SS Woven Mesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingmanJudas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2012
Kandiyohi MN
I'm assuming you mean they put a small piece of ss mesh around the silica wick. Some people prefer the flavor from ss mesh and in a device that is not made for ss mesh, its probably a good idea. I've never tried it but might do soon. For me I would feel safer vaping juice from mesh than I would from silica. I have read a few things on potential dangers of using silica but I tried genesis style RBAs and didn't like the consistency of the vape so I still use silica.

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
The primary reason for the ss mesh is because you cannot burn it, so you roll a wick and it lasts forever, minimizing the need to do maintanance on your device once you got it set up. It also means that you could run your coil extremely hot, im talking 15-20 watts, and not burn your wick to oblivion.

Ss mesh is hard to use since you need to roll a very, very good wick to achieve the wicking ability of a silica wick or cotton.

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
Hello Brisea and Welcome to ECF,

The reason some people use either a cotton or silica wick inside their mesh is for better or faster wicking. Some say it also keeps their juice clean, sometimes when a wick has been over oxidised or just ages over time it tends to make the juice darker. You can also wrap cotton around your mesh wick and that helps prevent hotspots, can improve wicking and can be quite rewarding if you get frustrated with hotspots as a newbie.

Not many people Vape at 20 watts, firstly it kills your batteries and secondly you can achieve the same vape with less watts. Most people vape between anywhere between 5 to 10 watts. Just because a device offers you 20 watts doesn't mean you have to use it at 20 watts.

It really isn't rocket science to roll a wick, once you've made the wick, always roll from the center > out and always in the same direction. In other words don't roll it back and forth. Make sure the edge of your mesh is either turned in or that there are no little threads touching the coil, those little threads love wrecking havoc and can make many hotspots, you can also burn them off with a lighter before you roll the wick.

There is no "this is the perfect wick for everyone", some like to use more mesh for stiff solid wicks, whilst others prefer less mesh more pliable wicks. Some like 325#, some 400#, some 500# and some 600# SS, it's not all the same and only experimenting will tell you what you like best. It also depends if you are averse to tilting your mod when you vape.

You still need to maintain your coil and wick, irrespective of what it's made of. Coils gunk up just as fast as any other method, depending on amount of juice vaped and type of juice used, mesh clogs up too. Yes, the mesh is very long lasting, but it does degrade over time.

@ WingmanJudas: There are No Potential Dangers to Silica!!! Where did you read this mis-information? Please provide the source.

Brisea

Feb 22, 2013
Illinois
Thanks for the Replies everyone.

So far I've used Silica and 100% cotton yarn (boiled). and find the yarn much easier to work with. I really can't tell a big difference in taste and haven't used either type long enough to tell witch last longer or changes flavor. Every atty I've built, (about 5-6 so far) have fallen between 1.8 and 2.2 ohms. I was worried about how difficult this would be but I find it to be rather easy to do. I will try to use the mesh on my Phoenix RBA and see how it does next time. I think it would be difficult to do on the Vivi Nova's but I'll try that to if it works well on my Phoenix.

Last edited:

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
Wasn't a fan of SS wick. Worked well. Made several and after the second day of use throat was irritated and was getting headaches. Stopped immediately after discontinuing use of Ss wicks. Maybe related, maybe coincidence but, I'm back to silica until my hemp twine arrives. Just not so sure about how the oxidized coating affects the liquid and possibly reacts to direct contact with the heated coil. Just know it seemed to affect me.

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
Harsh hits, sore throat, a nasty smell or acrid taste are often signs of a mesh set up with hot spots.
When you set your mesh/coil make sure your tank is empty. Wet the wick/coil with juice, a drop at a time, whilst pulsing the fire button, use almost flat batteries and set your device to lowest voltage.

When the whole coil glows evenly all the way, you've cracked it, slowly build your voltage to your desired preference constantly checking that your coil is still heating evenly, if that's the case fill tank and vape on. Make sure your coil hugs the mesh. You need full contact at all times. A wobbly wick in the coil is no good. Practice, practice, practice.

A good idea is to have a fully charged ego bat and carto/clearo on standby, to avoid any added frustration.

Sometimes it's a simple case of reducing your nic, mesh and cotton are both known to give bigger nic hits than other set-ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread