re the InBox. I'm not the biggest fan of that boxy design. Pre-order prices seem to be similar to what the Therion BF is being sold for, so in direct comparison I'd probably choose the latter.

Again, thanks for your input, really greately appreciated!

Rathamar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Mound - Minnesota, USA
I second that. An awesome looking device that is. Seeing that it is coming with a YiHi board made me go back to my IPV8 to give it another try in TC. My normal settings on the DNA and the Dicodes boards are at around 215 °C with a power cap of 40W. With the SX330, I had to go up to 250 °C, capped at 50J, to get a comparable vape experience. That being said, it was actually quite a smooth and consistent vape at that point. So, I might rethink my aversion to the YiHi chipsets. In the end, I care more about a consistently satisfying vape than about the values I need to dial in to get to that point.
Unfortunately, the few European sites listing that mod don't have it in stock right now. And I'm reluctant to order overseas. The EU is currently tightening import supervision due to the recent influx of cheap consumer electronics form companies like Gearbest. If your shipment gets intercepted by customs officials and contains products that the seller has not registered with the authorities, it might be destroyed without you ever seeing it. I don't want to risk that with sth. that expensive.
But if I come across the Vanguard in the EU, I'll most probably get myself one. Really, really like it!

Yes, I did actually. Not sure about the availability outside Facebook, though. I'll be looking for modders that run their own shops. If anyone has a recommendation, that'd be appreciated.

I stumbled upon the Wraith via the link Hitcat posted earlier. Not too sure about the 5 mil capacity of the bottle and the TC performance. Also, I don't know if I like the position of the fire button. I might just give it a try if I find it really cheap somewhere. But a quick search came up with prices at around 70 Euro in European shops.
Btw, an SS setting for TC is an absolute must-have. That's practically the only material I vape these days. Should have mentioned that in my list.

Re the InBox. I'm not the biggest fan of that boxy design. Pre-order prices seem to be similar to what the Therion BF is being sold for, so in direct comparison I'd probably choose the latter.

Again, thanks for your input, really greately appreciated!

The Bottle on the Wraith is about 10 mil not 5. I own one and can confirm that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread