SS Wick touching center post in AGA-T+ tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
No...
As long as the coil is set properly, you are fine.

Don't over think it...
When you over think a hotspot, you start to fix things that aren't broken, thus creating more problems...

IF there is a really bright spot on your coil, then you have found your problem area... fix it and move on. :toast:

When your coil has not hotspots, it doesnt matter what the mesh is touching (in the case of a genisis tank)

EDIT:
Sometimes, a few seconds of pulsing the fire button fixes very small hot spots...
Small fix for a small problem ;)

Last edited:

4matic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2011
CA
No...
As long as the coil is set properly, you are fine.

Don't over think it...
When you over think a hotspot, you start to fix things that aren't broken, thus creating more problems...

IF there is a really bright spot on your coil, then you have found your problem area... fix it and move on. :toast:

When your coil has not hotspots, it doesnt matter what the mesh is touching (in the case of a genisis tank)

EDIT:
Sometimes, a few seconds of pulsing the fire button fixes very small hot spots...
Small fix for a small problem ;)

Yeah I TRY not to over think this and simplify it as much as possible lol .

My hot spot almost always is at the bridge bw positive post and wick (which I think is where most people have hot spots). I find that yes moving the wick closer to the positive post does eliminate that specific hot spot but I really don't want to be doing that. I'll probably try to rewrap the coil making it a little more even all around and see if that helps.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
It IS possible that the wick touching the center post is causing a short if your wick is not oxidized properly. typically the hot spot going from the positive post to the wick is due to the coil shorting out IMMEDIATELY as it touches the wick... So it only energizes the very top leg of the coil. This is a clear indication that your wick is shorting out against the metal somewhere along the path. It could be where it passes through the top cap... It could be where it touches the bottom cap... could be where it touches the center post...

Anywhere that wick is touching metal is a potential path to ground, and those points in particular need to be well oxidized.

If the wick has no path to ground, you can wrap a coil around it and ONLY the coil will glow.

This process is painful... I won't lie, I haven't perfected it, but my background in electrical theory knows precisely what the problem is... I just haven't perfected a method to eliminate the problem...

Yet... :evil:

4matic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2011
CA
Make sure your coil isn't wrapped too tight around the wick, if it is then it has a potential to break through the oxide layer and short out. If your wick is properly oxidized and your coil has the right tension then it doesn't matter what your wick is touching.

Thank you this makes a lot of sense...And a hot spot is a result of shorting out right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread