SS round wire in mech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
So I've been using an unregulated and have been venturing a little bit into mods with no protection at all other than my own brain (scary lol).

Anyway I was on a Facebook group and they were talking about stainless steel round wire being too soft to use on mechanical mods because it would "move around". Now I frequently use stainless steel 24 gauge round in my unregulated mosfet devices at 2.5id. I haven't had any of my unregs not fire or give me a warning light or anything like that.

I've heard that stainless steel jumps around more as far as resistance goes then some wire (i use n200 in tc on reg mods) and I do have Kanthal available I'm not a big fan of ni80. Is there any real risk to this idea that stainless steel being soft means that my coil is going to move around and could possibly cause a hard short? I mean they're talking like if you use stainless steel round wire in a Mech you're going to experience a hard short regardless of what else you're doing and I haven't really ever heard that even though I have heard some other reasons to not use stainless steel mainly due to the resistance jumping on the other hand they said that fused Clapton or whatever stainless steel is fine because it's stronger so I don't think they're referring to resistance jumping or resistance moving I think they actually mean the physical coil is going to move

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
That is ridiculous and you can disregard anything said by those that were saying that. Have you ever seen a coil of any type move? Yes with SS the resistance changes when heated but the resistance goes up. As long as the resistance of the coils is safe when the coils are cold you're good. I've used SS coils with mech mods many times.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
That is ridiculous and you can disregard anything said by those that were saying that. Have you ever seen a coil of any type move? Yes with SS the resistance changes when heated but the resistance goes up. As long as the resistance of the coils is safe when the coils are cold you're good. I've used SS coils with mech mods many times.
You are the exact individual that I really wanted to ask this question to! Thank you I thought it sounded like a load of crap.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I want to set up my armageddon squonk with the wasp nano today. Up until now Ive been primarily using things w/ safety chips like the luxotic bf & innokin bastion liftbox w the NarCa
You'll be fine and you'll like that mod. They are great little squonkers.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
You'll be fine and you'll like that mod. They are great little squonkers.
While you're here I have a few Samsung 25r that's what I was planning on using.. is that still considered a good battery for mechs? And I'm looking into getting some more batteries I have only single battery Mechanicals what batteries do you like the best as far as 18 650s go

• Love
Reactions: Don29palms

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
While you're here I have a few Samsung 25r that's what I was planning on using.. is that still considered a good battery for mechs? And I'm looking into getting some more batteries I have only single battery Mechanicals what batteries do you like the best as far as 18 650s go
Yes 25Rs are good batteries. I have a bunch of them. I've been replacing them with Samsung 20S batteries. I like the 20S better but they have a little less battery life. It not bad and worth the trade off for mech mods and unregulated mods. Of course this is just my opinion.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
This kind of misinformation is kind of ridiculous. Coils don't roam around inside the rda (as long as you did your part and installed them correctly) no matter if it is SS, K1, or Nichrome.

I second the recommendation for the 20S. Great battery for mechs especially. But to pinpoint your best options, mind if I ask what ohm range you plan to run? That makes all the difference in battery choice.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
This kind of misinformation is kind of ridiculous. Coils don't roam around inside the rda (as long as you did your part and installed them correctly) no matter if it is SS, K1, or Nichrome.

I second the recommendation for the 20S. Great battery for mechs especially. But to pinpoint your best options, mind if I ask what ohm range you plan to run? That makes all the difference in battery choice.
I usually like .25 to .35 ish when I'm using something with like a safety chip of some sort but without regulation. I don't need any lower than that usually to be happy. Today I ended up building at a little bit higher than usual simply because my batteries aren't brand new and it was the first time I really used my Armageddon for longer than just 10 minutes to check it out. I probably don't need 30 amp batteries because I don't go into that area where they become necessary but who knows what ill want to do in 3 months..lol

Heck when I first started picking up some stuff just to have in case of bans I thought I would never vape below 0.5 LOL

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA

It was like a big circle jerk of guys acting like they knew everything and that whatever they said was written in stone somewhere LOL I didn't end up correcting them because it's just not worth it if they want to think that their stainless steel coils are literally moving around either theyre vaping on 32 gauge wire or they're not tightening their leads or somethin. A lot of the stuff that you see on Facebook groups are kind of crazy especially when it comes to Mech Mods. But since I am relatively new still I wanted to verify that I wasn't completely wrong even though it sounded like a load of crap LOL

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
That's why I was never interested in using Facebook. The stupidity is way to prevalent there for me. It was probably a good call just walking away from them.

Never hurts to have some 20S's laying around. Once you find your comfort zone, you can then optimize your battery selection to complement your vape style.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
It was like a big circle jerk of guys acting like they knew everything and that whatever they said was written in stone somewhere LOL I didn't end up correcting them because it's just not worth it if they want to think that their stainless steel coils are literally moving around either theyre vaping on 32 gauge wire or they're not tightening their leads or somethin. A lot of the stuff that you see on Facebook groups are kind of crazy especially when it comes to Mech Mods. But since I am relatively new still I wanted to verify that I wasn't completely wrong even though it sounded like a load of crap LOL
If you're unsure please ask. There are alot of #mechlife people here that you know you can trust. 25Rs are fine for what you are doing now. 20Ss will just give you a little higher ceiling. Like @Zaryk said it wouldn't hurt to have a couple or 4 of 20Ss just in case.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
If you're unsure please ask. There are alot of #mechlife people here that you know you can trust. 25Rs are fine for what you are doing now. 20Ss will just give you a little higher ceiling. Like @Zaryk said it wouldn't hurt to have a couple or 4 of 20Ss just in case.
Absolutely that's why I came right here after I saw that on Facebook to verify to see if there was any concern that I needed to have I didn't think there was but just in case. I appreciate you fine mechlife ppl :)

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
@Don29palms @Zaryk
I was just wondering what amount of sparking or arcing is acceptable if any? I see a tiny miniscule little Spark that I just noticed it's probably been there the whole time but I wasn't paying attention. It's not leaving like any char marks or anything but then again once I noticed that only took a couple more Puffs before I put it down and took the battery out to come over here. I'm pretty sure that Sparks can happen whenever you have contacts with any kind battery device and this is like a very miniscule little tiny flash but just enough that I notice it through the clear door of my Armageddon. I'd like to get a little bit more information about this before I proceed I did try kind of wiping it down w/ alcohol to see if that would stop it but it didn't seem to make any difference

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
@Don29palms @Zaryk
I was just wondering what amount of sparking or arcing is acceptable if any? I see a tiny miniscule little Spark that I just noticed it's probably been there the whole time but I wasn't paying attention. It's not leaving like any char marks or anything but then again once I noticed that only took a couple more Puffs before I put it down and took the battery out to come over here. I'm pretty sure that Sparks can happen whenever you have contacts with any kind battery device and this is like a very miniscule little tiny flash but just enough that I notice it through the clear door of my Armageddon. I'd like to get a little bit more information about this before I proceed I did try kind of wiping it down w/ alcohol to see if that would stop it but it didn't seem to make any difference

There is almost always a little sparking (better know as arching) but the slower you push the button the more you will see it. The electricity will jump the gap between the two metals when they get very close to each other, that's just the nature of the beast.

Sounds like yours is very minimal, just clean it up when your done with the mod, and all should be fine. If you still want to minimize the arching the best you can, some Deoxit contact cleaner will also reduce the arching to next to nothing.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
There is almost always a little sparking (better know as arching) but the slower you push the button the more you will see it. The electricity will jump the gap between the two metals when they get very close to each other, that's just the nature of the beast.

Sounds like yours is very minimal, just clean it up when your done with the mod, and all should be fine. If you still want to minimize the arching the best you can, some Deoxit contact cleaner will also reduce the arching to next to nothing.
Awesome..that makes a lot of sense thanks for explaining exactly why it does it. That helped a lot. Thank you

Reactions: Zaryk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread