Stainless steel in power mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Vito

Feb 13, 2018

Joe Vito

Feb 13, 2018
That looks like a combo of a Kanthal (A1) core with SS wrapping. It HAS to be used in power mode.

SS by itself can be run in either TC or power mode.

So you need to run what you linked to in power mode since it has a kanthal core.
Okay awesome thanks for the quick reply. Some customers posted pictures of their builds and these bad boys look great, can’t wait!

Reactions: stols001

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Do I set my wattage the same I would with regular Kanthal? I heard that SS should be vaped at low wattages

vape your build like any other build you use, start at a low wattage and adjust up until you hit your sweet spot. When SS heats up the resistance will fluctuate a bit so don't be concerned if you see that, it will return to the normal resistance once the wire cools.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have never heard that vaping higher wattages is bad with SS, you can pretty much use it exactly the same way that you do kanthal, it's just that your build may be slightly different to get to the same result.

I have heard that intensely dry burning SS coils can be harmful, but we are talking, no liquid or wick in the coil, just dry burning on an ohm's reader. I have heard it may be better to use a combination of cleaning/washing and then gently PULSING coils to check for hot spots and whatnot, as dry burning SS "may" release some byproducts that are undesirable, but the jury is still out on even that one, I think.

I still clean my coils and then gently pulse them, I start with a good wash, scrub with a toothbrush, then swab away any visible gunk inside the coil with a q-tip dipped in alcohol then gently pulse. I think my coils actually get cleaner that way anyway, which is mostly why I do it, although I see no reason to elevate my risk at all. I have had 0 issues just using SS coils in regular wattage mode, though.

Best of luck,

Anna

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So I just ordered a spool of alien Clapton coil....realized that it is stainless steel. I heard somewhere stainless steel is specifically for temp control. Should I cancel the order before it ships or power mode is okay? Here’s the link if interested in what I bought

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077...apton+coil&dpPl=1&dpID=51YToJmt-7L&ref=plSrch

Do I set my wattage the same I would with regular Kanthal? I heard that SS should be vaped at low wattages

I dunno where you are Hearing all this Stuff?

SS is fine in Power Mode. As is a Kanthal Core/SS Wrap wire.

And just Set your Wattage where it Tastes the Best.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
SS in power mode is my adv.

Be careful to ramp up your power when you first pulse new coils with SS.

If you slam the coil with 40watts or more you can easily snap it.

As you ramp up power, keep watching the color of the SS as you pulse it....it's really cool to watch[emoji4]

Are you going to wrap your own coils or only use premades?

Joe Vito

Feb 13, 2018
SS in power mode is my adv.

Be careful to ramp up your power when you first pulse new coils with SS.

If you slam the coil with 40watts or more you can easily snap it.

As you ramp up power, keep watching the color of the SS as you pulse it....it's really cool to watch[emoji4]

Are you going to wrap your own coils or only use premades?
We’ll it’s a pre wrapped spool.

It’s weird because I have to put it on my mech just to pulse it real quick before I can even put it on my regulated because pre-pulse the resistance is too low and my regulated won’t fire it. I guess as you pulse the resistance jumps up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread